Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie 1st Linux Meet-up

• 15-03-2006 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Right we're having our first LUG meeting and it'll be held in UCD:

Room C110 in Arts in UCD
    At - 14:00
    On - Satudray the 25th of March
    meet at the lake in UCD 13:30 if you come early.

There will be signposts, and possibly some refreshments provided by
    netsoc.

Map: http://larry.netsoc.com/campusmap05.jpg
    X marks the spot.

Some of the topics to be discussed will be:
    * Deciding on a name (DubLUG sounds good at the moment) but open to other suggestions.
    * Creating a commitee to run/organise the LUG
    * Deciding on direction of LUG i.e. what will we focus on.
    * Also any newbies looking to install Linux but not sure how can bring their machines along with them and we'll install it for them. If you have a preference for a particular distro of Linux bring your own disc otherwise you can have a choice of openSUSE, Mandriva, Knoppix, Ubuntu etc

More information here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054893537

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

I really dont like meetups being held in Uni's or any kind of meetups for that matter, you may as well just have a uni society, if you want people to go along put it in a neurtal location.
    You immediately are not going to have anyone from trinity or DCU going, and I won't go either even though im not affiliated with any Uni, maybe its just me, but Id prefer a neutral location like a hotel in the city centre or somehting.
    Sorry not trying to be a dick here, just hate uni meetups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

It's on a Saturday and during UCD's mid term break, the place will be empty. This is open to all.

The other option was to try the ilac library, but that was fully booked. A lot of places can't be booked for free. This is free and available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Was hoping to get this thread stickied and locked for info purposes only but no rsponse from MiCr0 yet.

Nadir, why did you post the same message in two different threads? Posting it in the meetup thread would have been enough to get your view across.

Like Syth said the Ilac was unavailable and UCD netsoc very kindly decided to give us a dig out to get started. We'll hopefully find somewhere more convenient for our next meetup but in the mean time we can get organised at UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

Count me in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I'd feel kinda ashamed to turn up, as I removed the Gentoo dualboot from my laptop in favour of more disk space.

• Advertisement

Fenster wrote:
    I'd feel kinda ashamed to turn up, as I removed the Gentoo dualboot from my laptop in favour of more disk space.

If you've an interest in Linux then come along. Promise I won't tell on you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Well Gentoo Linux is my main OS on my desktop, I just feel a bit embarassed turning up to a meeting after I had removed it from my laptop. Which reminds me - I need to put it back on there again...

...once I feel up to the inticracies of internet, power management and sound configuration. Bleh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

nadir wrote:
    You immediately are not going to have anyone from trinity or DCU going
    Eh? Why not?

Turn up anyway Fenster.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

nadir wrote:
    You immediately are not going to have anyone from trinity or DCU going...

<past tense> Well I was in Trinity until they kicked me out :eek: and I'll be going.

Although, to be fair, UCD kicked me out first... >shudders at memories best forgotten<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 thejetset

Can Someone stick Frdora Core 5 (released yesterday) on DVD or cd & post it 2 me.
    PM (private message) me if yes. Give you the address then.

BEN

thejetset wrote:
    Can Someone stick Frdora Core 5 (released yesterday) on DVD or cd & post it 2 me.
    PM (private message) me if yes. Give you the address then.

BEN

Has anyone created a DVD *.iso from the cd images yet? Would love to try it out.

Just thinking there will probably be a freebie DVD on one of the Linux magazines to show off the latest release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

To create dvd iso, download the dvd iso (via bittorrent):
    http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/

I am just burning the CD ISOs' at the moment. I will bring them along.

There'll be a vga connection and a screen, so if anyone wants to prepare a demo of xgl running on their laptops it might look good =0)
    Or something equally kickass...
    (my housemate was trying to get it to run on his ubuntu install. not working yet.)

larryone wrote:
    There'll be a vga connection and a screen, so if anyone wants to prepare a demo of xgl running on their laptops it might look good =0)
    Or something equally kickass...
    (my housemate was trying to get it to run on his ubuntu install. not working yet.)

Would this do?
    Kororaa Xgl Live Cd: http://kororaa.org/static.php?page=static060318-181203

Downloading as we speak. Not sure if it'll run properly on my laptop as its a little low-spec for something that looks this graphic intensive.

Screenshots: http://news.softpedia.com/news/First-XGL-LiveCD-19371.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

I can burn Fedora Core 5 DVD isos at the meeting if anyone needs. I'll burn a couple before hand and bring them in too. It's a quality release, really nice, only gripe is the kernel shipped with it doesn't allow non-gpl'd modules to run so no proprietary drivers until they issue an updated one. Other than that though, I can't recommend it enough!

If anyone is planning to do an install on a laptop at the event, BACK UP EVERYTHING before you come along. What really sucks is when partition magic hangs halfway through moving a partition and you lose all of your mp3s, movies, personal files... I've seen this happen at installfests before. =0(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Well, in all honesty, if your that [brave|stupid] you really are better off with the lesson when it's films/music, and not some company/critcal data :)

He had backed up his college work, so at least he had that... First lesson in computers - never underestimate the volatility of data.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭cyrus the virus

1.Will there be internet acess? you know just in case you have to download something again.
    2. I have no idea where UCD is, how do I get there?:)

Stillorgan road on the first map = N11 on second map.
    On second map up is northeast, first map up is north.
    X marks the spot.
    Yea, I could have put more effort than this into it....
    Number 10 bus from O'Connoll Street will take you about 20 minutes to get there. Bus terminus in on campus. It's the bus terminus to the right of the X on the second map balow.

http://larry.netsoc.com/Screenshot-5.png
    http://larry.netsoc.com/campusmap05.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭cyrus the virus

larryone wrote:
    Stillorgan road on the first map = N11 on second map.
    On second map up is northeast, first map up is north.
    X marks the spot.
    Yea, I could have put more effort than this into it....
    Number 10 bus from O'Connoll Street will take you about 20 minutes to get there. Bus terminus in on campus. It's the bus terminus to the right of the X on the second map balow.

http://larry.netsoc.com/Screenshot-5.png
    http://larry.netsoc.com/campusmap05.jpg

I thought It went futher or is that the 10a.

You're probably thinking of the 10a or something. The 10 goes from phoenix park to UCD. Alot of UCD students also get the 46a, as it is more regular and goes close enough for convenience. It keeps going. But the 10 is handy if you arent sure where you're going. It'll bring you right onto the campus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

Got a visit from the babysitting fairies,
    so it looks like I'll be along.

Looking at the agenda, I'd leave out having a committee
    selection today. There's no need for a small group, and
    without a committee, more people will get involved in
    doing a few bits here and there. Have a committee
    election if you must next month or later.
    This came together without one, though it wouldn't
    have without the "unofficial party whip" contribution
    from jaquian. Nice one.

Catch you soon,
    NiallB

Cool. See you there Niall

Sorry I missed you guys today. I had a problem in work and had to work until five :(

So I took it on myself to have a mini install fest of my own. I installed both Fedora Core 5 and Ubuntu 5.10. I am going to start a seperate thread to record by experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

13 people showed.
    Some good discussion about what kind of a group was being planned,
    who it should be aimed at, how it could interact with boards, and how often it should meet.

There'll probably be a synopsis of the meeting posted soon. ;-)

NiallB

Like Niall said 13 of us showed, not a bad start really. We had a demo of the xgl (3D) desktop on one of the lads laptops, really cool btw. Then we got talking about the direction of the LUG etc and what we want to achieve, before we knew it three hours had gone by. We agreed to meet up the 4th Saturday of every month so next meeting is 22nd april though venue hasn't been decided yet.

I put some stuff together on a website (bear in mind though its a work in progress). The minutes of the meeting etc is there: www.freewebs.com/dublinlug/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Any chance of another meetup soon? I'm off work till next week so I could do this Saturday but any other Sat I'd be in work :-(. I know Saturday is an ideal day for most people but any chance it could be changed to accomodate us Part Timers? :P

Would really like to meet some of you guys and get to know linux alot better myself. I'd consider myself a more advance linux novice, but a novice nonetheless. One thing I do need help with is compiling X or figuring out a way to batch install all of it's packages so that I can get the proper 3D driver for my laptop.

Hoping to have another one on the 22nd in UCD, waiting on confirmation from Larry whether or not we get the room. That date probaly doesn't suit, does it?

I've put in a room booking, requesting the same room we had last time, so hopefully...
    Also, we were pretty much agreed on going for the 4th saturday of each month for meetups, for the sake of consistency and regularity. Hopefully we'll be able to find somewhere other than UCD to go to soon enough.

got the room
    unfortunately it's not the same room

J109 Arts building (same building, but will definitely require more signposts this time....)
    Saturday 22nd, 2pm
    Maybe make a sticky for "Linux meetups" instead of "1st....."
    or possibly just rename the thread???
    I'll do up a better map, and give it to jaqian for the website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bfree

larryone wrote:
    J109 Arts building (same building, but will definitely require more signposts this time....)
    Saturday 22nd, 2pm
    I think it would probably be worthwhile to start a new thread for each meeting, perhaps with the sticky changed to a locked thread giving general information (like the website url). Fingers crossed I make it tomorrow and see you all there.

right - there 3 people who turned up, should we go for it this saturday, or wait till next month. hmm... maybe I'll start a poll......

I might not be able to make it next saturday
    maybe next month, but make a bigger noise about it

BIG NOISE

not big enough, may have to resort to ascii art.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Bah damn Saturdays.. I'm always in work on Saturday :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Im in if its this saturday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Grand, I was one of the poor 3, but i'll come again this Saturday as long as PEOPLE SHOW UP!

I can't make this Sat as I'm going for my suit fitting (getting married in Aug.)

Congratulations

• Advertisement

Cheers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 furlongm

So finally will there be a meeting this Saturday? I'd be interested in coming along if there is one.

Whats happening with Dublin LUG? Have ppl lost interest in it already? There is very little talk going on about it and the last meeting only three ppl showed (ok I admit I was absent too). I thought the first meeting was a great success but after getting that off the ground all the energy/excitement seems to have disappeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Right well I was one of the three, and I'll definitely be up for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DerMon

I was at the first meeting, but couldn't attend the second.
    jagian, why not call a meeting for the fourth saturday of this month (May 27th), see what the response is here, and if there's much/any interest, let's go ahead and have the meeting. If there's little or no interest or if five or less show at a meeting, then I think we can say DubLug is dead, R.I.P. :)

Thats 3 now i cant make i booked my 3 yeary holiday for the 27th.
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

I'll certainly try make the next one.

Again its all down to dates + location.

We need Larrone, Syth or somone else in UCD to book the room.

ahh ok fair enough.. awaiting news so :D

I was just in the local pub near me in Churchtown last night and I'm able to get the function room upstairs in it for free, its a nice size and would suit perfectly for a meet up if you guys want.

The pub is called the Glenside and is located on landscape road.

Let me know if you guys want and I can book it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement