Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taking things a bit far?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Padraig, you'll get that "what if" worry with anything in life *especially* in this sort of scenario you talk about; in my experience it's best just to do the right thing and not worry about it. You might be saving someone's life by helping take her off the road, and all that without having to wear your jocks outside your trousers :D

You know yourself - if you choose the do-nothing route you'll be kicking yourself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

fair play to ya lad I agree wholely....

even if it does only make her think twice in future- knowing this irish legal system it'll probably get bogged down in court but at least it will make her learn from the situation and take more care in future maybe this will even work as a deterrent to other careless drivers if they hear about this kind of case being brought forward by a concerned motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Couple of people have mentioned about them not being taken seriously when they made similar complaints. I wonder if I am being taken fairly seriously because I myself was NOT involved in the near-accidents? i.e. it's not like she cut me up and I'm just trying to piss her off by reporting her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Fair play to you for taking the time out to do this. I always check to see if traffic has stopped before taking off after seeing a crash a while ago caused by a car running the lights. The biker was lucky but should have looked first(I'm a biker with a strong sense of self preservation). Overtaking to run through red lights is a new one. Only ever seen joy riders doing something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

The maniacal way she was driving was as potentially dangerous as a headcase brandishing a gun on the street. You were right to go for (b).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I gave a statement to the guards last night for something similar. Didn't think they'd be bothered myself when I first went to them, but was glad they decided to try and pursue it. Some little scrote in a Starlet GT Turbo almost crashed into me when pulling out from a roundabout where he had no right of way, then repeatedly started jamming on the brakes after I'd sounded my horn to try and get our cars to mate.

Turns out there were three other 'enquiries' about him on file.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Option B all the way. Light breaking, and proper breaking as you describe it above, is absolutely endemic at the moment, among all types of motorists in all types of vehicles. At the end of this process, which you should be commended for initiating, there will hopefully be one less person doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Fair dues to you. TBH, I wish I had the cahones to do the same thing, but have given up on reporting things to the gardai. I know that's a bad attitude, but I think they're reluctance to do anything can be more to do with lack of manpower than laziness on the officers part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 wreckedhead

It's option B for sure !
    There is too much of that going on,as some one else siad ,
    a Dickhead like that could and probably will cause a serious accident.
    Option B, or a good kick in the ass,excuse the pun " It would drive you mad ":mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Padraig Mor, I would'nt fret about the family of "psycho-billys" possibility.

Chances are they are ordinary people who may also know that this individual is'nt a good driver and fear the worst whenever she steps out the front door.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

100% agree with all others here, go with B.

I complained to the garda before about dangerous driving where I live, the guy was a regular offender driving up a residential road at about 60mph - usual little scum bag type with some half assed car. The garda was sympathetic but was definitely pushing towards the caution option and not the court option. I chose the caution option in the fact the guy would know me and where I live...maybe I can be called a chicken or whatever but I didn't want to take the chance in the fact I have a wife and child, you wouldn't know what a little scumbag like this might do, even if to throw a stone or something through the window.

In a situation like what the OP has described, I would without doubt go with option B. Fair play and more (including me) should do something about the crazy driving we all experience on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Have to agree wit you i would have gone with option b as well.

Especially as she overtook a car to go through the red light:eek: :eek:

Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Option B for sure. The fact that she deliberately at the second red light moved out when she shouldnt just shows that she's a dangerous driver and should not be on the road.

You're doing the right thing, we need idiots like this off our roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I agree with what you're doing but it worries me how easily the guards assume you are an honest person not out to just pi55 someone off..

For example, a few weeks ago, some prize to55er in a 740i nearly destroyed the entire side of my 6 month old car because he felt he had the right to cut me up and force his way in front on a slip road leading onto the M50.. He then sat up my arse to which I tapped the brakes and then simply accelerated quicker then he could/was willing to and lost him. A few minutes later, he comes flying up the inside of me (this guy was in his late 50s) and starts waving a phone at me as if to say I'm calling the guards.

What's to stop that little pr*ck going to the guards and telling them I nearly killed him and me having to defend myself and all because he felt he was better than everyone else on the road that day and deserved to get to his distination quicker than everyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

I almost collided with a Dublin Airport Authority vehicle last week. The driver of the Isuzu pick-up and trailer (for transporting luggage trolleys) had broken a red light by about 3 or 4 seconds. I immediately telephoned the DAA with the vehicle registration number and make/model to make a complaint but was told to contact the Airport Police if I had a problem. When I telephoned the Airport Police they said they would only accept complaints in person. I was on a tight schedule and didn't have the time to do this. I would have thought that a caution could have been given to the driver by the DAA or the Airport Police. He even had a "How's my driving" plate on the rear of the trailer but I didn't get the (mobile) number on it. It's bad enough for a private motorist to break a red light but to do it in an easily identified vehicle beggars belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ChristyBrown

a) fair play to ya
    b) bring back public flogging

Advertisement