Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ensuite 4" waste & venting ?

Options
  • 15-03-2006 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Am putting in an en-suite (without an external wall) and need some advice on waste piping.

If the toilet is going to be used for mainly number 1's :eek: -is it ok to have a possible 3 or 4 bends before it joins another main 4" pipe in a new extension ??

Can I vent this 4" soil pipe internally --ie b/t a wall and a a partition, upto the roof and fit a venting tile ?? is this possible and are these tiles available (not slates)

Can this venting pipe be reduced in size -- ie have a 2" venting pipe coming off the 4" (by a boss) instead of a 4" venting pipe . There is room for either.
    I suppose the connection for the tile will determine this !!

Any input etc would be very helpful.

thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

9"solids

Not an expert, but I'd imagine you require a better than normal drop the 4" waste to cope with the bends, irrespetive of the usage. How would you propose to do this? Under standard floor boards might not be enough if your any distance from the exterion wall.

As regards the vent yes you could bring it to the attic and you could reduce it to 2", but me thinks your attemping to force fit this suite in to an unsuitable location.

Though you could consider the system that is being sold for toilet placed under the stair without access to the main waste. I can't remember the product name, someone will remember though - Watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

You can get a Dergo valve. this sits on top of the pipe and lets air in as you flush( so you dont syphon the water from the traps in the sink) but doesnt let any smell out. This can be placed anywhere on the pipe(on the dry side of course), so you dont need to vent to the attic.
    Martin is refering to the saniflo system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

is it ok to have a possible 3 or 4 bends before it joins another main 4" pipe in a new extension
    Yes, the less you can use the better. Make sure that they have a slight fall away from the toilet and are supported.
    Can I vent this 4" soil pipe internally. Can this venting pipe be reduced in size
    Yes to both, l know them as air admittance valves ( Dergo might be a trade name) here is a link with more info on them Air admittance valve

Saniflo is OK if you dont have a waste pipe option, they can block if excessive toilet paper and other non human waste items are put down them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 9"solids

9"solids

Not an expert, but I'd imagine you require a better than normal drop the 4" waste to cope with the bends.

Just to clarify - the 4 bends will be from about 8" high to zero over the space of 6 foot -that should be enough of a drop. Just getting around a chimney stack and Above floor boards.

flocker wrote:
    l know them as air admittance valves ( Dergo might be a trade name) here is a link with more info on them -Air admittance valve

are normal external venting pipes used for to get rid of smells or to allow air into the soil system in a house to revent siphoning or both?
    If I add one of these Air admittance valves --do I need to bring a 4" or 2" pipe to a roof tile also ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

Just to clarify - the 4 bends will be from about 8" high to zero over the space of 6 foot -that should be enough of a drop. Just getting around a chimney stack and Above floor boards.

Be careful with the fall of the pipe, if you fall away too quickly the water will run away but the solids will be left and could get stuck in a bend. Keep the bends( if you can) horizontal with a slight fall and have the last bend turning down vertical to join into your existing 4" pipe.
    If I add one of these Air admittance valves --do I need to bring a 4" or 2" pipe to a roof tile also ?

No. The AAV prevents smells in the roof space / void area but allows air into the soil pipework to prevent siphoning. AAV are available in 4", 2", 1½".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,194 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

dont know if its any help or whatever, but i recently seen a toilet being installed, that minces up everything and pumps it out a pipe that was less than 4" if i remember correctly.

not sure on price or whatever but i can find out for you if need be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Morning All,

I was just about to post a question on a similar matter, and saw 9"Solids post... Thanks

The water in the En-Suite toilet was getting stagnant, and smelling a bit, and I couldn't work out why. Then on closer inspection I noticed that the soil pipe from the toilet to the main Soil pipe in the floor, is actually what looks like the sort of piping you would use for extracting air. something like this... http://img.ebigchina.com/cdimg/307319/1069713/0/1095842960.jpg

The toilet and the hole where the pipe comes in are about 20cm of line, so I'm wondering if the builders used this type of has been used as a short cut.

Is it usual for this sort of piping to be used?

The En-Suite has always had a bit of a smell, and I'm wondering if when flushed, 'bits' are sticking to the inside of the pipe as its corrugated.

Should this pipe be like the others in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Apip99 wrote:
    Morning All,

I was just about to post a question on a similar matter, and saw 9"Solids post... Thanks

The water in the En-Suite toilet was getting stagnant, and smelling a bit, and I couldn't work out why. Then on closer inspection I noticed that the soil pipe from the toilet to the main Soil pipe in the floor, is actually what looks like the sort of piping you would use for extracting air. something like this... http://img.ebigchina.com/cdimg/307319/1069713/0/1095842960.jpg

The toilet and the hole where the pipe comes in are about 20cm of line, so I'm wondering if the builders used this type of has been used as a short cut.

Is it usual for this sort of piping to be used?

The En-Suite has always had a bit of a smell, and I'm wondering if when flushed, 'bits' are sticking to the inside of the pipe as its corrugated.

Should this pipe be like the others in the house?
    This type of pipe should certainly not be used as a waste pipe. Any waste pipe from a toilet bowl must be smooth walled on the inside.

I actually had reason to check this out about a year ago. I contacted the national standards authority (I think that is the correct title) about this type of flexi-pipe being used as a waste outlet and I got a most helpful chap who did a trawl through their systems and phoned me back the following day and confirmed that the pipes (or their use) are not approved.

The pipe is used by builders when the toilet bowl is off line from the main waste pipe and this is their convenient way of keeping the bowl centred in the en-suite for example while still being able to discharge to the main stack

As I said it was not acceptable or approved a year ago and I see no reason why that situation would have changed in the interim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Agreed but commonly available and used, multiwick

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thats right, they are readily available.

Funny thing is that I talked to a clerk of works with the Council here in Donegal at the time and while he wasn't sure if the pipes had ever been approved for use he informed me that they were being used in a large amount of local authority houses. And its his job to ensure that the proper materials or used:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement