Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

installing gravel over tarmacadam

Options
  • 15-03-2006 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

I have a tarmacadam driveway and am thinking of spreading gravel over it. has anyone ever done this? Is it as easy as raising the levels around it to around 4 inches and spreading the stone?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

dare I ask why?

what type of gravel are you planning on putting down?

you could concievably put down millwaste (theres another more proper name i'm sure) it's basically coarse gravel with crushed stone as well, compacts into a very solid surface, but you'll need a few inches of it really to stop the tarmac showing through.

if it's pea gravel (round smooth pebbles) then forget it, it'll just wear down to the tarmac every few days and you'll have to rake it back tidy on a constant basis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭darkbeatz

I bought my house and the driveway was tarmacadm and I hate it :(

I havent picked the stone yet but it will be an angled type stone so it will be easier to keep and will grip the surface better

Advertisement