Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antes up on Tuburty today

Options
  • 16-03-2006 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Anyone hear this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

i had meant to get up for this but sleep took priority, i think some of those shows are repeated on saturdays e.g. gerry ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Well done lads good interview. Just heard Shortstack on PokerNews on PokerZone, looks like Boards.ie is taking over the Poker world. :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its what Boards does... :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

yeah good interview lads well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FullOf..IT

Yeah gud interview from Ollie!!

Go to 51min 12secs on this and listen to what a "lecturer" from cork I.T. says, only consolation is that hes in cork so ppl are gonna know hes talking boll.. boy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

It took me ages to download Real-Player so that I could listen to it.

A very good interview. Tom and Ollie were entertaining, witty, and shock / horror "sensible". It was a good bull**** session between the three of them.

Very enjoyable. Plenty of laughs.

Ollie just said he hates horses. How could he! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

anyway of listening to this without downloading real player?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'd like to hear more (or find contact details) for this lecturer in Cork, I'd like to see any scientific backup he has for his claims because either he has some (in which case I'm VERY interested) or he's talking out his arse, in which case I'm interested in exposing him as a fraud.

DeV.

I've got contact details for him now, I'm gonna contact him and see where this goes... :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Detective Dev is back...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

He won't be able to provide any scientific backup. For example what are the odds that with a flop of 89A two clubs that one player will have 88 in the hole and another will have J10clubs? If you cannot provide the probablities of all the coincidences of flop hitting hands then you cannot provide irrefutable evidence that the cards are not random.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ye, listened to it on the way to work the other day.

looking to find out more about this poker thing

DeVore wrote:
    I'd like to hear more (or find contact details) for this lecturer in Cork, I'd like to see any scientific backup he has for his claims because either he has some (in which case I'm VERY interested) or he's talking out his arse, in which case I'm interested in exposing him as a fraud.

DeV.

His claim that online sites give everyone good hands so that they will bet like mad, and as a result increase the rake was ... really convincing.

He must be right, he's a lecturer. Possibly a lecturer in art history, chemistry, modern languages.

No stats given, none required ... really convincing.

Sorry, must sign off, my sarcasm meter has just exploded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

kincsem wrote:
    His claim that online sites give everyone good hands so that they will bet like mad, and as a result increase the rake was ... really convincing.

He must be right, he's a lecturer. Possibly a lecturer in art history, chemistry, modern languages.

No stats given, none required ... really convincing.

Sorry, must sign off, my sarcasm meter has just exploded.
    Computing, I thinkk
    http://www.newmediarepublic.com/colin/

Yeah I found that today JD, I sent him a polite mail asking him if he has any evidence for his postulation. I'm perfectly willing to give him a fair hearing and publish anything he has gathered on Antesup.com.

On the other hand if he's simply a disaffected player who is "sure it must be rigged" I'd like to see if theres any way to highlight that he's NOT speaking as a lecturer with data to back his point up.

Theres only one man I know of who is intent on getting to the bottom of the online-rigging debate with scientific data and methods. And when he speaks I'll be listening intently.

DeV.

His reply, and I can't believe national radio read his opinion out as being from a lecturer with all the intellectualism that implied.

The short answer to your question is no. I haven't any proper analysis done that you could go public with. At least not without getting sued. Although I think might do some work, because it's an interesting topic. My comments were based on my experience of one site. I don't know that there are many or indeed any others.

I know that for this site one of my students held the view that players routinely got 'raped' (his term). He didn't seem to mind since he figured as long as you know it's not the same as playing in real life, it's OK. He uses diffrent strategies when playing online and when playing in real life. I sat with him for half an hour and what I saw led me to form the conclusion I did. He even deliberately lost money on purpose, just to show me the other player's cards. But to be certain you would have to sit down and log all of the cards that come up. It would take a long time because, to be sure, you could only rely on the cards you are dealt.

From what I hear, quite a lot of people share this student's view.

DeV.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I am swayed by his lengthy and persuasive arguments of watching online poker for 30 mins and believing one probably losing player.

Jopke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I have to say, thats the funniest thing I've read in ages.

Did you reply Tom?

You should get that publish for a laugh and see were it takes his career.

DeVore wrote:
    I haven't any proper analysis done that you could go public with..

But didnt he do this when he had his statement read on national radio?

How can someone with "all the intellectualism" be so irresponsible and reckless with his own unverified view on something that he hasnt even bother researching? Its ok giving an opinion but using your job title to strenghen your arguement is just reckless imo.

Surely he knew that his opinion would carry alot of weight with people unfamilar with online poker?

What an arsehole.

Retribution justified i think...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

FullOf..IT wrote:
    But didnt he do this when he had his statement read on national radio?

It wasn't the above that was read on on radio (unless I missed a step), it was simply his assertion that it was rigged to increase rake for sites.

The above is simply a reply to Tom's enquiry as to why he is so adamant that it is rigged which has only been aired here.

Yeah your right that wasnt read on air (If he had i would not mind) but my point is that he said that he was a lecturer in cork it and that online poker was rigged to increase the houses profits. If he had of being an ordinary joe soap voicing his opinion that he thought it was rigged i would have no problem. What has me steaming is the fact that he siad it WAS rigged and that he is a lecturer in a 3rd level institution.

5starpool wrote:
    It wasn't the above that was read on on radio (unless I missed a step), it was simply his assertion that it was rigged to increase rake for sites.

The above is simply a reply to Tom's enquiry as to why he is so adamant that it is rigged which has only been aired here.
    Correct.

DeV.

Well, you are all so smart. He is a lecturer and he has researched this extensively by looking over someone's shoulder for a few minutes.

What more do you want?

I still find him .... really convincing. :rolleyes:

If the guy had any class he would contact Tubridy and say it was an opinion not based on any research. He should say that on air. Does he play poker? He should say.
    Tubridy should replay his comments and then the lecturer should give his research results or say it was an opinion based on no research.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

He was a guy who rang the Turbidy radio show
    +
    He lectures at the remedial level cow college CIT

I'm not sure this guy's career can be ruined anymore than it already is :D

Seriously though what a complete tool, it's because of utter morons like this who haven't got a notion what they are talking about that genuine issues cannot be intelligently discussed out of sheer embarrassment of association.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 colinmanning

A lot of time has passed. Did anybody do any research since and find out one way or another?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

A lot of time has passed. Did anybody do any research since and find out one way or another?

People have databases with billions of hands and have found no statistical anomalies.
    Other people have played a couple of hundred hands and are convinced its rigged because they lost a few 80/20s.

So no basically, nothing proved either way and still open to debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 colinmanning

I suppose it's possible too that sites have cleaned up their acts over the years. If it was a profitable scam, there may have only been a short period during which it was possible to pull it off and not get caught.

Advertisement