Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic device free areas in the library

Options
  • 15-03-2006 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know what's up with the new Electronic device free areas in the library? Does it mean I can't use my laptop there anymore? That would be stupid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

sounds strange, where are they. I'm sure there are people who are pissed off with the proliferation of laptops though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Ddin't see those signs, where are they?

Yea I imagine it's a laptop free zone. Makes sense. Someone tapping away at a keyboard would be very annoying if ur studying.

Wonder if the ban extends to people with their ipods turned up too loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

They are at the end, where the 900 books are.
    I find it a little bit unfair, as it robs me off my quiet place. And my laptop is much more quiet than the people aroud me, turining heir pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

which floor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

mdebets wrote:
    They are at the end, where the 900 books are.
    I find it a little bit unfair, as it robs me off my quiet place. And my laptop is much more quiet than the people aroud me, turining heir pages.
    Good point, surely the 'tap' of keys is as problematic as the 'slice' of turning pages...! The keys are almost constant, whereas the pages are every minute or so; but the keys are quieter than the pages ;)

How about a 'book free' area!!! :D That's where you'd find me most of the time :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

irlrobins wrote:
    which floor?

On level 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

They have them on level 4 as well - I saw the signs, so made sure to sit in an area with none of them around. Didn't stop the irritating library guy from moving me on though :rolleyes: (That guys had it in for me ever since he caught me in here studying for my leaving cert!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Thats the most stupid idea I have ever heard. I asked to use one of the reading rooms to use my laptop and they said no . **** it if i dont have internet access I can still do my Essay there.

I always have my laptop in with me but I can appreciate laptop free zones, it's not just the noise. There's much more chance of someone on a laptop being in the library for reasons other than study which means they're more likely to be a distraction to those who are, bebo, music, showing friends bebo, munching away at food while surfing bebo, being orange while on bebo etc,etc.

What about people turning the pages on their big dirty broadsheet newspapers?

• Advertisement

It's a library, you're gonna have to accept that there'll be people turning pages. Even if they are irritatingly large pages and the reason is recreational, and in their defence they're not on bebo!

What does Bebo in the Library on their computer do to you exactly?

It pisses me off:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Its a library for gods sake, personally the tapping of keys is the most annoying aspect of any modern library. From what I can see its half people doing essays half googling what they can plagerise :D

Its more people complaining for ****ing nothing thats what it is.

Grimes wrote:
    Its more people complaining for ****ing nothing thats what it is.

Silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Scop...is that short for Libro cop??

1) its the people without laptops complaining in this thread
    2) it was the people without cars in the other thread.

Stop Complaining and get on with your own lives!!!!

PS: **** Bebo. It dosnt affect you!!! Stop going on about it

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

If you read back, it was those with cars complaining about the lack of spaces in the other thread...

"Its a f**cking disgrace IMO"

"One more thing, if i leave my car at home (miles away tbh) it adds another 2 hours to my journey and im still stuck in traffic."

"It cant cost that much to lay down some tarmac"

Sound familiar?

"Stop Complaining and get on with your own lives!!!!"

Good advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Look, fact is, some people need it to be super quiet when they study.
    Why shouldn't the library accommodate them?

It's not as if there aren't still plenty of areas where you can power up the aul' lappy.

• Advertisement

I don't like bebo, though I'll admit I've signed up to it, but my objection to it in the library is very simple, the library is a place where people can go and get peace to study and should be exclusively for study. My experience of bebo in the library is a group of girls crowded around a computer very vocally comment on their bebo experiences and bebo friends. Anyway on topic the library is big enough to accomodate areas with laptops and areas without them, thb its people using the laptop areas who don't have laptops that affects me more!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

The key tapping ia annoying but so is the start-up music - so loud.

It drives me insane when people plug in their laptops crossing an aisle with no consideration for anybody else!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

YOU drive me insane, Scraggs! :mad:

PM sent

Scraggs wrote:
    Scop...is that short for Libro cop??

L:p

Look, fact is, some people need it to be super quiet when they study.
    Why shouldn't the library accommodate them?

It's not as if there aren't still plenty of areas where you can power up the aul' lappy.

Exacto.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Quiet zone in the law section thankfully. Means no more fecking wires across aisles or tapping away or that fecking windows login noise or people sitting at laptops laughing etc..
    Plenty of desks with plugs on them. Go sit there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

I'm going to make sure I sit near you 2moro Sangre AND I'm going to use my laptop, even though I dont really need too AND I'm going to type in that annoying loud way!
    No but seriously, I completely understand how some people appreciate complete silence. I was in the Law section on Tuesday and some girl and her band of merrymen were sitting in front of me (I think they were first years). No prob with that but for the fact that they didnt stop talking the whole time they were there!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

I dunno, that Law section can be quite loud.....i can hear the cogs turning and clicking in the law students' heads! :D

To be fair, if someone is making noise with a laptop you can just ask them to keep it down? Then everyone is happy!

Advertisement