Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV internet problems

• 16-03-2006 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Last night i started having major problems connecting to the net with UTV ADSL option. ClickSilver or something like that its called. I don't use their modem but use my router. Usually if the connection falls i just restart the router and it reconnects but it isn't reconnecting at all anymore. Not sure if its my end or theirs

Any idea if its not just me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I would suggest trying it with their modem (if you can) and if that doesn't work put on some relaxing music, find something to do beside the phone and be ready for a long hold as you call tech support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

working fine for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 RYR154

I have had the same problems with UTV click silver and I use the box they provided.

At about 15:55 every day the connection drops and I have to wait for about 5 to 10 mins before I can reconnect again. It’s a real pain.
    I have emailed UTV about this and got no reply (ever), called there support services and been left waiting for a lifetime.

Where broadband is concerned, not a good company to deal with!!!:mad:

I connect through the Belcam Exchange

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

RYR154 wrote:
    I have had the same problems with UTV click silver and I use the box they provided.

At about 15:55 every day the connection drops and I have to wait for about 5 to 10 mins before I can reconnect again. It’s a real pain.
    I have emailed UTV about this and got no reply (ever), called there support services and been left waiting for a lifetime.

Where broadband is concerned, not a good company to deal with!!!:mad:

I connect through the Belcam Exchange

Have you tried posting on the UTV support group? news.utvinternet.com and then utv.support (in your newsreader program outlook express will do)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

I am having connection problems since I signed up for the 2Mb package a month or so ago. Connects and disconnects constantly and always at a lower speed.
    Connection can be anything between 512 and 2048!! Usually under 1000 though.

In defense of utv, I have placed a few calls to utv, and have never had to hold for long. In general all the tech support guys I have dealt with have been very helpful.

They also managed to get an eircom engineer out to my house within a couple of days. Turns out the problem was/is with the line not with utv.

I realise alot of people have problems with utv, but so far I have found them to be great.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I have a 2mb UTV connection but the internetfrog is giving speed readings of less than 1mb for the past week..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 classicsounds

OMG UTV Sucks

Having upgraded to the 3Mb package I am still getting only 736 Kbps

Nothing like a 3 Mb connestion more like a 1Mb connection any ideas UTV say I'm on the 3Mb circuit and Eircom have confirmed this.

Somebody please help !!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

OMG UTV Sucks

Having upgraded to the 3Mb package I am still getting only 736 Kbps

Nothing like a 3 Mb connestion more like a 1Mb connection any ideas UTV say I'm on the 3Mb circuit and Eircom have confirmed this.

Somebody please help !!!

Have you been reading any of the other threads on this type of problem?

It may be that your line is not capable of the new speeds - have you checked your line stats? Depending on your modem/router there should be a screen somewhere in it to tell you the line stats - What speed is your modem syncing at with UTV? this will tell you whether you are connecting at the right speeds but will not necessarily achieve those speeds.

My line stats are

Connection Status
    Online Time 3:22:51
    Data Transmitted 4756583 bytes
    Data Received 31064389 bytes
    Downstream Speed 736 Kbps
    Upstream Speed 256 Kbps

I checked this by going into the config screen of my modem

So I am only getting 736kbps download speed

Is there anything i can do ??
    I heard that if your SNR signal to noise ratio is too high or too low that can effect the speed ?

At my witts end:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Move down to 2meg and see if that is good quality

• Advertisement

Was on the 2Mb line same Deal.
    Only got the 736 Kbps

What a crock !!!
    :mad:

I really think its the line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Its the line for sure!

Thank eircom for the line quality and downgrade your package to 1Mb as thats the best(actually you cant even sync at 1Mb!) you can hope for and see if UTV does it for free as they damn well should!

Is there anything can do at my end to inprove the SNR and line quality like a booster or filter ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭Benjy

UTV download speeds are all over the place. Attached is a snapshot of my recent speed tests which range from 83 kbps to 1695 kbps.

Did an advanced test on my adsl modem results below

DSL Parameters and Status
    Vendor ID: 00B5GSPN
    Revision Number: Y1921a
    Serial Number: 123456789abcdx
    Local Tx Power: 11.75 dB
    Remote Tx Power: 13.49 dB
    Local Line Atten.: 59.0 dB
    Remote Line Atten.: 29.0 dB
    Local SNR Margin: 7.0 dB
    Remote SNR Margin: 16.0 dB
    Self Test: Passed
    DSL Standard: G.dmt
    Trellis Coding: Enable
    Framing Structure: Framing-3
    Config Data Up Down
    Intrlvd Fast Intrlvd Fast
    AS0(kbps): - - 736 0
    AS1(kbps): - - 0 0
    LS0(kbps): 256 0 - -
    LS1(kbps): 0 0 - -
    RValue: 0 0 0 0
    SValue: 1 1
    DValue: 1 1

Any ideas ???

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

I am on 3mb and had been getting low download speeds for weeks. (700-800kb)

I have started using reget download manager and speeds have increased up to a solid 2.75mb.

Souns like happy days :)
    I will give it a try

Thanks

No joy on that download Manager

Not what its cracked up to be too difficult to use as well

:confused:

Could do with a Tech Head from eircom to sort this one out

:mad:

Advertisement