Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best kebab in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Yeah ok I give you Zaytoons, nice Kebabs and convenient seats to flip off the police on horse backs as they stroll by, but i'm surprised nobody has mentioned "the Sultan" on georges street? Best Kebabs around, the guy who serves you looks like he hasn't showered/shaved in weeks and is vaguely reminiscent of the guy who served homer crab juice, the place also has a real dingy yellow colour scheme to boot. But the best kebabs around. Damn it I want one now... although I have to say i've never eaten there sober.

"mmm sweaty meat on a stick"

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Another good spot is Istanbul on Baggot Street, used to be an Abrakebabras but this place is a vast improvement. Try the mix schwarma, quite excellent. Brenadan O Connor did a very positive review in the Sunday Independent a good while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

L31mr0d wrote:
    the guy who serves you looks like he hasn't showered/shaved in weeks
    odd that, but true, the best chippers are usually filthy places with fat sweaty italians. I avoid clean ones, something strange about them, never had a decent portion in a clean chipper, they try and be a cross between a chipper & mcdonalds and end up crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Man, everybody knows that Zaytoon do the best kebab in town :rolleyes:

I wholeheartedly agree sir!Lovely kebabs indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

randomname wrote:
    That Ismaels place??

Is it called that? Used to be a stabrakebabra? They do real nice kebabs anyway, the salad bits are lovely and fresh and the meat isnt all fatty. Served on a real plate and all. dead posh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

Bambi wrote:
    Is it called that? Used to be a stabrakebabra? They do real nice kebabs anyway, the salad bits are lovely and fresh and the meat isnt all fatty. Served on a real plate and all. dead posh

Well kebabs are posh nosh.I was looking at that place it looked filthy so they probably do a good kebab.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I had one in Momo's on Liffey Street last week and was fairly impressed.

The staff are a bit on the surly side though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭NewOxfordReview

Momo's serve a massive portion. A bit more expensive than other places though. I found the staff quite friendly, maybe they were just having a bad day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I have been told the place beside Quinns off-license in Drumcondra has the best kebabs. Haven't had one though. Don't know the name of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

Iskanders have the best kebabs, nice skinny bread and filled to the brim with goodies!!!:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

kc66 wrote:
    I have been told the place beside Quinns off-license in Drumcondra has the best kebabs. Haven't had one though. Don't know the name of it.

isn't that where the independant pizza co used to be? Used to live out of there in college!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

isn't that where the independant pizza co used to be? Used to live out of there in college!
    It was a few years ago that I was told that so not even sure if the place is still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

in my 21 years on earth i've never had a kebab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i have. didn't really like it. not too fond of lamb. also, the kebab place in Leixlip used to be an abrakestabra too. they changed the name, but it's still a dive. you are guaranteed a fight if you go anywhere near it on a saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

iskanders and zaytoon, are nice as they are fresh . most of kebab places in dublin use (crap meat)which i would never go near.

julep wrote:
    i have. didn't really like it. not too fond of lamb.
    You do know you can also get chicken and Beef shawarmas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Had 21 every year I've been on earth probably!

Oh yeah - Zaytoon no 1, though I'm gonna try that Alanyas pretty soon I reckon!
    Some Like it Hot - Drumcondra Rd...bit more like yer normal burger/chipper/kebaber but well above the average.

inspired by this thread I just went and made myself some kebabs.

A word to the wise:

never... ever eat kebabs made by monkeyfudge

My stomach feels all wrong...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Morrigan wrote:
    What about that tiny one on baggot street? Smallest kebab shop in Dublin? Yes. Best kebab in Dublin? I don't know, but I've heard good things about it.

Used to very popular until the owner was convicted of slapping his girlfriend about the place and his picture was all over the newpapers. Incidently the girlfriend also worked there. Great kebabs!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

rubadub wrote:
    odd that, but true, the best chippers are usually filthy places with fat sweaty italians. I avoid clean ones, something strange about them, never had a decent portion in a clean chipper, they try and be a cross between a chipper & mcdonalds and end up crap.

What happened to Cafollas on Baggott Street? That was a great dirty chipper!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I was an Iskanders afficionado a couple of years back, and still rate the place as among the best in Dublin, but a good friend introduced me to Zaytoon, and it became my Kebab House of choice. Now, I was home for three weeks in January and early February of this year and decided I'd been missing out for too long, and decided to make a trip to Dame St. for an Iskanders. This so called friend of mine told me that this Athenas place was, in fact, the better option. I now count this person among my ex-friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

And sometimes you get all three at the same time. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

seansouth wrote:
    I was an Iskanders afficionado a couple of years back, and still rate the place as among the best in Dublin, but a good friend introduced me to Zaytoon, and it became my Kebab House of choice. Now, I was home for three weeks in January and early February of this year and decided I'd been missing out for too long, and decided to make a trip to Dame St. for an Iskanders. This so called friend of mine told me that this Athenas place was, in fact, the better option. I now count this person among my ex-friends.

The above person knows what they're talking about!
    Would you listen to this fella, "bread was too thick"! Ya wimp ya. Proper bread. Worlds best schawarma as it used to say. They even left out the apostrophe too.

On the other hand, this person does not.

UP FALAFEL! DEATH TO CHICKEN!

Woops, double post. I can't believe I did one of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Alanya's is now re-opened under the name Siroco.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

Used to very popular until the owner was convicted of slapping his girlfriend about the place and his picture was all over the newpapers. Incidently the girlfriend also worked there. Great kebabs!!

What happened there? Used to go there on baggot Street for lunch, but the last few time it hasn't been good, loads of fat on the meat and the sauce is like watered down ketchup. Another reason to put you off is that that pr*ck Brendan O'Connor recommends it.

The Sultan on Georges Street gets me vote for best kebab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i'm aware of that, but i was referring to kebabs in the strictest sense of the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

There is no such thing as a 'best' kebab - they are all fecking manky

Lads....

What have a vagina and a kebab got in common......

Their both smelly, the meat hangs out and you only fancy eating one when your hammered!!:D

julep wrote:
    i'm aware of that, but i was referring to kebabs in the strictest sense of the word.
    Well kebab is really just the persian word for 'grilled meat'.

Doner Kebab is rotating grilled meat.

• Advertisement

There is no such thing as a 'best' kebab - they are all fecking manky

Lads....

What have a vagina and a kebab got in common......

Their both smelly, the meat hangs out and you only fancy eating one when your hammered!!

That post was far more manky than any kebab I've ever had.

Advertisement