Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private AP(s) in Carlow IT

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭s4dd

havn't really looked into numbers, but this isn't a charity so the final cost will have to be incured by the users.

the alternative is getting a wired link and sharing access via wireless means... i think i'd like to have a chat with kelvin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Wired link shared over wireless link, is definitely the way to go, imho. I've looked into such things and its roughly about a quarter of the price for wired over wireless, excluding inital cost of setting things up.

Plus you are talking much greater speeds/quality from a wired link.
    As for then converting to wireless, I've read umpteen guides online about how to convert MMDS aerials (Horizon/Irish Multichannel/Chrous and ilk) to 802.11b/g compatible antenna. Its not easy, but for you Paul, I'd imagine a few hours on Sunday would be all thats required.

But the fact is, if you were to go this route, why stop there? Anyone ever/not heard of www.irishwan.org ? Something to consider.

P.s. Where's me jumpa, try to be a bit more constructive, please. There is no need to start poking holes in what is essentially just brainstorming. That comes later :D

Aye, i have heard of irishwan indeedsicle.. not what i had in mind (as this whole idea was based on Internet access) but as another project, who knows :)

So what do you guys think would be the right way to go with respsect to a wired solution to distribute over wireless? for access to the Internet obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

right guys heres the story, if your gona get people to pay for this service your gona have to make sure you only sell it to a limited ammount of people, what happens if you have 10 people running of 1 connection and it takes 10 mins to load a web page, people wont be happy ie. i paid money for this thing and its not even worth it etc etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

that reminds me, didnt IBB enter Carlow in the last few months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Ivan wrote:

P.s. Where's me jumpa, try to be a bit more constructive, please. There is no need to start poking holes in what is essentially just brainstorming. That comes later :D

I clearly stated I wasnt knit picking. I didnt ask anything that doesnt need to be considered.

Psycopat wrote:
    what happens if you have 10 people running of 1 connection and it takes 10 mins to load a web page, people wont be happy ie. i paid money for this thing and its not even worth it etc etc....

if i was involved in anything resembling the above, there isn't a chance in hell that any user would be getting such crappy speeds. specially if money is involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

this strikes me as something resembling the independant college mag idea.
    As in lots of talk which will lead to nothing

aye, that wasn't my project.. neither is this though :) did anything actually get done about that? i recall the last word was a certain someone going to ask questions and meet with some people...

i mean, it wasn't even my project and i had a couple of meetings with the SU prez and set up a template website and then all interest disappeared.. nothing worse in my mind than people having ideas and then getting lazy and fudging off when a bit of hard work and committment is called for.

anyways, off topic. if he don't have anything constructive/destructive to add... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Interesting legal grey area tbh.
    Since it would be a private network within the college, how can they control it?

Its the college network which provides you with internet access,and the college network which filters internet traffic.

As far as I can see, if its a private network being access from within the college ( akin to VPNing into another network tbh.. ) then you just have to abide by the rules of the AUP of the network you are connecting to.

In short, I cant see any problem with this, apart from permission to initially setup the network / AP

• Advertisement
Advertisement