Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to query XML files from sql server

Options
  • 16-03-2006 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

I have to query some data produced by an application (no source code) that stores half its data in a sql server databse and plonks the rest into an xml file.

There is no xml schema file for the xml. I have to guess it from sample files.

There is a sql xml bulk load utility that can upload an xml file into sql server but there seems to be an 8000 character limit on the size of a variable I can run an Xpath query against. The xml file is over 100,000 chars.

How am I going to do this?

I fucking hate xml.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭akari no ryu

Zaph0d wrote:
    There is a sql xml bulk load utility that can upload an xml file into sql server but there seems to be an 8000 character limit on the size of a variable I can run an Xpath query against. The xml file is over 100,000 chars.

How am I going to do this?
    This may be easier if we could get the schema for the table and a sample from the xml
    If you're using something like PERL, PHP, JAVA or any other half decent language, you'll have the ability to access the xml as a dom tree. That will probably make your life easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭theexis

You should be able to do this if you shred the XML in SQL, uploading it via a TEXT / NTEXT sproc variable. Take a look at sp_xml_preparedocument and OPENXML.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The way I would do this is simply download VB 2005 express, open the xml file into a dataset (has the ability to infer the schema) and assign to a datagrid on windows form. Now I can see the structure of the xml file and write my code to loop through each datarow in the dataset and do what I wish with it.

Advertisement