Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"The grass is always greener..."

• 15-03-2006 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Is it?

hehe, open-ended question :p

hey folks,

I'm only 18 at the moment, but I plan on moving abroad when I finish my degree. I find Ireland really depressing for some reason, maybe bad experiences, maybe it's just the weather (it's always gloomy... why can't it just be sunny!), dunno, but I don't enjoy living here.

My parents are kinda dismissing this as a 'grass is always greener' thing, and maybe it is, maybe living abroad would be a let down!

There's a good number of people on boards who have actually done what I want to do, left Ireland for whatever reason, and lived there, maybe returning, and I want to know your experiences of this!

I'd like to know:

i. why did you leave Ireland?
    ii. where do you move to, and for how long?
    iii. how was your experience?
    iv. did you return to Ireland, and why?

Did you get homesick? Do you hate that your kids don't get to 'go to nana's' on the weekend (something I'd like my kids to be able to do)? Did you enjoy the new culture? Was it more laid-back? Do you think that your life would have been better or worse if you had stayed in Ireland?

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks folks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

One thing I will say is no matter what country you go to they will be saying the same old phrases you hear here.

"HAH, only in Ireland, huh!?"
    "typical Irish, always <insert negative comment, moaning etc>"
    "typical Irish weather"
    "you wouldnt see that in <insert any other country>"
    "jaysus, sure in <insert third world country> ye could buy a mansion for that"
    "fecking traffic is a disgrace in this country"
    "The irish are brutal at <complaining, driving etc etc>"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

the grass is never greener on the other side. it's just a different shade. (my phrase. all credit for it belongs to me).

Ireland isn't for some people. if you don't like it here, then try somewhere else.
    travel around a bit and then come back and complare you experiences. you might like it elsewhere, or you might just miss this place enough to come back and stay. you're young enough to travel. do it now before you get tied down here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Weird... David McWilliams' column in the Indo today is about just that... kinda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Can't you see the grass is greener where it rains?

Had to be done!

Seriously though, I'd give living abroad a shot. It could be one of those things you'll look back on and regret in a few years. At least if you try it and don't like it you can say that you gave it a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭R-KEANE

I think you're too young to decide. When you leave college you will get to work in ireland, meet loads of new people, see more of the towns and villages around you. Not suggesting that you will like it but I thin k you're too young to dismiss it so soon. I will say this though if you do eventually leave, you will get homesick and you will appreciate ireland. You'll also be proud to be irish whenever you see anyhting irish on the telly or hear someone talk about Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Here ya go:
    i. why did you leave Ireland? transferred by my company, wasnt looking to move
    ii. where do you move to, and for how long? USA, 1992, still here
    iii. how was your experience? great
    iv. did you return to Ireland, and why? no and wont. I love living here. More opportunities career wise. More things to do. More interesting people. Plus whenever I go back to Ireland, after two days I cant wait to leave again(these are MY opinions)

Did you get homesick? only the first year
    Do you hate that your kids don't get to 'go to nana's' on the weekend (something I'd like my kids to be able to do)? actually yes, I wish they could have more of a relationship with them. But cant.
    Did you enjoy the new culture? yes
    Was it more laid-back? yes
    Do you think that your life would have been better or worse if you had stayed in Ireland? not as good as it is now. I have a great life.

My advice is to wait. Go to college, enjoy it. I didnt move here until I was 23. 18 is way too young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

yes the grass may well be greener on the other side .but dont forget... you still have to cut it ...or get swamped and overgrown:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Can't you see the grass is greener where it rains?

love that song :p

It's human nature to want things that you can't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I left Ireland in April last year to move to America as my wifes family is from there, she missed her friends and so i didnt mind moving to make her happy. I also thought there might be some new opportunities for me and so on.

I live in a nice area in central illinois, town is about 150,000 (mostly students), a big change from the little town I lived in Ireland. Its very diverse, lots of different races of people, something im not used to.
    I have thought of going back to Ireland many times. America isnt as great as I used to think and im sick and tired of a lot of what goes on here.
    I do get a lot of this

American: So you're Irish, oh oh whats it like in Ireland then?
    Me: Expensive to live, weather is fairly mild all year around
    American: Oh still it must be pretty cool, huh?
    Me:.....

American: So you're Irish, my <insert relative> was from Ireland, so that'd make me x% Irish.:rolleyes:

I even got someone who said they supported the Boston Celtics so that makes them Irish, but i put up with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

smodgley wrote:
    yes the grass may well be greener on the other side .but dont forget... you still have to cut it ...or get swamped and overgrown:D

Moving away from the grass analogy... :p

I know I'm too young to decide now, I wasn't planning on buying my ticket just yet ;) I've still got 3 years or so in college, and then I'll work a bit to build up funds, so we'll see after that, I was just gathering information/researching :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

or... move while your young. I lived in Canada for a year when I was 18, best thing I ever did, cleared my head after secondary school, ironed out what i actually wanted to get out of life on my own, whether college was my thing or not.

A break will get your priorities right for the future, maybe you will come back to Ireland because of something you hadn't realised you'd miss, but then again maybe you won't. you won't know until you've done it. Nobody can tell you how you'll feel abroad, its different for everybody. I've seen friends move and stay and others move and come running back. I see moving as ending in one of two good ways, either you'll hate it and appreciate a whole lot more what you have at home and be more positive, or you'll love it and be glad you made the move. Either way its a win win situation, but only if you do it before work or life ties you to somewhere you don't want to be.

The grass is only greener if its right for you.

In case your wondering, I came back to get an education which will help me to move to canada for good in a year or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

Followed my now wife over. Generally not too happy in Ireland.

USA, 8 years now.

Love it here. People are very friendly. Cost of living isn't all that much better where I am but overall better opportunities career wise.

Did a trial run 2 years back for 6 months. Didn't work out and returned to the states.

Did you get homesick?
    Yes. Still do now and then. I didn't get to travel to Ireland last year but I had family come to me.

Do you hate that your kids don't get to 'go to nana's' on the weekend (something I'd like my kids to be able to do)?
    It's definitely a downside to living so far away. I have a son and my daughter is due to be born tomorrow! My mother is over here with us right now. One of the upsides to my life here is that I can afford to fly her over a couple of times a year and also take a trip to Ireland if we want to. When we did the 6 month stay in Ireland we lived 100 miles or so from my parents so visiting wasn't that easy anyway.

Did you enjoy the new culture?
    Yes. I enjoy the diversity. I enjoy having a Guinness in a Mexican restaurant. I enjoy being able to send my kids to a non Catholic public school. I enjoy the drive to succeed and not just bitch about other people's success.

Was it more laid-back?
    Once you get to know people then yes.

Do you think that your life would have been better or worse if you had stayed in Ireland?
    No idea. I probably would have done well for myself in Ireland but the thoughts of living in an estate in the suburbs of Dublin doesn't do much for me. On the other side though living in Ireland would have given me access to Europe for travelling which I would like to do. I think it all depends on your experience of where you have lived. If I was making minimum wage and had no health insurance then I would be better of in Ireland because life here is tough when you don't make much money. At least in Ireland there are more safety nets for people.

Kernel32 wrote:
    my daughter is due to be born tomorrow!

Congratulations! :D Any ideas for a name?

BTW, the questions I posted (that weren't in point form) were just examples, you can ramble on all you want, it's not an interview :p (that was directed @ everyone, cos a few people are doing the same)

Thanks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

i. why did you leave Ireland? To go to University
    ii. where do you move to, and for how long? I've moved to Edinburgh, I've been here since September. I'll be here at least until May 2009, and I may do another degree here afterwards. Otherwise I'll go to another country
    iii. how was your experience? Very good! I'm reluctant to go home again.
    iv. did you return to Ireland, and why? I go back for Christmas, Easter and, this year, summer. Unless I decide to do a postgrad medicine course in Ireland, then I doubt I'll ever move back there. And even if i do the post grad degree, I won't stay in Ireland. I want to go somewhere warm, like California or Hawaii.

Did you get homesick? No, not really. Maybe for my family, and occassionally my friends, but I never miss ireland itself.

Do you hate that your kids don't get to 'go to nana's' on the weekend (something I'd like my kids to be able to do)? N/A but I can see how that would affect me in later years. Never know though, my mother might follow me to wherever my kids are.

Did you enjoy the new culture? It's not very different really. I found that helped because it wasn't a massive culture shock and there was no dislocation. Now that I've actually taken the leap and left Ireland, I feel I'll have no problems moving around in the future.

Was it more laid-back? Bout the samw

Do you think that your life would have been better or worse if you had stayed in Ireland? Worse, without a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BrenC

aw Dave just can't wait to leave us all, was it something I did? maybe..maybe not.

I love Ireland, where exactly do you want to go dave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

FACT: grass is greener where the manure drops, follow the cows and you can't go wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Actually I can relate to the OP somewhat here, so this is quite interesting for me, I'd like to move to Canada after I finish college..I'm studying Art, so there isn't exactly much of a push in Ireland for it. For the people that moved, what did ye miss the most?

BrenC wrote:
    aw Dave just can't wait to leave us all, was it something I did? maybe..maybe not.

I love Ireland, where exactly do you want to go dave?
    Hah, nice bump.

I don't know yet, since I haven't been to many countries yet, but looking from the outside, France and Australia seem like they'd be good for settling in, but obviously I'd have to actually go there and see what it's like. For all I know I'll hate them all and live in Ireland for the rest of my life (although I doubt it tbh, cos I really hate the cold and wet!!!!!), but this is the thinking at the moment anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

DaveMcG wrote:
    Is it?

Did you get homesick? Do you hate that your kids don't get to 'go to nana's' on the weekend (something I'd like my kids to be able to do)? Did you enjoy the new culture? Was it more laid-back? Do you think that your life would have been better or worse if you had stayed in Ireland?

Left for Munich when I was 18 in 2nd year of degree on work placement
    Left for New York when 19 for summer job on J1 Visa
    Left for Strasbourg, France when 22 upon finishing Uni to work in IT
    Left France after 18 months for London when 23 to continue with IT

Never homesick. Glad I did all that moving about. Had lots of fun and been to some interesting places /made some good friends.

I think this is worth a bump, cos the idea is still in my mind, so some more experiences couldn't hurt! cheers!

• Advertisement

Are you any closer to deciding if you are going to move abroad or not, OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'd advise everyone to spend some time abroad. Why the hell not? Ireland will always be here for you when you get back.

Spent a year in the Czech Republic myself. No perticular reason for going there, just felt I had to get away for a while. It was great anyway.. wasn't that taken by the city tbh (Prague that is) but the experience itself was one of the best I've had.

You say you'll go after your degree? So you'll be about 21/22? I'd say that's best actually. 18 might be a bit young to get the most out of it.. you'd get homesick or something :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

DaveMcG wrote:
    My parents are kinda dismissing this as a 'grass is always greener' thing., and maybe it is, maybe living abroad would be a let down!
    DaveMcG:
    In my experience your parents are right. But you need to find that out for yourself. Go for it!

i. why did you leave Ireland? Work promotion.
    ii. where do you move to, and for how long? England, for 3 years.
    iii. how was your experience? I made some great mates. Got great experience in my line of work. Discovered that the grass is the same goddamn shade of green as it is back home.
    iv. did you return to Ireland, and why? I did. My Da wasn't well & I wanted to be closer to home. (OK now thank God.) Also, Gf in England not well in head (Howya Heidi! Still got a fat arse & "issues"?).

Did you get homesick? Occasionally.

Did you enjoy the new culture? It was interesting.

Was it more laid-back? No.

Do you think that your life would have been better or worse if you had stayed in Ireland? Yes. It certainly broadened my horizons & made me appreciate home a lot more.

Edit: Just realised that this is an ancient thread resurrected. Hope my response is of use anyway.

Ruu wrote:
    Are you any closer to deciding if you are going to move abroad or not, OP?
    Well as I say, it's something I'd do in the future, rather than now, but I do still want to do it, yeh :)

I'm actually quite likely to defer going into 2nd year in college, so that'd give me a year off. Maybe that'd be a good time to spend time abroad...! I could work for 6 months and live in another country for 6 months. I dunno, we'll see how it goes anyway.

Good idea? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I firmly believe that travel broadens the mind..
    DaveMcG wrote:
    I find Ireland really depressing for some reason, maybe bad experiences, maybe it's just the weather (it's always gloomy... why can't it just be sunny!), dunno, but I don't enjoy living here.
    Sun definitely helps, but can also get annoying if you get too much.
    My parents are kinda dismissing this as a 'grass is always greener' thing, and maybe it is, maybe living abroad would be a let down!
    Sure, that's possible but you don't know until you've tried it.
    i. I came to Ireland from living in Scotland and much earlier Greece (and much earlier - The UAE). I left Ireland as I felt spiritually closed off. I was in a loop every day - working in a job I didn't enjoy. And I didn't feel at home.

ii. Greece, I'm still here after nearly three years.

iii. I'm glad I did the move, I felt, and feel much happier here although my wallet isn't happy in the slightest. I fulfilled my spiritual needs and I feel much more at home here. I may move on in a few years but I'll cross that bridge later.

iv. No, still here

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks folks!
    I don't get that homesick but that's how I am and how my family is. We're not a family that lives in one country and is close-knit. Most of the extended family lives abroad and moves around.

Yeah, I enjoy the culture and it's more laidback, my life is definitely better off here, but as I say - I am much much poorer here.
    I'm actually quite likely to defer going into 2nd year in college, so that'd give me a year off. Maybe that'd be a good time to spend time abroad...! I could work for 6 months and live in another country for 6 months. I dunno, we'll see how it goes anyway.

Good idea?
    Yes, that's the best idea tbh. Take a year out and travel. A mate of mine didn't have a whole lot of money but decided to try and travel the world. He went off to Thailand and worked a little bit somewhere when his money dwindled. He then met an Australian who needed someone to work in Australia doing some sort of diving instructing. So he went to Oz and worked for a few months. He got enough money to go off for a few months surfing and drinking beer. Then when the money dwindled he found other work. It is possible to do such a trip.

Good luck to you.

DaveMcG wrote:
    Well as I say, it's something I'd do in the future, rather than now, but I do still want to do it, yeh :)

Good idea? ;)

I reckon thats a splendid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭oranje

There are some specifically bad things about Ireland that I don't miss at all:
    a) The all-encompassing drink culture leading to many superficial contacts but not so many friends.
    b) The tendency to put everyone in a box. In my case I kept being told I was gay because of my mannerisms and accent. It is one thing getting hassled for what you are but for what you aren't is pretty annoying.
    c) The position of the Irish language. After getting an A in the Leaving I never got a chance to use it in normal life. Any time I spoke Irish I was looked at like I was mad with the exception of one encounter with some republicans in west Belfast. None of my friends can speak Irish and that for me is an indictment of the republic (look at Israel, Catalonia, the Basque Country where the national languages have been sucessfully revived).

The things I miss are:
    a) The Irish sports culture, the GAA for all its conservatism is something that is uniquely Irish and hurling at least is a fantastic sport. Rugby internationals were also a great treat to enjoy in my Dublin days.
    b) The sense of community in small towns like the one I am from.
    c) Speaking English when I am trying something to a plumber/insurance company/bank.

To answer your questions:

i. why did you leave Ireland?, ii. where do you move to, and for how long?
    To go to uni in England first, then I came back to study at Queen's and I worked in Ireland for a few years. I left Ireland again to work in Germany and now I have lived in Holland for seven years.

I prefer living abroad because I don't feel like I am being judged because of my accent or mannerisms. Also, I found the women more attractive in every country I have lived or spent a lot of time in than in Ireland (UK, Germany, Netherlands, Poland, Spain).
    For me learning and speaking languages is my main interest. I am married to a Pole and we are bringing our kids up as trilinguals (English/Polish/Dutch). Holland is a great country for this because there are also countless opportunities to learn other languages which were not as prevalent even in Dublin. I understand that most people are not interested in languages but, if you are, Ireland is not a good place to live as it is too far from other countries and English is too dominant.

I can't see myself going back. I'd like the kids to study in Ireland some day but overall I think that Holland is a better place to live and they will have far more chances in life growing up here.
    My views are pretty marked by all of these gay accusations I had to put up with. Insults like 'queer with the big words' stick in my mind.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

DaveMcG, try and get a summer job abroad for 3 or 4 months whilst at college. You can also get a work placement for a semester abroad a Uni, or study abroad for a semester. This isn't as hard as it sonuds. Ask various college departments and they'll fill you in.

Let it be noted that there is a big difference between travel and work abroad. Travel will allow you to see a place before you get used to it, as you will probably move on. Work will get you down and dirty with the culture, put down some minor roots, and help you feel slightly more at home.

My 2.1 cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

Was supposed to be a month long holiday.
    Amsterdam, stayed just over a year.
    Loved it, go back as often as i can.
    The missus at the time got homesick, and started to get a bit paranoid(probably due to the dope) so kinda had to come back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Left in 1998 after finishing a degree from Carlow RTC. I had no job and was free to travel before I settled down for good.

Paris, France. Came over to watch the World Cup final, found myself walking up the Champs with 1,000,000 other people and thought to myself 'This doesn't happen in Clonmel all that often!'. I found a job within a week with no French abilities.

I'm still here aren't I? :p

It's difficult to describe but in some ways you end up looking at the world differently and thinking about things in a way that maybe you wouldn't have if I had stayed at home. There's a strong Irish community in Paris and homesickness is cured by a €80 return fligh home whenever I want.
    We get 4 months of great weather and I get 11 weeks holidays per year. Sure I get paid less than someone doing the same job in Ireland but as with most of the French, I prefer to get paid less yet have more time for me and my family.

Not yet but thinking about it. Just got married and can't see myself bringing up a son or daughter with no family in the same country as us. Where grandparents are visited a few times a year.

Reasons why I wouldn't move back as yet :

1. The weather machine hasn't been fixed yet :)

2. The Irish/British drink culture. It's almost unknown over here yet you can get served from the age of 16. We go to the pub about once every 3 weeks and it's usually to hear music.

3. It's difficult to compare Paris to anywhere in Ireland but there's just a hell of a lot of stuff to do here. Even if you don't do any of it and just watch TV all the time, the fact that you know you can see that movie or go to that show does count.

4. Racism. Difficult one really as in France they have a more refined version of it having been exposed to other peoples for lot longer. My wife in Welsh and get the odd 'Brits Out' comments when we visit.

5. I eat better over here. The lifestyle is more relaxed. I can jump on a train at 20H and wake up 12 hours later in Rome for €100 return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Why did you leave Ireland?

I left Ireland in the summer of 2002 for a lot of different reasons. I'd had a long term relationship which left me feeling drained and in debt up to my eyeballs. I associated most of the places where I was spending time with that relationship, and it was a very negative experience. I had left a job which I thought would be my 'career' (before discovering we weren't mutually suited) and I was living in my parent's house.

I felt like I'd done most of what there was to do in Dublin - different jobs, socialised and lived in different areas (north, south, east and west of the city and suburbs), and had no desire to try living in a different county (South or West coast). It got so that I couldn't walk from the office to the shopping centre to buy lunch without meeting someone I knew. Some people would love that - I hated it. I wanted to move somewhere bigger, for a change of pace, scenery and a go at anonymity.

Where did you move to, and for how long?

I moved to the greater London area, initially for a year. Four years later, I'm still here. I've moved further out, into Surrey. A lot of what I was looking for is here, but you will always get some things that don't work out the way you thought they would.

How was your experience?

It's been difficult, but valuable. I've taken all the opportunities I could to really build a life for myself. This included trying a number of other jobs before realising I'm better off working for myself. I'm now self-employed, and it's the best thing I ever did.

I've made some great friends, developed a relationship into a marriage and am very happy. However there are a lot of things about South East England that don't suit me - yet again, I've missed the boat on purchasing affordable property. Plus it's expensive to live here - the cost of a basket of goods is far cheaper than in Ireland, but when you're in Ireland you don't have to pay council tax, your petrol and train fares are much cheaper and you don't have problems with water shortages and water rates!

Did you return to Ireland, and why?

I haven't yet. Strangely, now that I'm self employed, moving back to live in Ireland doesn't hold the same horror as it used to when I considered the concept of renting and commuting to an office job. However, I've got other places, further afield, that I want to go. My parents are still in Ireland, and they're elderly, but I've learned that you really can't let that hold you back.

Did you get homesick?

Never! Which just goes to show - there was pretty much nothing I missed from Ireland. I was too busy enjoying the 2002 sunshine, beer garden and late night curry entertainment of the summer. By the time that wore off, I'd landed my first 'proper' job and was concentrating on that. Eight months after I'd moved to England, I moved in with my now husband, so that formed something of a distraction. Basically it was a full year since the pace of life slowed sufficiently that I even had a chance to stop and consider how it was to no longer be living in Ireland.

Yes. I like the mix of cultures in greater London and the South East. I love being able to get decent ethnic food! I like how having a religious argument can be about more than one religion. (I have a fond memory of a lunchtime discussion that involved a lapsed catholic, a jew, a muslim, a hindu and an agnostic abandoning plans to go back to work and staying in the restaurant until 7pm, fighting about holy books.)

Was it more laid-back?

Not particularly. London is a busy place, but at the same time the ethnic groups also bring their own sense of urgency with them. Some people are very chilled out and laid back, then you get the types who'll start a fight in the train ticket office queue of a morning because the 'system is disorganised'.

Do you think that your life would have been better or worse if you had stayed in Ireland?

There's no 'better or worse', I think, there's just 'different'. I needed the clean start that a relocation gave me, and even though it wasn't plain sailing from the outset and I made more poor choices and mistakes, I'm now in a far better place than I was five years ago.

How and ever, now that I have myself sorted out emotionally, spiritually, career-wise and financially, I find myself planning yet another move! I want to do some travelling and eventually settle in Melbourne, Australia. I'm considering some supplementary training to help me in my business. Unfortunately, however, it's the price of housing stock that's really pushing me further afield. If I were to move back to Ireland or stay in England, all that would happen is I'd end up stretched to the last penny trying to afford a property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Caught the 'want to go' bug after spending my DIT Summers in France, then the US. I was v tempted to bolt after my Tech Dipl. Parents convinced me otherwise. Hanging around in Dublin penniless for another 3 years was a grind, but leaving for the States, degree in hand, has made for a far better life than what might have been.

Atlanta, GA. Been here for 10yrs.

Love it. Has pros and cons, of course. More pros.

No. Just for 'vacation'. Will be staying here. Wife. Kid. Dog. 3 cars. Even if I wanted to come home, I would be screwed financially after missing the housing market inflation elevator. I/we travel home at least once a year. And feel just a little bit more foreign with each visit. (I change and Ireland changes).

v. Did you get homesick?

Only during the 1st year. Sadly, the homesickness goes away. What doesn't ever go away is missing family. Which I suppose is a component of homesickness, just deeper, more fundamental.

vi. Do you hate that your kids don't get to 'go to nana's' on the weekend (something I'd like my kids to be able to do)?

I do wish we were closer to my parents. They visit at least once a year, but every other weekend would be a whole lot better!

vii. Did you enjoy the new culture?

Oh yeah. Very different to home. Very diverse. Have to say I miss not being able to travel in Europe. Those cheap Ryanair flights to places you used only be able to get to inter-railing... Thing is, 12 years ago, I would have traded my sister to visit a place like the BVI, or the Rockies as the Winter starts to close the passes.

viii. Was it more laid-back?

In a way. There is a laid back attitude. On the other hand, people work long and hard here. The dream of retiring at 50 still remains elusive for most. Won't stop me trying though.

ix. Do you think that your life would have been better or worse if you had stayed in Ireland?

I have to second a previous poster: I probably would have done well for myself in Ireland but the thoughts of living in an estate in the suburbs of Dublin doesn't do much for me. I had a big opportunity in Dublin that I chose to forsake. I often wonder 'what if?'. Need to stop wondering at this point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

dave2pvd wrote:
    I change and Ireland changes.

Quoted for truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭exCrumlinBoyo

I'd like to know:

I met my now wife who is American in Dublin 5 years ago. I am Dublin born and bread and did think of leaving for greener grass many times, but never had the opportunity. When my wife mentioned to me about coming to live in Florida with her, I did not think twice. We were about to start a family and with the ever rising cost of living back home, Florida sounded like a dream come true. I jumped at the chance and I have no regrets.

We moved to Pensacola Florida, an area in N.W Florida in which my wife moved here back in 1993. Now, we had all the immigration s hit to go through which was not pleasant, but we did it ourselves and I am now hold full permanent residency, AKA Green Card. I am living here for 4 years now.

My experience in the 4 years I have lived here has been generally good. Its has it ups and downs and a lot of hard work in order to get to where I am today. We landed her with a baby on the way so it was down to me to get my **** together. We moved into my wife’s parent’s house, I did the immigration thing which took a total of 2 years to get my green card, 8 months to be able to work ect. I got a job and then got promoted with better money. Moved out of my in laws house into an apartment, and a year later bought our first house. No matter where you are in the world if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything. Different places has it good points and bad points.

Honestly it took me about 18 months to get over the homesickness. It was worst when doing the immigration stuff. Ask anyone who has been through it and they will tell you the INS or UCIS as they like to be called these days, do not make it easy for you. Thoughts of going back home flooded my mind constantly during that time, but as soon as I got it all finalized that helped a lot especially moving out into our own place and the birth of my son, which cemented our family. My son funnily enough was born on St. Patrick’s day here in Florida. It was a very special day for an Irish man in Florida. I went home for my first visit in November 2004 for two weeks which was fantastic. It was very strange and emotional if the truth be known. It was like I obliviously knew the place since I spent 23 years of my life in Dublin, but at the same time it was strangely unfamiliar. I remember leaving home to go home to Florida that for me was painful. Looking back it was really leaving the family which hurt the most, and they would be the only reason that I would go back home to live. I have thought about it many many times, and as the title of this post says, the grass is always greener….. I believe if I did move back home with my Family, it would be a mistake and I picture what life would be like living back in Ireland with my two kids and my wife.

As I said above the homesickness is not around any more. Missing family and friends never goes away, but they are only a phone call away at the end of the day. Now, my kids missing out on my family and my family missing out in my kids, well I feel guilty about that a lot. Even though my mum or any of my family back home in Dublin has never said it, they would give anything, especially my mum and sister to have me and the wife and kid’s back home living in Dublin. If I am honest, I would like that also, but we have a good life here in Florida. I can provide for my family better here in Florida than I ever could back home in Dublin or Ireland. We own our home and we are ready to sell and move into a bigger home in the next year. We could never own a home back in Ireland even with my wife working also with the prices. My wife stays at home with our kids and goes to college at night time, so we have one income, which is very modest, but very manageable. We recently bought a brand new car, and do not pay through the roof on insurance premiums every month and pay extortionate motor tax for the privilege of driving the car. I read and keep in touch with the happenings in Dublin/Ireland on a daily basis and it frightens me at how bad its gotten back home. Its one thing with the economy, but people have become worst. I read nothing but little pricks going around stabbing and shooting each other. Then there is the racism, which I will never understand, small mindness is what it is. Immigration is a fact of life now especially with Europe opening its doors. It will finally settle down and people will get used to the new influx of different nationalities, but is a evolution process which will take years. The immigrants will be good and bad, but the bad will paint everyone in the same stroke. Even though guns are legal to own over here in the states and I don’t own one, I feel safer over here than I would back in Dublin. I don’t have to bolt my car to the ground, sure many times I have left it unlocked in the garden and its left safe and sound.

To summarize, no matter where you decide to go or where faith will end up having you at, it’s up to you to make the most of your given situation. If I could move my family from Dublin, mum, dad ect to Florida with me life would be perfect, but that’s not going to happen. I think I got out while the going was good and now a days its gone to the ****s. Don’t get me wrong, I love Ireland and I love the fact that I am a Dubliner through and through and that my kids are Irish while also being American, they get the best of both worlds, but Ireland and Dublin is going down the drain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I'm going to New Zealand in Jan/Feb for an undetermined amount of time and this thread has gotten me excited about it again. I have travelled somewhat, but not for a huge amount of time, but I have seen alot of europe and been out of the country around 8 times and I agree with Gordon above, travelling does broaden the mind. We are only on this planet for a short while lads, try not to get too worked up or stuck with where you are - feeling like this is it for you. There's a big wonderful world out there that's waiting for you to experience it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

for teh craic, new exoperiences, whatever.
    West coast USA, 9 months
    It was a nice place, good weather, but the USA is shallow and is basically a big bag of bóllock
    Because Ireland is definetly the best country to live in IMO.
    And I've been around.

As soon as I finish my MSc, I intend to move abroad for a phd, and possibly to settle down abroad. I really do want to get out of here, even if funding is going to make my life difficult. Whenever I think where will I end up living, my vision usually includes abroad. Not USA though. Scary.
    I lived in Spain for a year a few years ago. It was pretty cool. Was a year out, mostly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

I just wanted to. I moved to London first, because I remembered hearing that one guy in the year ahead of me had moved there, and I immediately thought "that is so cool". I moved to the US later, as I had been there on a J-1 and loved it there, plus I managed to get a green card.

I moved to London in June of '95, almost immediately after graduating from college. A few days after I'd moved, my Dad told me that a package had come from the US Embassy - I'd got a green card in the lottery.

About a year of bureaucracy later, I headed to Philadelphia. Some friends of mine from college were doing a masters there, so I could stay with them for a while. Originally I planned to move to California as soon as I got settled, but I loved Philly so I stayed. I've been here about ten years now.

London was great, but quite expensive. I was only there a year, and all the lads in my house were also fresh out of college, so it was like an extended student summer. I loved the size and hustle and bustle of it.

I love the States. So much stuff looked like it did in films. I remember in the early days walking down streets thinking they looked like Sesame Street, or the street on The Cosby Show. Everything seemed so big. I loved the 50-story skyscrapers, monstrous bridges, 12-lane highways, freight trains several hundred carriages long rolling past.

The change in seasons is a huge benefit. I love that I can drive an hour North in the winter and go skiing, and drive an hour East in the summer and lie on the beach in 35 degree weather. Not that I do that a huge amount, but it's cool to have the option.

The first two years here was like another extended J1 summer as most of the people I hung around with were other Irish who were either in college here, or had just graduated. After that, some started moving home as their student visas ran out, plus the economy back home was really hotting up at the time. There were about thirty of us hanging out together there at the start, and seven or eight of us are still here - all the rest are gone back.

Since then it has been more grown up. The job situation seems different to Europe (going by what my friends are going through). I change jobs a lot more frequently. Partly because startups go down the tubes, or get bought out by bigger companies that will sack half the people immmediately, and partly because there are just so many companies to get new jobs from. It seems to be more dynamic in both a good and bad way, which suits me.

Most of us who stayed are married now (including me), and some with kids (not me). People do seem to get married a bit younger here. The last of my friends out here (Irish, locals, and otherwise) have just about been married off, while my friends back home are just getting started on the wedding train.

The one problem here is that you don't get enough time off, but that seems to be changing slowly. I get about three weeks holidays, which seems to be about average. It used to be two weeks was about the average. Working for a government office or college you'd get more.
    However, you can make the most of a weekend when you are so close to beaches, ski-ing, etc. Plus you have banks open until 8:00pm, malls open until 10:00, supermarkets open almost 24-hours, so you can do most of your personal business on the way home from work.

I did not. I go back about once a year, usually for a wedding, these days.
    Most of the crop of lads that came out the same time as me went back, but I just loved it here. A few years back, one of the lads who had moved back home told me that within a week of me coming over he knew I'd never move home.

Did you get homesick?
    At first, I would get homesick when I did something like buying a car, or moving apartments, as it made the move feel more permanent. I remember, just a month or two after I had moved, missing my cousin's wedding - she was the first cousin of our generation to get married, and I got really homesick wishing I was home for that.

I rarely get homesick any more, though. With email, chat, cheap phone calls etc. it is quite easy to stay in touch with people.

Also, practically all of my friends and family have moved to Dublin or abroad. People are what I get homesick for, so I'd basically be missing a place that doesn't exist any more if I was pining for Cork as I remember it.

Do you hate that your kids don't get to 'go to nana's' on the weekend (something I'd like my kids to be able to do)?
    Don't have kids (yet), but I am already quite sure that will upset me.

Absolutely love it. I live right in Philadelphia, while most of the other Irish lads I know are living the stereotypical suburban "white picket fence" towns outside of Philly. A few of them have moved way out, practically to the Amish country.

Any country you go to can offer a variety of cultures. Just like living in Dublin City Centre would be very different from rural Mayo.

On paper, crime is higher here. Philly (a city about the size of Dublin) has about a murder a day, but the crime is very much confined to bad neighbourhoods. And the pensioners don't take crap. The vast majority of killings seem to be one drug dealer killing another. I honestly hear a lot more stories of friends back home being burgled and having cars stolen than I hear from my friends here.*

It is more suburbanized. Even though I live in the city, I always end up working in suburban office parks, thanks to the ultra-localized politics of townships and boroughs competing with tax-breaks for businesses. I'd like to be able to walk, cycle or take the train to work, but that is often just not possible here.

Some people seem to like it that way. I have plenty of friends who would rather drive their SUV from their McMansion development to a chain sports bar / restaurant in a strip mall, than stroll out the front door and down the street for a few pints in the local bar, which is what I prefer.

Also, the commercialization is beyond belief. I was drinking a pint the other day and there was an ad for a local real-estate agent on the pint glass. The supermarkets have TVs playing ads while you are standing in line at the checkout.

Was it more laid-back?
    Not more laid back than Cork (where I'm from) but I would guess Philly would be on a par with Dublin in terms of hustle and bustle. I could always move out to 'burbs or out the country if I wanted it quieter, or move to NYC or LA if I wanted it more hectic.

I think it would not have suited me as well. When I moved out here first I was making a lot more money than I would have been at home, but now the economy at home has either caught up or is getting close.

Living is cheaper here, though. Houses, obviously, are a lot cheaper. Luxury goods are cheaper, though food from a supermarket I would say is a bit more expensive. Clothes are obviously much cheaper - a search on "Woodbury Commons" in Rec->Travel will tell you that. My gas, electric, phone bills etc. seem to be a lot lower than my friends' back home are.

* Of course, now I'm jinxing myself and my stereo will be gone when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pink27

Yes I did go away, had a great time, didnt do the usual irish thing and drink my way through each country, I appreciated what I saw. I loved it away and also when the year was up I was happy to come back too, to meet my friends and family.
    Thing Id say to you is, only you can decide. If you have this in your system, you have to get it out, meaning you have to go experience it. Or else youll regret it. All providing you will have enough finances or course. That is an important thing in order to experience it in full. The hardest part is coming back to ireland with a bang. Takes so long to get back on your feet again, job, transport, accommodation. It might be better if you save a bit first, assuming your a poor college student right now:), before you think about heading off. Hope that helps.

hehe, open-ended question :p

hey folks,

I'm only 18 at the moment, but I plan on moving abroad when I finish my degree. I find Ireland really depressing for some reason, maybe bad experiences, maybe it's just the weather (it's always gloomy... why can't it just be sunny!), dunno, but I don't enjoy living here.

There's a good number of people on boards who have actually done what I want to do, left Ireland for whatever reason, and lived there, maybe returning, and I want to know your experiences of this!

I'd like to know:

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks folks![/quote]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Travel broadens the mind, if you can travel, why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

pink27 wrote: »
    Let me know your thoughts!

Zombies scare me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Originally Posted by pink27
    I will , just not tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Feck sake, I thought we were going to find out what Dave! did in the end...

What was the point in resurrecting this ffs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

A lot of my friends and family ask me "why don't you just go abroad and get a job there?"

I cannot do that, I probably never will be able to it. Ireland is my home and it always will be, I love it here. I love the weather... I cannot stick the heat. I wear a t-shirt in the winter for crying out loud. People cannot understand that one :)

I would get home sick, although I live away from my parents, and have done so for 5 or 6 years now. I know our government are not the best, I know this place is a rip off, I know there is a lot wrong with Ireland, but still... I love it.

When I was a kid, I wanted to move to australia, but that changed for a few differant reasons. My brother is over there now making a nice few dollars. He has about 900 dollars after his rent and bills are paid for every week. Decent in my opinion.

I always said "well there's no dangerous animals or the likes here". :)

I do enjoy getting away and seeing differant countries, experiencing differant cultures, foods and people. I could not stay away for more than a few weeks. I guess I am, and always will be a home bird.

At the moment I am thinking about getting a job in Belgium, where my girlfriend is from. Her brother is a supervisor in a windscreen factory. I have to ask if there is anything going. But this would only be for a few months to get some money together for loan payments. It would be better than social welfare after bills and rent. It's just a thought at the moment though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

if theres grass in the field, play ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Have you had any experience of other countries?

Otherwise you find life depressing, not Ireland, if Ireland is all you've experienced. Theres nothing to say life won't be a ****ter somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

i. why did you leave Ireland? Finished college, no jobs, wanted to get out. fancied an adventure. throw a woman into that equation too.

ii. where do you move to, and for how long? I now live in Heidelberg Germany. Ive been here for nearly a year.

iii. how was your experience? Hard at first but great overall. I had no german initially but as my language skills improved my life here did too.

iv. did you return to Ireland, and why? only on holidays. i have no desire (keine lust) to go back for the moment.

Did you get homesick? Of course, im very close to my family. i get home every 6 weeks or so. not too bad.

Do you hate that your kids don't get to 'go to nana's' on the weekend (something I'd like my kids to be able to do)? Dont have any yet but would be sure to get the littel uns home should they pop out. at least once or twice a month.

Did you enjoy the new culture? yes. germans are weird make no mistake. but overall lifestyle is better, for me at least.

Was it more laid-back? Personally yes, but its impossible to know how things will work out. i got an oppertunity to come here and i took it. worked out well for me but thats not to say life here is not without its challenges.

Do you think that your life would have been better or worse if you had stayed in Ireland? Much ,much better. Purely from a personal standpoint. Just had to get out of there. I love to get back for a few days but am happy with my life in germany.

Things have worked out well for me but it didnt come easy. I was fortunate and had a good oppertunity presented to me. the lifestyle is very differernt but, for me at least was easy enough to adapt to and embrace.

for anyone reading this who is thinking of moving to germany, austria or swiss feel free to PM any questions i might be able to help with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

feck sake lads you're answering a question from 3 years ago! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

knew well he couldnt be a mod at 18!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement