Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 Format Disc - Help!

• 16-03-2006 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi all

Recently bought some PS2 games for my nephew while in Thailand. When he tried to load them, "insert format disc" came up...This happend on all 6 games.

I realise the games are obviously copies but I was told that they would work in the UK & Ireland.

Is there such a thing as a 'format disc' that will clear up the problem? I also read something about modchips?

Any thoughts?
    Your suggestions will be much appreciated.

PS: There's a very sad 9 year old counting on me to sort this out!
    :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Never heard of a format disk, and never believe something a vender selling dodgy games in Thailand tells you.

There are ways to get them to work, but I can't help you. Against forum rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 modal_ie

There are 2 things that could stop you from playing theses discs:

1) To copy a PS2 game and make it play without any modifications to the PS2 istelf - the copy must be manufactured on a disc press. The reason for this is that every original PS2 disc has a signature to indicate that the disc is genuine. The sector of the disc that this signature is written to is also the same sector that blank DVDs contain the information about the capacity/max writing speed, etc of the disc (blank DVDs aren't 100% blank when you buy them). If the disc has a purplish underside, it has been copied to a DVD+-R and will need a modification to the PS2 to play this.

2) If unlike in case (1) the underside of the disc is gold/silver like an original game it should play without any modification. So why are you seeing this problem? The reason is that the original disc the copy was manufactured from came from a different region to the region of your PS2, e.g. Asia, USA, etc. If this is the case then you will still need your PS2 modified.

So when they told you it would play without a modification, they probably speak from experience as I'd imagine they will play on an Asian PS2 no problem.

It's just one of those unfortunate things about buying games like these when abroad - you always run the risk that they wont work when you get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Nolberto

Thanks modal ie. Not sure which type the discs are (can find out). But either way it's gonna have to be modified if I want the games to work.

Hmmm...

Is modifying a PS2 a dangerous procedure? Is it likely to permanently damage the console? Anyone done this before? I presume the warrantee goes out the window if you attempt this...

Again, this isn't for myself (sorry if this type of post is against forum rules). Just trying to get the games to work for my nephew.

Thanks again.

Advertisement