Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best kebab in Dublin

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

shroomfox wrote:
    That post was far more manky than any kebab I've ever had.
    :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Well kebab is really just the persian word for 'grilled meat'.

Doner Kebab is rotating grilled meat.
    ahh, you know what i mean.
    generally a kebab is made from lamb. i don't like the taste of lamb, so kebabs are not for me.
    i do like the **** they do with chicken though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

My experienced opinion...

1) Some Like It Hot
    Beside Quinns in Drumcondra.
    Relaiably the best, so tasty, even sober!

2) Momos
    Liffey St.
    Huge kebabs, they even throw a few chips in.
    If yer really hungry go here!

Wasn't impressed with Iskanders or Athena, too busy for them to care about quality!
    Zatoon's great aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

Another vote for Some Like It Hot, if i was getting one in town then Zaytoon but we usually stop off in Some Like it Hot on the way home from town and get our kebabs there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

sultans on dame street sell a superior kabab, the meat is excellent and the sauce has just the right amount of burn. the saliva is flowing freely from my mouth onto the keyboard even thinking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Alanya's is now called 'Zirocco'!

It's open again and they've a new chef. I agree with NewOxfordReview that Zaytoon isn't as good as Alanya's was.

Zirocco is much better than Alanya's was by a good bit - I'd say about 25% better! It's slightly cheaper and the new sauces are much spicier and have better flavouring. You also get much more variety in the vegetables they put in. (I was in last night for my sins...)

I think they've a new chef - he's class and really friendly! Zirocco all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Cant believe theres a debate about the best kebab in Dublin; ii would have thought a debate about the worst would be closer to the mark. Nowhere in Ireland can you get a decent kebab at a decent price; in Germany you get one freshly made for €2.50 - compare that to Zaytoon for €7 or 8.

Abrakebarfa has ruined the market; no sober Irish person now ever expects anything better, and as a result, it wont be provided - especially not at a reasonable price :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

iskanders are the best. i would love a mix shish plate right now, my mouths gone watery:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭fischerspooner

momos is excellent alright, but again, pricey. But everything in Dublin is pricey. In Berlin you can buy kebabs for 2 euro all over the place, in these little street shops, and they sell you beer too for about a euro for a 500ml bottle, they're usually open till all hours and also sell vodka and stuff.
    So if you're really into your kebabs and beer go to Berlin.

momos is excellent alright, but again, pricey.... So if you're really into your kebabs and beer go to Berlin.

So what do reckon then, aside from price, is momos or any other kebap outlets in Dublin on par with those in Berlin ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Zaytoon....copious amounts of beer fuirst though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭fischerspooner

ODS wrote:
    So what do reckon then, aside from price, is momos or any other kebap outlets in Dublin on par with those in Berlin ?

well, they're different in Germany. They kind of fatty them up with savoury garlicy sauces here because that's what irish people like. In Germany the kebabs have more salad and not as much meat, and you can usually eat them without destroying all your clothes, and they just use a little salad dressing, they don't douse them in fatty mayonaissey sauces like they do here - but that is just catering for the irish market, I mean we are the nation of the batter burger etc. So yes I think I prefer the ones in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

The Istanbul on Baggot street is my local and it's really good! Hmm.. I think I'll go there for lunch right now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Feenikusu

I had some kebabs in Ireland and they all sucked. Nothing against our Döner...
    One of them was more like a wrap and consisted mostly of oil and meat, and an other was more like a pizza and had very much garlic in it.
    You can get the best doner kebab in Berlin, of course, because they were more or less invented there. But last year I ate a really great kebab near Hamburg, I think the best I've ever had.
    And even in Rheinbach you can buy pretty good kebabs, you just have to know where.

Feenikusu wrote:
    I had some kebabs in Ireland and they all sucked. Nothing against our Döner...
    your doner? you mean the turks doners? you claim them when it suits you.
    yes the kababs in ireland suck and are over priced but that goes without saying in this country. + its not like its irish people making or selling them...
    and yes the best kabab i've ever had was in Hamburg, there is no comparing them with irelands kababs, they are huge, all fresh beautiful ingredients and cost about 2.50

ferdi wrote:
    its not like its irish people making or selling them...

Aha - But that is the problem - Abrakebarfa was set up by an Irish couple in the 80s, and ever since everybody else has just copied them - hence the low standards :mad:

Abrakebarfa = An Irish problem for an Irish problem; ie too much drink taken, will settle for anything at that hour of night etc :rolleyes:

To be fair, the same couple went on to set up Eddie Rockets which is ok....Mmmm Eddie Rocket Onion Rings...mmmmm...

Hungry now:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Since this is a discussion about food, it should be on the food board....You'ldthink that would be common sense really.

Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

The only kebab I'll eat while sober is from Beiruit Express on the Edgware Rd. yum yum.

M

ODS wrote:
    Aha - But that is the problem - Abrakebarfa was set up by an Irish couple in the 80s, and ever since everybody else has just copied them - hence the low standards :mad:

Abrakebarfa = An Irish problem for an Irish problem; ie too much drink taken, will settle for anything at that hour of night etc :rolleyes:

To be fair, the same couple went on to set up Eddie Rockets which is ok....Mmmm Eddie Rocket Onion Rings...mmmmm...

Hungry now:(
    you deserve whatever you get if you go into abrakababra. ****ing hideous filth served in that place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Cantab. wrote:
    Alanya's is now called 'Zirocco'!

It's open again and they've a new chef. I agree with NewOxfordReview that Zaytoon isn't as good as Alanya's was.

Zirocco is much better than Alanya's was by a good bit - I'd say about 25% better! It's slightly cheaper and the new sauces are much spicier and have better flavouring. You also get much more variety in the vegetables they put in. (I was in last night for my sins...)

I think they've a new chef - he's class and really friendly! Zirocco all the way!
    I tried it out yesterday. Yes... the lads are very friendly but I really wasn't impressed with the kebab. The chicken was overcooked and too crispy on the sides, and yet it was only warm... it was too cold to eat by the time I was only half way through. Lots of nasty grissly bits in the chicken too.

Oh.. and the prices are higher than what is listed on the menu. Which is pretty bad form.

I won't be going back anytime soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement