Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic device free areas in the library

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

sounds like an awful tit to me... was she orange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

sounds like an awful tit to me... was she orange?
    as orange as them come

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

My sis was at the open day yesterday and the frist thing she said to me was 'Ya never told me everyone was orange' ...she was not at all impressed with the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

wouldnt blame her
    tell her not everyone is orange, i can go from pastey fainting white to heart-attack red, but never orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I got a bit of a surprise with the whole open day thing! I was in 911 getting my morning coffee and doughnut and I hear some girl ordering some half fat double something mocha latte somethingorother in a ridiculous D4 accent and I think, ah there is another actual UCD student in here, to my shock when I looked up it was some orange 16 year old in a school uniform. They don't become like that when they get here they're already like that!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Sure it's practically a prerequisite for getting in here in the first place...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

spare a thought for those of us working on the open day...
    I got the o'reilly hall gig with the guidance counsellors so didn't have to mix with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

humbert wrote:
    I always have my laptop in with me but I can appreciate laptop free zones, it's not just the noise. There's much more chance of someone on a laptop being in the library for reasons other than study which means they're more likely to be a distraction to those who are, bebo, music, showing friends bebo, munching away at food while surfing bebo, being orange while on bebo etc,etc.
    Funniest rant post of the year so far!

I don't have a laptop or an ipod so therefore I don't think anyone who does have one should be allowed use theirs anywhere near me.

In essence it's a safety issue not to have them in certain places.
    If you have something I don't & you're near me & annoying me, then I'm just gonna take it or take it & shove it in places!

The end!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Have I told you lately that I love you more than chocolate?

That's a lot.

A BIG lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Ok, as a laptop user, I have to say I too agree with the laptop free areas. Aside from the fact that my laptop broke on Wednesday and took with it 1,700 words of a 2,000 word essay, I think laptops are a huge asset to study but I can see how they can be head wrecking for other people too...and as regards laptop areas themselves....y'know what really grinds my gears? People abandoning their laptop or ever just a coat and a book or something to 'hold' a laptop space in the laptop area on the 2nd floor for hours upon end when I would appreciate a space to do some REAL STUDY!!! Aaaaaaagggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'm open to correction, but when I was in first year there was a rule that if you were waiting on a study space (or in this case a laptop space) and a space was visibly abandoned for more than 15 minutes, then you could move their stuff and use it, as with the computers. We were told this in the Psych library tour by the librarians.

I'd ask at the helpdesk on level 2 and then proceed with caution.

If it's just a jacket, and you've been watching it eat space for 15 minutes, I'd stake my claim. Cloth doesn't need to pass exams, you do. If someone's obviously working on something and is in the bathroom/looking for books, that's different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Dr. Octagon

Live and let live....

Get earplugs if you require complete silence.

I do think that a no-typing zone is more appropriate. It's annoying getting moved when you are just scrolling through downloaded notes and exam papers, i.e. making minimum noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Blush_01 wrote:
    I'm open to correction, but when I was in first year there was a rule that if you were waiting on a study space (or in this case a laptop space) and a space was visibly abandoned for more than 15 minutes, then you could move their stuff and use it, as with the computers. We were told this in the Psych library tour by the librarians.

I'd ask at the helpdesk on level 2 and then proceed with caution.

If it's just a jacket, and you've been watching it eat space for 15 minutes, I'd stake my claim. Cloth doesn't need to pass exams, you do. If someone's obviously working on something and is in the bathroom/looking for books, that's different.

I think that rule probably does apply but I'm a bit non-confrontational, I just basically wouldn't move anybody's stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

what if it was near exam time, Im in the library doind my own version of study - stressful craming. I pop outside for a quick drink because I dont want my hip flask taken from me, I come back and my stuff is gone and you're sitting there.
    Dont you see how things could get very bad very quick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

what if it was near exam time, Im in the library doind my own version of study - stressful craming. I pop outside for a quick drink because I dont want my hip flask taken from me, I come back and my stuff is gone and you're sitting there.
    Dont you see how things could get very bad very quick?

Replace drink with cigarette and I can see myself having the same problem.
    Serious ass-whoppings on the way for anyone who steals my seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

well if your only gone for a fag/drink then I doubt someone would move your stuff.

Sometimes in the past I've taken a seat that looks like someone's "booked" it by placing some random books on it. But if looks like someone is genuinely using the desk I'd leave it alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

This does happen at exam time but it is the library staff that move the stuff from the desk to free up space. No confrontation needed.

If you have left your stuff on your desk and aren't there when the library staff come by, they leave a note on the desk with the time on it and it basically tells you that if they come back in another 15 minutes and you're still not there and the note is in the same place, they will move your stuff.

Tbh, when its coming up to exams and space in the library is so limited, I think its a fair enough rule. Imagine yourself wandering around the library trying to find space to cram for your finals and all you can see are desks that are obviously taken but theres nobody at them cos they've buggered off outside for a chat or gone for lunch. I'm sure some people will argue that they were looking for books or whatever, but if you know the rule is in place, try and get back to your desk within 15 minutes, and maybe go looking again after that.

If I'm searching for library space and I keep passing a desk with nobody there but their stuff on it, I will go to the library staff and get it moved. Its not fair at all to hog space like that at this time of year.

ok that was actually a joke about whiskey making ppl angry, i wouldnt box someone in a library ;)

Ive seen libro-cop clear desks and think its a good rule, i know a girl who left her coat and random books in the library all day comming up to xmas exams to reserve a seat she rarely used.

Cant see them moving a laptop though

Cant see them moving a laptop though

I don't know. The rule still stands so I don't see why laptops would be exempt.

Besides, I doubt there would be many that would leave a laptop unattended in the library for too long.

Ive gone to lunch and left it there. At the time the fire wall on the second floor wasnt working and I was bit-torrenting away.
    You'd be surprised what people do.

The thing is, any damage to/theft of the laptop and libro-cop is liable and these things are expensive. And where is he going to put it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

It's a good rule and i agree, you're only problem is that if you're trying to locate a book or in need of a bit of photocopying of a SLC book you could be gone for more than 15 minutes. Generally last year the library staff gave you about half an hour which was more than fair really.

Ive gone to lunch and left it there. At the time the fire wall on the second floor wasnt working and I was bit-torrenting away.
    You'd be surprised what people do.

The thing is, any damage to/theft of the laptop and libro-cop is liable and these things are expensive. And where is he going to put it?

First of all, the rule is in place and nobody should assume it wouldn't include laptops. If you leave your things unattended in the library you are liable for any damages or for theft.

Should librocop or any of the staff move your things (which shouldn't be left there in the first place) then I'm sure there would be maximum care taken.

As for where they would put it.....I would assume it would go where they put the notes and whatever that they remove from unattended desks.

Advertisement