Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Have a look, tell me what you think!

• 16-03-2006 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭

Mods, feel free to move this if you wish. I'm putting it here to get more views :)

Thank to google video, I've uploaded my Final college video, and 1 other Music Video I edited for some one else as there Final Video.

If you have 50 minutes and the bandwidth, have a look here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7357682453301521314

Feel free to reply here with comments, good or bad, or e-mail me at this address: gatheringreply@googlemail.com

Hope you enjoy it!

Cheers,

John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Just watched through it there, shame about Google's low res though, it was enjoyable.

Your editing was seamless and very professional too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭The OP

Lump wrote:
    Mods, feel free to move this if you wish. I'm putting it here to get more views :)

Thank to google video, I've uploaded my Final college video, and 1 other Music Video I edited for some one else as there Final Video.

If you have 50 minutes and the bandwidth, have a look here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7357682453301521314

Feel free to reply here with comments, good or bad, or e-mail me at this address: gatheringreply@googlemail.com

Hope you enjoy it!

Cheers,

John
    Boring, pretencious, and wrong forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Didn't enjoy it much to be honest, but it is well edited and professional in its presentation, good job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Damn video froze up on me halfway through. Couldn't get it to work again. From what I saw it was very good. Nice one!

Didn't enjoy it much to be honest, but it is well edited and professional in its presentation, good job!
    Yeah, don't get me wrong Lump; it was edited well, but its hard to make pretencious **** look good. It was a terribley drab and crap story to begin with, so it's not your fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Very well edited, as others have said, very neat and tidy production...

..but I found so much of it hilarious, whether unintentionally or not I don't know, or perhaps the pretentiousness that The OP was talking about was so OTT that I found it impossible to resist...

But I've seen (and taken part in making) a HELLUVA lot worse, so I congratulate you on a polished production, nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Ye, well edited ect ect..... but the fact that i turned it off half way isn't good :o, just didnt feel the story at all.

Even the names of the characters are boring: Michael Soran, Ral Heller, Vernon Devan, and Yawny McZzzzz.

"Who is Vernon Devan?
    What Information does the disc hold?
    And who will reach it first?"

Answer: nobody cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

The OP wrote:
    Even the names of the characters are boring: Michael Soran, Ral Heller, Vernon Devan, and Yawny McZzzzz.

"Who is Vernon Devan?
    What Information does the disc hold?
    And who will reach it first?"

Answer: nobody cares.

Wow, you are being rather lame, you said your piece, now leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I agree.
    I didn't get to watch the full thing but got through about the first ten mins, will watch the rest tomorrow and give my opinion on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 La Cucaracha

Despite the OP's ramblings i went and watched it anf thought it quite entertaining, sure the music could've done with a re-hash, but hey we dont all command symphony orchestras. Overall i liked it, thought provoking and edited seamlessly

Sorry - the more I thought about how pretencious it was, the more irritated I got. Sorry Lump - no offence to you intended. Good editing like I said. Very polished.

Either way, there is an "Audio/Video Editing", and a "Film Production" forum - wouldn't this topic belong in one of those before here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

The OP wrote:
    Either way, there is an "Audio/Video Editing", and a "Film Production" forum - wouldn't this topic belong in one of those before here?
    He said he put it in AH to get more opinions on it.

besty wrote:
    He said he put it in AH to get more opinions on it.
    I know - but aren't there specific rules? Or do they not apply to mods? That's all I'm saying.

What if I want my "Personal Issue" topic to get more hits - can I put it in After Hours too? Or what about my Football Thread? Where do you draw the line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

He posted in After Hours what did he expect? An Oscar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Hello all, I'm in work at the moment, so can't really reply to everyone. But I will do when I get home tonight. Hobbes, is right, I posted it here to get the hard reviews/abuse that come along with after hours. It's easy for family and friends to watch the video and say it's good/great, but I wanted to opinions of "Normal" (I use that phrase lightly) people.

I did say that if the mods wanted to move it, feel free, but the reason I put it here is to get more comments.

I will reply more when I get home :)

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,018 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The OP.. shut the hell up, you knob!

Lump... really enjoyed it. Any more productions planned in the future?

basquille wrote:
    The OP.. shut the hell up, you knob!

Was that necessary, just because I didn't like it? He put it here for the (in his own words) "hard reviews/abuse", and I'm a knob for giving a hard review? How does that work?

Fajitas!: Thanks for your comments; I’m glad you enjoyed it, and thank you for the comment about my editing, much appreciated.

The OP: I agree that some parts of it are boring, but most of the slower scenes, are setting the scene and laying out the story and situation. I don’t understand why you are saying it’s pretentious. But you’re entitled to your opinion! You claim that it’s the wrong forum, I didn’t want to put it on the Film Production, or editing boards, as that’s where a lot of professionals and people who make their own films post, I wanted to open it up for everyone. You say that the story was bad to start with, which, to be fair to you, I thought the same when I read the script the first time. I wasn’t entirely sure what was happening until I finished the edit, and in places I’m still a little confused!

Fade to grey: Sorry that you didn’t enjoy it, any particular reason why? It’s rather hard to comment on such a short review. Saying that, sometimes people just don’t like a film, so it’s understood. Thank you for your comments about the editing!

Biko: It’s weird that the video froze up; it seems to have worked for everyone else! If you can be bothered to download, you should be able to see the remainder! But if you’re not bothered, fair enough!

Seb The Bum: Glad you enjoyed the editing. You’ve hit on an interesting point, originally, the film/script was supposed to be a semi-comedy, but when we got to the edit, we found that the Actor (David Bowles) didn’t carry off the humour side of it, so we removed as much as possible, but the remnants are still there. I can’t really comment, as it was the director’s call.

Endurance Man: It’s a pity that you turned it off half way though, that’s not a good sign!

rb_ie: Thanks for your words of support, I hope you enjoy the whole thing when/if you watch the rest of it!

La Cucaracha: I agree that the work could have done with a bit more work. But, and I’m not making excuses, we were given 2.5 months to complete the film from start to finish. The majority of that time was spent writing the script, and in pre-production. We shot over about a month, and the majority of the Music was composed/recorded over about 3 weeks. The entire film was edited over 11 days. That included the entire scene being post synced. I’m glad that you enjoyed it overall!

Hobbes: I didn’t expect Oscars, as I said in my previous post; I posted here to get real feedback.

Basquille: Thank you for the positive feedback, glad you liked it. I’m working full time now, and I’ve nothing planned for the future. I might upload some of my other college work, there’s a music video on the same Google page that I edited when I was in college. I did it on top of my own Minor project.

To sum up, I worked on the film as a college project. I did the Editing primarily, but I also lit pretty much the entire film. All of the interiors were lit by me, and the Castle/hanging scene was lit by me, all of which were shot over night, not day for night.

The film received a First. I got a 2.1 as my final degree and the Director got a 1.1. My essay writing let me down. I’m now working towards becoming an Editor, and the Director is working in Leeds directing commercials/safety videos/adverts/DVD’s.

All in all, the project did what we aimed to do, get us, and the rest of the crew a decent degree. I’m happy with the end result, we rushed it a bit at the end, as it’s terrible to hand in a piece of work late, so we rushed the ending, the idea was to re-edit it. When I got my job in London, those plans got knocked on the head.

Again, thank you all for your comments, I’m going to PM the mod’s to move this to Audio Visual Editing, as most of the people who post there, don’t post here, and I don’t want to double post.

That’s all!

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

basquille you should know better. Behave.

The OP. A hard review is fine, repeating it over and over again is going to just get people's backs up and antagonise them. Try to avoid that if you can, no point in upsetting people tbh. As for drawing the line, that's our job and please don't comment in threads complaining. Report the post and leave it at that.

Cheers.

Oh and thread moved.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that chappa.

John

Lump wrote:
    Thanks for that chappa.

John
    Well, if you lit it as well John, spot on job too. Credit where it's due...

When I saw you had replied, I had my finger on the ban button. But cheers mate, I accept your comments, I'm glad you like the lighting aswell :)

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

(c) 2004 - any other projects finished?

Just watched it and I have to say I found it quite good. Being a musician myself I felt it could have been a bit stronger in some places and less prominent in others.

Liked the story too.

The evil guys weren´t really coming across as being evil - something they have to work on to evoke a response (imho).

But on a whole I am really impressed. Have my own little home recording studio and would like to offer my services for doing the music for your next project (free of charge as I always wanted to do this). Check me out on www.tj-music.com, www.interviewsmittj.blogspot.com, www.farbenwaldenglish.blogspot.com and drop me an email if you are interested.

I would also be interested in getting a music video done if it is not too dear. Just email me!

I'm working full time now.... for the man, so to speak. So I'm not making any more of my own stuff, at the moment at least ;)

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

Justed watched 10 mins of it as I'm only interested in it from a filmmaking point of view. Excellent job -Have noted some of your techiques and will probably copy them:D .

Advertisement