Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic device free areas in the library

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Who are you? Just come here to piss me off? 38 posts :rolleyes:

Im not getting into this again but you took what I said out of context.

Im just tired of all this complaining all the time . Be it car parking, BEBO (for some god knows reason) and now the library. Whats it gonna be next week? The weather in UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Uh-oh, looks like Grimes got sent into overload!

The complaints about all those things you've listed but disagree with are just as valid as the complaints about Hilpers and the End the Rip-Off Campaign that you had no problem with, because you agreed with them. Relax Grimes, if you don't like people complaining, look for company outside of the human race!

I agree whole-heartedly with the quiet areas thing. The library drives me mental to study in because it's so artificially quiet that all the little ordinary noises get magnified. Most books can be taken out of the library, and there are computer labs/laptop areas outside of the library - but where are the open access reading rooms? Technology hasn't been banned from the library, just boxed into sections where everyone can concentrate on working while not being completely silent (or get on with being inconsiderate and obnoxious, as is sometimes the case) while using their laptops.

Oh, and Grimes, I have a laptop. So that's not an excuse for agreeing or disagreeing with the change. It's just common decency and respect for varied study methods - and about time too. I hate the thought that every time I'm typing in the library someone else is trying to work and can't because of my clacking. Hell, the clacking even gets to me at times, and I'm responsible for it.

When you have a laptop, there's always a couch or two in the Arts Block if you find the Library infringes on your freedom to make unwarranted noise, if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You'd all hate me then. I study with my laptop, and I need music to work best. I always have my headphones plugged into my laptop (double benefit of hiding the Mac OS X startup chime). Good thing I have a pathological hatred of the library and study at home about 99% of the time. :)
    (Yay for CS and requiring almost no reading at the moment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Good thing I have a pathological hatred of the library and study at home about 99% of the time. :)
    (Yay for CS and requiring almost no reading at the moment)

*high five* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Too lazy and tired to post own opinion...

Ok, fine I don't have my own opinion, I just leech off other ppl's, ok?! But anyway, Blush was spot on with everything in that post, and what other rational, considerate ppl have said...

@Grimes and DaveMcG: You need a holiday, guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Pfft, you know Grimes will post a "Can't wait to be back thread" in a few days, Seb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Holiday schmoliday, nothing beats being up at 5.45 to go to work! *high five*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

The thing that irritates me most on the science floor is the constant churn of the escalators in the background. Is there any chance of having doors into this floor, just like on the other levels, in order to dampen the sound?

And the usage of bebo on the library computers is just atrocious: there are so few computers and always queues, yet the percentage of bebo users seems to be higher than everywhere else, and they even hae the audacity to use the catalogue mchines as well to satiate their desire for inane entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Samos wrote:
    The thing that irritates me most on the science floor is the constant churn of the escalators in the background. Is there any chance of having doors into this floor, just like on the other levels, in order to dampen the sound?

And the usage of bebo on the library computers is just atrocious: there are so few computers and always queues, yet the percentage of bebo users seems to be higher than everywhere else, and they even hae the audacity to use the catalogue mchines as well to satiate their desire for inane entertainment.

Yeah-agree and do u know what I really really hate-when people use google chat constantly-i mean whats that all about:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

panda100 wrote:
    Yeah-agree and do u know what I really really hate-when people use google chat constantly-i mean whats that all about:D

Totally! I mean there's no polite way to say **** *** and do some work!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I like google chat! it's not like I'd sit and dedicate time to it but when I'm on my laptop it allows me to keep in touch with friends. That said anyone who would occupy a library computer to use it should be hurt:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

It's not just laptops, ipods and the like are also gone, had a friend told to turn his off when he was sitting in the electronic free zone. Although I wonder does this ban also cover electronic calculators?????

It's not just laptops, ipods and the like are also gone, had a friend told to turn his off when he was sitting in the electronic free zone. Although I wonder does this ban also cover electronic calculators?????
    And watches and pace makers, the bane of every studying students life!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Personally I think its a great idea, particularly as the 900 area is the history section :)

Threre are loads of places for people to plug in their laptops, its not like this will impinge on their net use.
    Also there is nothing worse than sitting near someone with their ipod up too loud.

Oh and Grimes....I suggest you relax or you may get a weeks holiday from here.

Personally I think its a great idea, particularly as the 900 area is the history section :).
    Yaaay!

/realises that I can only study when listening to music

Oh Noooooooooooes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

What bothers me is that there really isn't enough laptop enabled areas with sufficient plug sockets around - I use my laptop for work in college, i dont' really mess around on it but i'm b eing limitied to some of the bosiest areas in the library.

Although i'm extremely glad of the no ipod rule, some people are so inconsiderate, had one girl last week sitting the the commerce section and i was five rows away from where she was sitting and could still hear the killers, mr. brightside perfectly. Charming.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

i was in the "electronic devices free zone" yesterday. not realising thats where i was. i'm a history student so i kinda like being near the history books and not having to trek if i need to find something. i also like using my laptop.

one thing i did find amusing was all the people with ipods looking at me like i was something they'd wipe off their shoe because i was using a laptop.

**** it, there's no signs there so i dont see why not. plus its more annoying if someone is constantly getting up and walking off, sitting back down, getting up walking off, than mild typing. as i type right now i notice that my keyboard makes very little noise so **** anyone who has a problem.

****ing ludites

What bothers me is that there really isn't enough laptop enabled areas with sufficient plug sockets around - I use my laptop for work in college, i dont' really mess around on it but i'm b eing limitied to some of the bosiest areas in the library.

Go up the escalators to the 2nd floor, go in the doors to the left. There are a lot of plugs there. Alternatively walk in the door to the right. Go straight ahead....more laptop areas. Or, go past the photocopiers and turn left, loads of plugs down there too. Thats just the 2nd floor.

There are specific areas for laptops, so why cant there be specific areas for no laptops?

****ing ludites
    Ah now now, there's no neeh for dah! The luddites fought against mechanisation in the (correct) belief that the new technology would be used as a tool by the Ruling/Employing class to f**k over the workers even more than before... The students who looked at you like you were a leper with epilepsy are fighting against you because they have the concentration of a Goldfish and just can't handle the distraction of a nice shiny PB laptop...

F**king philistines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

whats everyone think about the new layout in the law section? pure genius if u ask me and about time!

• Advertisement

Have to say I really like the presence of pillows and game consoles in my current study area...
    *ahem*I was too lazy to get up and come into UCD this morning...
    and holy crap, it's just started snowing here!

Have to say I really like the presence of pillows and game consoles in my current study area...
    *ahem*I was too lazy to get up and come into UCD this morning...
    and holy crap, it's just started snowing here!
    Here too!

I was also too lethargic to drag myself to the bus stop, so I'm "studying" at home (translation = posting on boards and rearranging mp3 playlists... fun).

Snow was flurryin' around like a MoFo earlier... Seems to have died down now... Maw.:(

Well I'm precisely 15 minutes out of bed, and 12 minutes of that was posting here... and it's too late for me to go out to college now because I'm in work this evening... *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

yes the snow is nice, however i do plan to weather it in order to go to the fabled UCD. if they're gonna ban laptops in a certain area they should ban all electronic devices.

those same "lepers" that stared at me all had ipods. perhaps ludites was wrong, hypocrits more apt.

It's been snowing all day, had a lovely walk in:)

Decided that after the masses of little 5th year gits yesterday I would be better shaking off my hangover at home. Couldn't face that again.

They took over the Dept. of Lung Cancer!
    You weren't there man!!!
    You don't understand!!

[/vietnam veteran]

Sometimes late at night I still hear the screaming...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Well, why not complain about ipods and music, there happens to be a little book for your suggestions etc.

Personally I never noticed the noise of typing, I do when 2 ppl in particular I kow type, but now that Im aware that its a general problem I can hear it and I suppose it is annoing.

What I hate is the "study" areas in Quinn. Totally useless, the noise level is like that in a football stadium. People dont even use earphones when listening to music / watching videos.

I go to the library to type essays - I need internet access. Most of my sources will be journals or articles not text books; same for all commerce students. There are not enough laptop spaces at peak times. This is because people are A)Using laptop spaces but dont have laptops and B)Using the internet for recreational purposes. There is wireless all over campus and wired internet access points in quinn, engineering and I presume most other buildings. People using Bebo on their own computers still affect other people if they are using up library resources.

Im an avid library and laptop user but I think Ill live with the new zones, its perfectly fair. I was also delighted to see libro cop moving people out of laptop points if they didnt have laptops, I posted that in the things I hate about UCD thread. Now Id like to see him moving people out of spaces if they are using bebo and the like as well. You can access bebo anywhere, I can only find silence and certain books in the library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

some bitch in the library had her laptop plugged into the wall with the power cable as knee height blocking everyones way. i was in a rush, didnt see the wire, walked through it and the laptop went flying off the table. i picked it up and saw she was on bebo. she started going mental, talking about me paying for damages. i laughed and told her to **** off.

• Advertisement

ferdi wrote:
    some bitch in the library had her laptop plugged into the wall with the power cable as knee height blocking everyones way. i was in a rush, didnt see the wire, walked through it and the laptop went flying off the table. i picked it up and saw she was on bebo. she started going mental, talking about me paying for damages. i laughed and told her to **** off.

beautiful:p

They were going around telling people they couldn't do that, you can't plug your laptop in if the wire is crossing a path, health and safety stuff.

Advertisement