Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL issues - Dublin 15 - Roselawn

• 15-03-2006 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone. I was wondering how many people from D15 have had problems with NTL. Im sitting on dial up here cos my NTl is out for the day and still ain't connecting. I have spken to a friend or 2 who are experiencing the same in my area. Its really P***ing me off at this point, their Support is brutal, they don't tell me anything and best they can do is send a techniction to my house next wednesday, or a techy to the area tomorrow evening. How brutal is that, I have had NOTHING but trouble since I connected with NTL 4-5 Months back. I am so sorry I ever started with them and can't wait for my yearly contract to run out. They are a joke if you ever have a problem. I mean anytime I need a technition to my house Which i have had a few times, I have to wait a week before they can come out and its as brutal as ever.

Anyway, Anybody experiencing trouble with them today as I and a few others I know of are... If they are upgrading the area they are doing a lousy job of letting us know.

Thanks,

Hj

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Was dead for me all day too (on the next road from you). It's back now but there's packet loss and huge pings..so...don't think it'll last..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A completely inefficient company. My advice is to swap ISP. I did it after more than 10 'Technician' callouts. Nobody could find the problem or wanted to. I'm using Eircom now and it's perfect.........so far

Can't wait for Sky to get the broadband sorted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Maybe NTL have started the upgrades from 3m to 6m. When upgrades happen it always causes problems for a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.224.86] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.58.224.86: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=244
    Reply from 212.58.224.86: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=244

Ping statistics for 212.58.224.86:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 25ms, Average = 22ms

perfect as ever in Carpenterstown !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Was off for much of the afternoon and evening, but seems OK now..hopefully it stays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Also in D.15 beside (Drapper)

Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.224.127] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.58.224.127: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=242
    Reply from 212.58.224.127: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=242
    Reply from 212.58.224.127: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=242

Ping statistics for 212.58.224.127:
    Minimum = 26ms, Maximum = 42ms, Average = 30ms

I had loads of problems with my NTL BB. I only resolved it when I changed tack and got them to fix poor signal quality on the TV. The guys fixing that problem found a load of problems and fixed them for TV. But that forced them to send out BB engineer and adjust the BB to suit the changes they made because of the TV signal. I had been back and forward to NTL BB for months previously and they never sent anyone out. My connection is still spikey with regard to response time, which I think results in lag in games and VOIP problems.

Also in D.15 beside (Drapper)

Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.224.127] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.58.224.127: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=242
    Reply from 212.58.224.127: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=242

Ping statistics for 212.58.224.127:
    Minimum = 26ms, Maximum = 42ms, Average = 30ms

I had loads of problems with my NTL BB. I only resolved it when I changed tack and got them to fix poor signal quality on the TV. The guys fixing that problem found a load of problems and fixed them for TV. But that forced them to send out BB engineer and adjust the BB to suit the changes they made because of the TV signal. I had been back and forward to NTL BB for months previously and they never sent anyone out. My connection is still spikey with regard to response time, which I think results in lag in games and VOIP problems.

mine was poor but after 1 call a day for nearly 3 moths fixed it !!! peed them off !!! tooooooooooo much lol

Well, it was down again for me this morning. Still possibly, I'm posting from work now. Did anyone call ntl or hear anything on what the problem is? I'm gonna call them this afternoon if its still down, and would ask others to do so too if they're having probs..they're more likely to pay attention if they're getting multiple calls, I guess :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

My brother (D.7 Blackhorse) said his BB was down this morning too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dillon_the_rabb

Hi all.

I'm in Clonee (the Dublin side), and I have had no problems what so ever. The only problems I get is when the modem seems to stop any traffic. Pull the plug out, wait ten seconds, plug in the power cable, and it all works perfectly. This only happens once in a blue moon, so overall, I am quite happy with it. I've had nothing like the problems described here (touch wood).

However, I have noticed over the past few days, that the speeds seem to be fluctuating, one minute I might be d/l'ing at a steady 220kbps, the next it may jump up to nearly 300kbps. This seems strange considering that I have a 2meg line.

Has anybody else noticed this, or is it just me?

Cheers

Matt :cool:
    aka
    DTR

• Advertisement

It's been off all day, but just come back now. I called ntl earlier and they said there was a "big problem" but couldn't elaborate or provide an estimate as to when it'd be fixed. I hope to God now that this is back "for good". I am/was v. worried that we'll have to go the bank holiday weekend without it being fixed.

GAH... it's terrible atm. Max download speed appears to be 150kbits per second (I'm on the 3meg connection)... must be one huge problem they're having.

I'm just off Roselawn road btw.

Yeah, speeds are very poor. It's slightly like dialup :mad: I just hope it doesn't go down altogether, though. And I hope ntl have people working on this tomorrow and over the weekend..

LookingFor wrote:
    Yeah, speeds are very poor. It's slightly like dialup :mad: I just hope it doesn't go down altogether, though. And I hope ntl have people working on this tomorrow and over the weekend..

I doubt it !:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Yeah I'm very disapointed in NTL to be honest. Nothing but trouble since I connected with them a few months back.

I have an technician coming out about the problem I originally thought was just me, But when he comes im just going to tell him to sort my connection that keeps dropping and making my modem loose Sync. It can happen 2-3 times perday and is VERY annoying. It basically just D/c for about a minute or 2 and then reconnects, and it can perform this up to 2-3 times / day. Its pretty much been happening ever since I connected. Anybody know what this could be due to ?

I think I may end up going back to Eircom and just pay the extra price, The quality of the service is just alot higher and their support is quite good unlike NTL's " We'll send out a technician " everytime you ring.

Hj

Back to full speed for me. :)
    HungryJoey wrote:
    I have an technician coming out about the problem I originally thought was just me, But when he comes im just going to tell him to sort my connection that keeps dropping and making my modem loose Sync. It can happen 2-3 times perday and is VERY annoying. It basically just D/c for about a minute or 2 and then reconnects, and it can perform this up to 2-3 times / day. Its pretty much been happening ever since I connected. Anybody know what this could be due to ?
    Sounds like a noisy line... they have been known to fix these. If they don't, complain about a dodgy TV signal and they'll fix the BB in the process.

With the exception of the last 2 days I have never lost sync once....

Advertisement