Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oral Exams...HELP!

Options
  • 16-03-2006 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Wow! Just checked this out http://www.swotstop.ie No end of help for the bla dee bla orals. :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tackledg

ya have 2 choices a shot of vodka den v strong chewing gum or the amazing rescue remedy it works wonders jus not too much ya dont wanna fall asleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 denito

Yeah as if I didn't have enough to worry about with mixing up my French and my Irish. Now I've got to pretend I'm sober as well.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

my oral irish is in 4 weeks. i don.t know any of really bad at irish. doinh ordinary irish. my teachers wants me to do foundation level bu ti don,t want to. what should i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

cena wrote:
    my oral irish is in 4 weeks. i don.t know any of really bad at irish. doinh ordinary irish. my teachers wants me to do foundation level bu ti don,t want to. what should i do.

Well I think you need to develop some sort of fluency with English first before you go near any other language....

Know how you feel Cena. Strugglin with honours myself. I reckon get the basics right; my name, family etc and pick up enough to pass hopefully. Then with the sliocht if you manage to read that hopefully there's another few marks. That's why I found that website helpful. They've all the sliocht for you to listen to beforehand and practise and then parrot it off on the day. Other than that, I wish I could say I paid more attention at Irish college but hey I was too busy doin other things. Good luck!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

I'm doing pass Irish. I did pass Irish last year too and the oral was pretty easy.

make sure you know how to answer questions on the past present and future. just be smart about it like learn off answers that you could pretty much use for any question in case they bring up a difficult subject that you don't know much about.

make sure you know the basics like age, family, what you want to do in college next year and most importantly know how to say your dob in Irish.

keep practise reading the sliochts too it really helps if you write down how to pronounce difficult words on the sheet.

I'm dreading my german one...since it's higher level

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Dont worry too much... Its not that bad really! Keep in mind that the examiner is actually human too and is there to try and give you the most amount of marks possible! All you have to do is gain them.
    • Learn your name and exam number 'as Gaeilge'
    • Learn to read the sliochts, remember you can bring them in with you so write down any words that you have difficulty pronouncing. Go over these with your teacher. Keep practising these as they are a really handy way to gain marks!
    • Learn the basics about your school, your family etc.
    • Learn how to say what you plan to do in college next year [or if your gonna go work/travel or whatever your plans are], and how your finding the leaving cert.
    • Learn your pastimes and hobbies... try and make them interesting... have a whole set of answers prepared for possible questions.... like for exa,ple if you say that you like swimming the examiner could ask where abouts, how often? is there a pool nearby [that then may lead to a question about facilities in your town, things to do for young people..]
    • Be able to say something about a particular topical issue, whatevers in the news that you have an interest/opinion on....
    Remember that you control this converstion... it is only a conversation afterall although it doesnt seem like it now... You steer what the examiner asks you as they expect anything you mention you have something prepared on it.

the examiner is your friend... listen carefully to what they are sayin and if you dont understand say 'gabh mo leisceál, ní thuigim' or 'nior chuala me thu'

Oh and lastly remember to answer in the correct tense...go through past present and future tenses and be able to tell the difference between them.

Best of luck.... and trust me its not that bad...I survived it and I'm the biggest bag of nerves ever!
    :)

Here are a couple of fillers I came across to get through those ah awkward moments!:eek:

I mo thuarim: In my opinion

Mar a dúirt mé cheanna: As I said already

Bhuell: (You guessed it) Well

Faríor: Unfortunately

Dáirire: really

Sin cheist mhaith: That's a good question

pe scéal é: whatever

chreidim: I believe

Tommorow's D-Day for me in Irish....aaagh best of luck ya'all:D

Advertisement