Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 2003 Server

• 16-03-2006 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi There, I am just having a bit of an issue with our Windows 2003 servers.

I got two servers setup called ServerA and ServerB they both have 4 network cards installed on it identical servers OS and hardware.

2 network cards on each server is teamed up to act as a fault tolerant for each of the server the team are assigned static IP address Wins, DNS etc, and the remaining two are disabled.
    Now the problem I am having is the network latency when I try to copy files from a network share to a ServerA it copy's very quickly in this instance say about 150MB file takes up to 1.5 to 2 min.
    But when I try the same thing with ServerB it says 200 min to copy the files and it's very slow now I am check every single setting on network such Full/Half duplex try pinging it to see the replies delay and no use it shows nothing everything seems to in order, I am just a bit lost not sure what’s going on there, I’ll be glad if someone has any input all this...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Silly question, but I assume you're copying over the exact same file(s) in the test? A 200MB file will copy across much quicker than 20 x 2MB files.

The only other things I can think of are
    1. The card(s) on Server B are running at 10Mbps instead of 100Mbps (or 100Mbps instead of 1Gbps)
    2. Or as a corollary, there's a bottleneck (e.g. an old 10Mbps router) somewhere in the link between the share and Server B, which doesn't exist in the link between the share and Server A.
    3. The disks on server B are substantially slower/fragmented then server A, though this is a longshot.
    4. Server B is substantially less powerful than Server A.

Going by the figures you've quoted above (i.e. the differences are in the magnitude of 100's), then scenarios 1 or 2 seem most likely to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

No real imput im afraid some random thoughts tho.

Personally I would first check the drivers you are using for each server / network card. Make sure they are all the same if possible.

Then try breaking the team and remaking it.

Google the network cards with teaming as well as the drivers with teaming you might find something..

I would also check the manufactors website and see if anything comes up

Again just random thoughts, post your cards, drivers, and server info if you cant fix it and Ill have a look about for you.

GL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Change all the cables too and see if you see any effect. Worth checking the basics

• Registered Users Posts: 29 helix26

Hiya, Thanks for all your support and responses here lads, after going through all settings on network cards, drivers and changing ports on switches etc etc, i went to basics and swap cables between the servers and it worked :)
    There were two Cat V cables plugged in to each server (A & B) i swapped them around and bingo..that sort me out...
    thanks once again...
    AF

Advertisement