Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you charge travel expenses/

Options
  • 15-03-2006 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi

I was wondering if the self-employed developers out there charge travel expenses etc. when going to meet clients ?

I have an ongoing project with a client who every now and then wants to meet for changes / updates and I'm of the mind that I should be charging mileage / daily rate for thisas up to now I haven't.

Any ideas ?

Cheers
    G

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

personally I dont, because normally I just use public transport - which is cheap and cheerful and cuts overheads :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Depends on the situation. The only time I'm almost certain to charge is on an initial consultation if I have to travel more than 50-100 miles -- the consultation is free, the travel isn't. After that, it would depend on the frequency of trips, how far I'd have to travel, the value of the contract, etc.

It certainly isn't something I'd fix. Fixed prices are for corporations. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭GP

cool, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭jjmax

In that situation I'd charge a "call-out" fee.
    If you feel that your getting called out a lot make it clear that you're charging extra for that and then the client will be less inclined to call you out for a trivial reason.
    Although if you haven't been charging it up to now you'll have to be delicate introducing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I haven't in the past but have never had to go all that far. You're well within your rights to do so I'd assume.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

Travel is time spent. It should be built into your fees in some shape or form.

The important thing I believe is to be clear about your charges before they show up on an invoice so nobody has any suprises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Goodshape wrote:
    I haven't in the past but have never had to go all that far. You're well within your rights to do so I'd assume.
    You can charge a client whatever you want - of course they may not want to pay you...

Seriously, you can charge mileage to go to a meeting with them, but you’re often better off placing this into your overall project costings (this is one of the reasons a lot of bottom feeders can’t make a living from this - they do neither). Civil service rate are often used in such cases - even if using public transport.

Typically people will tend to charge for travel expenses if the client is distant (in another city or country) and/or, as someone suggested it’s a callout situation (although even there I’d try to work it into the callout rate). The same goes for accommodation and meals - try taking the hit for expenses incurred for work done in London, for example, and tell me if you’re not going to pass that on to the client.

Advertisement