Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corrupt Word file recovery.

• 16-03-2006 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Can anybody recommend a decent free download that I can use to recover corrupt Word files? I haven't been able to find any on the web that I don't have to pay for.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

OpenOffice. Also fairly good with Corrupt Excel docs.

start
    run
    %TEMP%
    see if any of the things there are similar size / date to the corrupt doc and make a copy of them if all else fails (worked better with older versions)

Use restoration / rest2514 to try to undelete an earlier copy (straw + clutch)

RANT
    20 years ago ALL word processors made backup copies of documents by default. Check in Word - Tools - Options - Save. if the option for always make backup copy is ticked then go looking for [documentname].WBK file. If the option is not ticked then Blame microsoft for loosing your doument and carry that chip on your shoulder , any computer that runs word probably has room for thousands of docs so WTF is it there for ???. Sorry I mean tick the box. Turn off fast save as that just saves typing not necessialrly in the same order the document appears on screen, or in english it makes your document a little more likely to be gibberish when recovered. And Word does NOT autosave (again a feature found on all decent word processors in the 1980's) it only saves "auto recovery" info which is not as reliable as a full save. Use Ctrl-S instead (back in the 1980's this was a single keypress - F2 )

For Excel you have to turn on the always make backup copy on a per file basis.

/RANT I just have lost too much time on word and excel docs being lost because microsoft still haven't implimented features that were industry standard back in the 80's :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Word 2000/2003 features and automatic repair facility - have you tried that?

Go into Word, go to File -> Open. Select the file, and instead of hitting return or Open, click the little drop-down arrow beside the open button, and select "Open and Repair". I'd say it works about 75% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PeterGriffen

I downloaded Openoffice and tried to open the file using Openoffice Writer, but the program hung. Then I tried using "Open and repair" and it gave me an error message saying "Word experienced and error trying to open the file.". Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

Advertisement