Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you lock Access files?

• 16-03-2006 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

Can you lock microsoft access files so that only you can edit them? but others can view it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Tools -> security ->
    -> User and Group Permissions :: I would have thought?

Would it not be better to create a presentation-only layer for them i.e. ASP page,etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

i'll try that and see.

Does the program know what computer made the file ? and set the promission?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Explain what you're trying to achieve.

well i have a master file with all our company's dealers listed with names/address/phone number/ etc all there account info.. No this file will be placed on the company server for all the workers to view.. but we dont want anyone changing any info on it apart from me the person that made the file.

anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Do they just need to view the data???

You can do a number of things.

1. Use Excel just to display the data. They can manipulate to their hearts content without messing your data

2. Use an ASP page to display the data. Requires a bit more work.

3. Use the forms within Access to show the data.

4. Use the Tools Security idea and create a user and admin level user. You can specify different levels.

HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

If its a windows file share simply login to the server and set the appropriate ntfs file permissions for the file or another way would be to disable write access via the share permissions completely.

The problem there would be the LDB file as it has to be created for access to function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

I agree with Ginger
    Save the data in an other format, such as comma delimited
    Use ntfs or network permissions
    Access can use and modify external file formats

To be honest your best bet is the Excel file because then you can uninstall access from the other machines and they definately cant open it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement