Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speaker + amp + tv what should i get ?

• 15-03-2006 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭

i am looking for some advice relating to a new setup

i am interested in buying an amp and some 5.1 speakers budget approx 600 euro.

what amp and speakers should i buy and where should i buy them?

also i am interested in buying a new tv. a big lcd i think was looking at these 2

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=315299

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=315306

what u think ? any other recomendations ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Try here for surround sound:

http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/categorydetail.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=5&Sub=100

A lot of ppl recommend them.

The philips LCD seems a bit on the pricey side.
    You could probably get a 42" Panasonic Plasma for that.

Or you could get a cheaper LCD
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=313313
    I own the R41 version of this (along with another view boards posters :) )

I love it and there's a 40" version for 2000 in Currys @ the mo'

So, you could spend a little less on the TV (if you wanted ) a little more on Surround Sound.

Also, If you get a HDTV you should consider getting a DVD player with HDMI output.

But in the end its all down to what and what u wanna pay for it?

Quazzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭crowej

thanks, great site

i am only paying for the speakers getting the tv as a present so thats the reason for the lopsided budget.

i will be hooking a windows media center pc up the the amp and tv.

the 37" philips interests me because its 1080p / ambilight / rediclious ammount of connections. / motorised stand etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

crowej wrote:
    thanks, great site

i am only paying for the speakers getting the tv as a present so thats the reason for the lopsided budget.

i will be hooking a windows media center pc up the the amp and tv.

the 37" philips interests me because its 1080p / ambilight / rediclious ammount of connections. / motorised stand etc.

Well, if the tv is a present then go for it. A friend of mine has the same one (37") and it looks great hanging in his new apt.

Let us know what u decide on?

Quazzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

crowej wrote:

A €3500 present........ nice.

Just wondering, how do you propose to use the "rediclious ammount of connections" with a budget amp that cannot handle them all?

The other way of doing it is to buy a AV amp and run a single HDMI/DVI cable to the tv. no need for all the connections, just one.

I would spend more on the amp and speakers and then you at least can enjoy the sound as well as the picture.

Your 1080p screen will be well on the way to replacement by the time 1080p is a reality for the majority of screen usage.

L.

i will actually be swapping the budget amp with a yamaha 757se thats in my house at the moment the 757 will be going with the tv

• Advertisement

nereid wrote:

Your 1080p screen will be well on the way to replacement by the time 1080p is a reality for the majority of screen usage.

L.

ok this is probably true. so what tv should i get now?

how about the bravia 40" the black one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

crowej wrote:
    ok this is probably true. so what tv should i get now?

how about the bravia 40" the black one ?

That is a very nice screen indeed. The only thing that I didn't like about the sony's was the placement of the component input on the side of the screen. Well on the 26" and 32" models anyway. I didn't look at the 40" - too big for me.

The problem was that they were practically flush with the edge of the screen and they were perpendicular to the screen so any wires would be sticking out the side rather than leading behind the panel.

Just check this out with a model in a shop before you buy.

I have seen the Samsungs, and I really like the M models. The LG's are great too in the size I was looking at (26" - 32"). JVC and Panasonics are nice too.

Have a read on www.avforums.com, there is plenty of realworld experience on there.

L.

Advertisement