Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost Hard Drive Space

• 15-03-2006 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    My 120GB hard drive is only showing up with 32GB capacity. Any ideas how I can recover the lost storage?
    It's a spare drive so no data on it and it's not partitioned.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Format the drive using NTFS and if that is not the issue then upgrade your BIOS.

Both can be the cause of a 32 GB limit.

Cal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Also, what OS are you running? Afaik though, even Win 98 can see 127GB, so your most likely culprit is an out of date BIOS.

seamus wrote:
    Also, what OS are you running? Afaik though, even Win 98 can see 127GB, so your most likely culprit is an out of date BIOS.

Altough Win 98 can see greater than the 32GB, Win 2K & XP can only format upto 32GB in FAT32. FAT32 can be upto 127GB but not if formatted by Win 2K or XP.

I get the feeling they want us to use NTFS.:)

Cal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Thanks. I'm using XP, don't think it's the BIOS as I already have a 200GB drive in there and that's fine.
    I had taken this drive out, but I'll install it again now and format NTFS. I'l let you know how I get on.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

right click on my computer and go to manage, then disk managment.
    you should be able to tell if the drive has been recognised properly there

• Advertisement

tman wrote:
    right click on my computer and go to manage, then disk managment.
    you should be able to tell if the drive has been recognised properly there

Just formatted, but no change. Status is healthy, NTFS, Capacity 31.48GB?? Maybe I'll have to buy another HD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭johny28

kin9pin wrote:
    Just formatted, but no change. Status is healthy, NTFS, Capacity 31.48GB?? Maybe I'll have to buy another HD?
    OK, try this mate;go to disk cleanup and more options then clean up the system restore because sometimes windows xp setting aside too much room for system restore.

if this does not work go to the websitge of the machine manufacture and download the bios on to a floppy disk and follow the instruction to upgrade it.
    (make sure you backup everything before proceeding with this process)

however before doing this have a look at the bios options and see how the ide drives settings are.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

kin9pin wrote:

is it showing any unpartitioned space though?

tman wrote:
    is it showing any unpartitioned space though?

Nope, that's what I can't understand.

Check the jumper settings on the Drive. You could have the 32GB limit jumper set.

Cal.

• Advertisement

Cal wrote:
    Check the jumper settings on the Drive. You could have the 32GB limit jumper set.

Cal.
    Thanks Cal, I just logged on to say I had the jumpers set to clip to 32GB :o
    Didn't even know there was that option.

Thanks to everyone for your help, saved me buying a new one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kin9pin wrote:
    Thanks Cal, I just logged on to say I had the jumpers set to clip to 32GB :o
    Didn't even know there was that option.

Thanks to everyone for your help, saved me buying a new one.
    LOL

I can remember someone nearly in tears trying to setup a Novell 3.12 fileserver. Monster of a machine 486 with 16MB RAM and a 1GB SCSI drive.

That's when we discovered that some SCSI HDD's had a write protect jumper :rolleyes:

Advertisement