Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home theatre pc MCE

• 15-03-2006 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking into buying a media centre pc for home theater (HTPC!!). Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations or suggestions on models or where to buy etc. PC's are easy to come by in ireland, but HTPC and MCE editions etc are hard to find.

Thanks,
    Wexfordman

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

if u like a little bit of challenge, you can build it yourself. same as building ordinary pcs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

I wouldnt get one yet , although I love mine the guide keeps on vanishing and reprogramming it each time isnt not fun when you have over 100 channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Dell will sell you a machine with XP-MCE installed, though they don't have any nice htpc cases.

Overclockers.co.uk (and others) will sell you an MCE license as long as you buy 1 piece of h/w at the same time. I'm sure PCWorld would happily overcharge you for a box with MCE on it - have you checked?

I'm playing with mediaportal (though not for TV) it's still a little buggy but it is nice - as good as MCE

If you want to get your hands dirty and learn some linux then have a look at MythTV

Advertisement