Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the deal with Sports Campus Ireland?

Options
  • 16-03-2006 4:52am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was reminded of this after spotting its mention on the "The Buck Stops Here" FG/Lab document; apparently the government have wasted €99.5 Million on it..

So what's the deal with it?
    If I'm not mistaken this was originally planned to be the new national stadium, but after the PD's rejected it and a Landsdown re-development plan got more support it was decided that they would look for private developers rather than Gov Funded (which was seen as a way for bertie to pretend that he was getting his way when he wasn't)
    Looking on their website I see information about work starting in early this year after some government money was thrown in their direction; so what's going on with it? Is it still going to be a big stadium (Bertie Bowl) or is just going to be a more impressive version of Santry Stadium??
    Wasn't the bertie bowl going to be 70,000 seater or something? I can't see much logic in going ahead with this considering the fact that it would mean 3 high capacity stadia in the one city... unless they're going to go for the European Championships again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its like anything with Laura Magahy (google her)

Temple Bar Cultural Quarter = pubs
    National stadium = "[€100m]... And all that for a 50-metre swimming pool and a few water slides"
    Mater Hospital = lets think about that again
    Digital Hub = dead

Advertisement