Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's the transfer from UTV going?

• 16-03-2006 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

Just wondering. My transfer has not gone through yet after about a month.

What are your experiences?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Desperate !

6 Weeks so far. The form was supposedly lost, then found, then lost. Then 2 weeks ago UTV threatened not to release until I returned the modem. After pointing out that they had got it back they said the line would be released in 48 hrs. No gin last week so I emailed BTs complaints crowd who responded to my email by getting my name wrong and said I'd have news within 7 days. No news 9 days later but in a call yesterday the old eircom excuse was hauled out....

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Wickerman1

I'm with UTV Talk for calls, (no Broadband). I am waiting a month so far for Broadband and line rental from ESat.
    Their customer services are useless. The same old Eircom excuse everytime I ring up, but sometimes they just lie by saying that I should receive the router in the next day to two.
    Really poor service, but the cheapest if your not on a smart Telecom exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Went home for lunch and there was a bill from BT. Odd as I'm not connected to them yet! I didn't ask for a paper bill either. Jazus is this the start of something I'm going to regret. Rang BT and they said I had been setup but UTV still works and BT username and password doesn't. UTV told me two weels ago I would be switched over in 48 hours.

Ah well....here goes. I'll be on the phone for a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Valentia wrote:
    Went home for lunch and there was a bill from BT. Odd as I'm not connected to them yet! I didn't ask for a paper bill either. Jazus is this the start of something I'm going to regret. Rang BT and they said I had been setup but UTV still works and BT username and password doesn't. UTV told me two weels ago I would be switched over in 48 hours.

Ah well....here goes. I'll be on the phone for a few hours.
    Not being smart here but are you entering the BT username correctly?
    You need to put "@btbb" or "@iolbb" at the end of it so it looks like [EMAIL="xxxxxxx@btbb"]xxxxxxx@btbb[/EMAIL] or [EMAIL="xxxxxxx@iolbb"]xxxxxxx@iolbb[/EMAIL]
    I got caught out by this :o

Thanks. I'll try that when I get home. Is it possible to still have the UTV account active after BT has been set up?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yes. Most of them consider the account and the actual service completely separate, whether you're still contracted or not. It's the Oirish Way.

Valentia wrote:
    Thanks. I'll try that when I get home. Is it possible to still have the UTV account active after BT has been set up?
    My UTV log in worked for about 2 weeks after transfer.

Up and running. Thanks Kaizersoze.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Valentia wrote:

www.internetfrog.com is a handy site for finding out who you are actually connected to.

Did UTV make any efforts to hold on to you after all these years of being with them?

Did UTV make any efforts to hold on to you after all these years of being with them?

Nope :mad:

• Advertisement

Valentia wrote:
    You're welcome:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I sent my BT app off on 22 Feb, and rang them a week later. They said everything was OK with the order, and it would take about two weeks. It's currently "with Eircom", so I'm told.

The UTV modem went back yesterday - registered, just to be sure. I never used it anyway. Funny thing - I asked UTV if I could keep the microfilters they supplied, and they said no. I asked if I could buy them, and they said yes - for 10 yo-yos each! How could I refuse such a generous offer? Very easily, actually ......:rolleyes:

tomk wrote:
    I sent my BT app off on 22 Feb, and rang them a week later. They said everything was OK with the order, and it would take about two weeks. It's currently "with Eircom", so I'm told.

The UTV modem went back yesterday - registered, just to be sure. I never used it anyway. Funny thing - I asked UTV if I could keep the microfilters they supplied, and they said no. I asked if I could buy them, and they said yes - for 10 yo-yos each! How could I refuse such a generous offer? Very easily, actually ......:rolleyes:

Agh good to see the 'cute hoorism' lives on. Does anything sum up UTV better than this example :rolleyes: - do they not realise that this is the type of attitude that will stop people going back to them in the future no matter what sort of attractive offers they might have?

I have a BT logon but it certainly didn't work when I tried it yesterday (got my hopes up for a while that I was finally gone from those langers).

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

It took 8 weeks for me to transfer from UTV to BT, for 4 weeks of that I had no DSL at all and was back on dial up, I had all the excuses under the sun from BT during the 2 months and got a headache explaining the situation to them every time. Now I have the line and BB transfered and have recieved a bill for the month that I had no BB, I also got billed for self install even though I have My own wireless modem and didn't recieve a modem from them. The latest problem I have is I can't make calls on the land line but can recieve them ok..:confused:

They said they will credit My account for the billing error and refund the self install, It will take 2 months before I will see the next bill so I hope the credit will be on there when I do get billed next time..

Changing providers should not be so stressful...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Dubsmax, see the "BT Dossier" thread in this forum if you haven't already.

My BT login worked this evening. Surprisingly when I checked my UTV bill they didn't charge me for March for BB but did for line rental up to end of month...

parsi wrote:
    My BT login worked this evening. Surprisingly when I checked my UTV bill they didn't charge me for March for BB but did for line rental up to end of month...

Yes when I was leaving them they charged me an extra months line rental and in spite of me spotting this and bringing it to their attention and specially withdrawing permission from them to debit my account they went ahead and debited me - I had incredible trouble getting a refund from them - their lackadaisical attitude to getting back to me and arranging a refund was incredible and made me determined never to go back to them no matter what product they might offer in the future. I think it cost me more in phone calls to get the money back than the actual amount of the line rental:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=169580&page=2&highlight=bitstream+port+transfer

If I have managed to copy and paste that right it should be the first post on that page , just my experience , maybe it's all changed since then

I'm now online with BT, 4 weeks to the day after sending in the application. I rang this morning for my weekly status check, and they said the BB was done. The guy was surprised to hear that I was still online with UTV! I'd already set up the BT connection profile on my router, so I shut down Clicksilver, changed profile, and started up BT. I was offilne for a total of 5 minutes, but most of that was just double-checking the details. Smooth, I'd call it - and hopefully a good omen, although I'm not under any illusions about their billing practices.

• Advertisement

tomk wrote:
    I'm now online with BT, 4 weeks to the day after sending in the application. I rang this morning for my weekly status check, and they said the BB was done. The guy was surprised to hear that I was still online with UTV! I'd already set up the BT connection profile on my router, so I shut down Clicksilver, changed profile, and started up BT. I was offilne for a total of 5 minutes, but most of that was just double-checking the details. Smooth, I'd call it - and hopefully a good omen,

although I'm not under any illusions about their billing practices.

Its some reflection on UTV that people are willing to brave Esat and their billing rather than continue with them!

One of the things that browns me off is that BT have not actually informed me that I'm now their customer. I got my password from them weeks ago and it is only by attempting to logon that I have seen if its active or not.

It's not the best customer service tbh.

parsi wrote:
    One of the things that browns me off is that BT have not actually informed me that I'm now their customer. I got my password from them weeks ago and it is only by attempting to logon that I have seen if its active or not.

It's not the best customer service tbh.

Surely you cannot be surprised at that given all the postings about them on here?

I'm not surprised. But that doesn't make it unremarkable. When we stop commenting on their failures (and UTVs) then we start accepting them as par for the course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,243 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Applied to leave UTV Feb 2nd.
    With Carl's help, got DSL taken off the line on Feb 9th (to hurry things along)

Feb 17th - Re-signed to Eircom

March 4th - allegedly up and running with Smart....have modem etc.

Oh the fairytale that is Ireland....what actually happened is:

March 2nd - Eircom cut phone off ('we haven't cut you off Madam, we've disconnected you')

March 6th - fault logged with Smart, since Eircom say I'm no longer their customer.

March 16th - Smart technician calls and confirms fault is in Eircom exchange (yes....Eircom failed to properly transfer me to their competitor...surprise)

March 24th - phone still dead as doornail - no phone, no broadband, but lovely big Eircom bill for the ten days I went back to them (80 euro). No apology from anyone.

March 24th - emailed Dr. Phil at eircom to see can he do anything.

It's a nightmare, and what really sickens me is I know if I rang those Eircom wasters and said I wanted BB with them, I'd be fully operational by noon today. I am hanging on for Smart, despite Eircom's best efforts to stymie it all.

@Tomk and Valentia - did ye transfer the telephony service as well ? If so did ye get confirmation ? I notice that UK inbound calls are being presented without the 0044 over the last few days but UTV say I'm still with them for calls (but the support guy I was talkingto told me previously that I was transferred and thats why I couldn't connect the last time Chruchfield went down so I don't really believe him..).

Also for the first time in months got two survey calls today...

I got the whole package - BB, line rental, and Talk Plus. I got verbal confirmation so far - nothing in writing. BT tell me I'll get a final bill from Eircon for line rental, before the changeover.

For calls, I'm on UTV's original CPS service, not UTV Talk or whatever it's called, so they'll migrate the calls when the line rental is in place.

Dont know. I'll check it out.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

Could anyone tell me what happened to their call billing if their situation is similar to mine?

I let BT know I was going ahead with order on Jan 30th, gave UTV 30 days notice a day before. I thought 4 weeks was plenty of time. Only sorted out by BT at end of March. Thus I have no idea who will bill me for those few weeks calls. I asked both a few weeks ago but got no solid answer, both saying the other company would sort it.

Advertisement