Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Contact Us page

Options
  • 15-03-2006 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

heya guys. Im just nearly finished my site. Im just doing the contact us part of the site. All i want to do is have a comment box. Like to have Name: so you can put ur name in obviously and address and comments, stuff like that. Could you help me or give me a link to a site where i can get more info, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

I've attached a .zip for you. It has a sample form with various fields. I've also included a copy of formamail so the form can be read and passed to an e-mail address you pre-configure.

in form-code.txt configure the sections marked 'your domain name'

ie
    <form method="post" action="your domain
    name/cgi-bin/formmail/formmail.pl"/>
    <input type=hidden name="recipient" value="recieving e-mail address" />
    <input type=hidden name="subject" value="Sales Enquiary/General Enquiary" />
    <input type=hidden name="return_link_url" value="your domain name" />
    <input type=hidden name="return_link_title" value="Back to Main Page" />
    <input type=hidden name="sort" value="order:Name, Mail, Phone-Number, fax, mobile-Number, enquiary, method, Time" />
    <input type=hidden name="redirect" value="your domain name/thanks.html" />
    <input type=hidden name="required" value="Name,Email,enquiary,method,Time" />

and the same in the formmail.pl

**DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING ELSE!!**

As you can see by this bit (first line in the above) you will need to place the folder formail and the files it contains in your cgi bin. change the 'your domain name' to your own accordingly..

form details should then be sent to your e-mail address/s

You may also need to configure this bit in relation to the actual fields you wish to use. i.e. if you remove any field values from the form then remove the corresponding value from that line of code
    <input type=hidden name="sort" value="order:Name, Mail, Phone-Number, fax, mobile-Number, enquiary, method, Time" />

you should be able to figure the rest from there

nb: should be in webmaster/flash really - not a programming question as such ;)

see attached .zip file

:)

edit: oh yeah - obviously you'll need to copy the code from form-code.txt to an html file

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...assuming the OPs host supports perl scripts or any CGI scripts for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

Thanks for all the help guys. also to smeggle, cheers man. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Be very careful that the form isn't use to spam. See the thread about abused PHP scripts. The same injection opportunities applies to perl scripts.

The solution seems to be to strip out text after "\r" or "\n" in the parts that make up the email.

• Advertisement
Advertisement