Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vb6 array textbox help

Options
  • 16-03-2006 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

hi lads

can anybody help me please with a problem i am trying to figure out for awhile now. ok first of all i am using vb6, i have an array of command buttons like so:

command1(0) command1(1) command1(2) command1(3)
    command1(4) command1(5) command1(6) command1(7)
    command1(8) command1(9) command1(10) command1(11)

when i click on command1() i want button_pressed =1 ......command1(11) button_pressed =12, i then need these values to be put into a textbox as an array of charachers corresponding to the command buttons that were pressed, so if i clicked all of the 12 commands one after the other, the textbox would display 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12, and the final aim for me is to send this down to the serial port.

I have tried many times to get this to work, can anybody help me with my code??

Dim button_number as integer

Private Sub Command1_Click(Index As Integer)
    Select Case Index
    Case 0
    button_number = 1
    Case 11
    button_number = 12
    End Select
    End Sub

This next bit is where i am having the most trouble

Text1.Text = Val(Command1.Count)

so if i click all of the buttons the text box will display them one after the other rather than over-write

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

MSCOMM1.Output = "B" & Text1.Text 'The letter B is sent and is always first as it is being used as a start bit

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Phileas Fogg

try

Text1.Text = Text1.Text & " " & cstr(Index)

end sub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭charlo_b

Text1.Text = Text1.Text & " " & cstr([B]Index + 1[/B])

end sub

'Event for sending data to the serial port
    Private Sub cmdSend_Click()               

MSCOMM1.Settings = "9600,n,8,1"         'Making an assumption here
        MSCOMM1.CommPort = 1                             'Another assumption
        MSCOMM1.PortOpen = True
        MSCOMM1.Output = "B" & Text1.Text
        MSCOMM1.PortOpen = False

End Sub

What if they are pressed in random order......do they have to be sent sorted?
    Also why not use the standard convention of <stx>data<etx> when sending the data down the serial line? <stx> = chr(2) <etx> = chr(3)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭katiepwr

thank you for your help

i have never used

<stx>data<etx> is it easy to use?

i think i would need to send them out in order because i need to write a c code array to pick up the values on the other end.

Can i just ask one more question with regards my command button program. All together i will have 16 command buttons which is a 4 by 4 matrix.
    i will call the command buttons (0,0) (0,1)......etc

i have 4 available options, say the options are 1 2 3 & 4

when I click on a command button say (0 0 ) i get a prompt asking which option to choose, i pick option 2

i then need option 2 to be read into the first command button which is (0 0)

Each of my buttons must have an option assigned to it.

I have this working with my options and buttons, but what i need help doing is outputs this to the serial??

My idea (although it may not be the best) is to have a text box of lenght 16, and when i click on a command button and option, the option number knows where to go in the text box.

I am sorry for being so vague but i am finding it hard to explain

i know that i can use a flexgrid but how will i compile a flexgrid to a form that the serial will understand and then can be picked up by a c program

If anybody has any suggests i would be very gratefull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

katiepwr wrote:
    thank you for your help

i have never used

<stx>data<etx> is it easy to use?

i think i would need to send them out in order because i need to write a c code array to pick up the values on the other end.

Can i just ask one more question with regards my command button program. All together i will have 16 command buttons which is a 4 by 4 matrix.
    i will call the command buttons (0,0) (0,1)......etc

i have 4 available options, say the options are 1 2 3 & 4

when I click on a command button say (0 0 ) i get a prompt asking which option to choose, i pick option 2

i then need option 2 to be read into the first command button which is (0 0)

Each of my buttons must have an option assigned to it.

I have this working with my options and buttons, but what i need help doing is outputs this to the serial??

My idea (although it may not be the best) is to have a text box of lenght 16, and when i click on a command button and option, the option number knows where to go in the text box.

I am sorry for being so vague but i am finding it hard to explain

i know that i can use a flexgrid but how will i compile a flexgrid to a form that the serial will understand and then can be picked up by a c program

If anybody has any suggests i would be very gratefull

Send your output into an xml file, which can be read by any language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭charlo_b

Your going to have to be less vague.
    I don't really understand what is required.

The requirements also seem to have changed from the original post!

• Advertisement
Advertisement