Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Revenue trying to wind up Shelbourne,for nonpayment of taxes?

• 16-03-2006 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Nearly choked on my breakfast roll reading this today.

The Times page 33 (oh found thread on foot.ie about it). Shels holding company are being petitioned by the Revenue!!

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=34513 Foot ie thread.

Will they be docked points, hell no. Will they be stuck in Div 1 to play Rovers, hell no.

If true they should be demoted with immediate effect like Rovers were for financial irregularities, but being the FAI i would imagine they wuold pronounce them champions and give them money to pay off the bill.

Joesoap/Slash, how true is this?

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Rovers weren't demoted for financial irregularities, they were demoted after failing to beat Keely's warriors! Helped somewhat by an 8 point deduction, but that's better than being thrown out of the league altogether despite no longer having a licence.

Honestly, I don't know whats going on. I read the auditors report, to see that its claimed we lost years worth of financial records in the flood. If something dodgy is going on, it needs to be uncovered and sorted out, tbh. I'd rather have things sorted and watch a Shels team of nobodies who struggle to play ball, than have years of success followed by closure.

Seemingly the directors have to have known about this for months. Apparently an official club statement is due tonight.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried.

Get sick of reading that foot.ie post, full of gob****es just praying Shels go broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Altho its in the legal notices and should be regarded as fact, the exact details are unknown. But Shels obviously knew of this and tried to cheat the licencing commitee and it worked to a point, to gain a licence thats needed to compete in the league. So in short if the above is true they cheated to get the licence and it should be removed thus forcing them into Div1.

Kdjac

Indeed. Alas, last year a precedent was set in which Shamrock Rovers were not removed to Div1 despite the removal of their licence. ;) You can bet Ollie, rightly or wrongly, would challenge that issue like mad (madder than usual).

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    You can bet Ollie, rightly or wrongly, would challenge that issue like mad (madder than usual).

If Accolade wound up he can do what he wants, he wont be allowed be a director of a football club for 5 years or so.

kdjac

AFC Shelbourne it is so! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    AFC Shelbourne it is so! :eek:

This is realistic though , i dont know what to hope for.

It's up on Shelsweb (http://forum.shelbournefc.ie/chat/viewtopic.php?t=5455&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30), from a very reliable person, allbeit an unofficial confirmation, that all monies have since been paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

All I know about this is what I've been reading on forums and its quite concerning to say the least. Don't want to say too much because I really don't know too much about it.

RTE seem to have made up their minds already though (taken from Aertel):

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

8 points deduction, and clarity thats all that should happen, in the intrest of fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I wouldn't read too much into what those goons on foot.ie or gypoweb are writing about having glee in their eyes at the prospect of Shels.... (am I allowed say it?)..... going bust. Too many children getting overly excited on those forums.

It's too early to say what is excatly going to happen. No one knows the entire story or situation so I'm not panicking. Now I have a basic understanding of the situation and nothing more than that but to say that Shels are doomed or whatnot is wildly premature.

All I know is that the situation isn't looking great and the best case scenario could end up been that we'll get a points deduction.

I don't believe things will come to the worst (praying anyway) but whatever happens there will be major changes in the way Shelbourne Football Club is operated in future because anyone with a brain knows we have far far more money going out than coming into the club. We cannot sustain this.

What I can pretty much safely say is it's certain that this FAI proposed ground share between Bohs and Shels won't happen. It didn't look like Bohs were going to accept it anyway and after today I'm certain they won't accept the proposals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

More bad press for the Eircom League, this is something that is definitely not needed! In the interest of fairne if this is proved to be true then Shels should be deducted the 8 points but no more than that.

Shocking stuff really

its a reflection of poor club managment, we had it with the previous board and thank god they're gone and that the 400 club are just plan amazing. i agree 8 points no more provided the situation is similar or the same as ours was, funny i remember shels fans screaming for us to be booted from football, but i doubt their devinity will be quite so vocal for this.

Heh, Rovers lost 8 points cuz it's all they had! The powers that be didn't want to see them on negative points! I figure we only lose 1 point cuz it's all we have atm! ;):D

Last year a precedent was set. And if something dodgy is happening, and the people responsible are turfed outta the club, then the same rules should be applied.

Frankly, I'm worried, mainly as I'm not entirely sure what the full situation is.

In the papers today that we owe revenue €300k, and other creditors €400k. I'm worried, and (perhaps in shortsighted rage! ;)), I'm looking at Ollie...

Like EnDai I'm worried and I'm feeling very angry that we've ended up in this situation. Not a paying your tax is simply bang out of order and if it isn't paid by April 3rd then I'm gonna have to swallow my pride and say that the club will deserve the consequences. On top of that our creditors are going to be looking at this in a less than favourable manner and I'm sure they'll stand up for themselves too.

Bottom line the fault here comes down to our hierarchy and no one else. If we get out of this one there has got to be many changes in how our club is run. We cannot sustain been full time, we connot sustain paying wasters like Glen Crowe 2k a week and with us having to move out of Tolka sooner rather than later we'll have to draw up a sensible and economical action plan that will help the clubs stability into the future. If the club don't do something about it, the fans will, no matter how much pressure we put on them.

All I care is that Shelbourne survive and prosper into the future. Maybe this situation is the badly needed wake up call the club needs and could be a blessing in disguise.

P.S. good not to hear snide comments here like on sites like foot.ie or our own site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I just hope they don't start turning to the fans to look for the money they owe.

you would think that after the trials of Shamrock Rovers no club in Ireland would fall into this type of thing, particulary so soon, I personaly wouldn't take any glee in seeing Shels going bust or anything of the sort. I hope they sort out their upstairs staff

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I just hope they don't start turning to the fans to look for the money they owe.

I'm sure my 25 euro will sort out all of our problems! :)

P.S. good not to hear snide comments here like on sites like foot.ie or our own site.

Altho some of the **** is a bit retarded and childlike, Shels fans have procalimed themselves as the best run club, best thing ever in EL, registering players, and generally being better on and off the field than everyone else etc. You could understand some of the general glee towards Shels fans. Put your hand out to be slapped kinda way.

As some like myself posted here months ago about Shels money problems it was shot down by Shels fans who refused to believe they were in any difficulty and the possible sales of players were for the players and not the club needing to sell.

Longford are being targetted next by the revenue same problems monies owed so your not alone.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Well, tomorrow is D Day for Shels. Whats the story? Can this bill be paid?

• Advertisement

^ yes according to this statement on Shels.com and The Sunday Independent and The Sunday Times.

My hope is that the club learn from this and get their house in order because we cannot sustain our current spending and we still owe a large amount of money to our creditors. Will this happen? I'm doubtful.

Ollie took quite a swipe at the Rovers situation here in The Sunday Independent...
    ‘We have often been in arrears with the Revenue but we worked with a understanding lady who always understood that everything would be honoured. We have been dealing with a different department whom I’ve had one or two arguments with. I cannot understand how in a situation where one person owes €1.5m to the Revenue, that they’re allowed to build up that sum of money and the Revenue is prepared to say they will accept two per cent or four per cent, which is what it turned out to be.

‘Ask yourself this: if tax inspectors follow a certain football club could they be in a position to influence an attack on another club?’

I personally feel he has a perfectly good point in relation to the Rovers scenario but he doesn't do himself any favours with him insinuating that the tax inspectors may be corrupt.

That was a swipe at Bohs and Rovers I do believe.

Hopefully thats that sorted anyways. It may cost us more in the long run, paying back wherever that money came from - with interest, but if it ensures Shelbourne FC continue to exist, then I'm all for it.

I've stated in another thread (redspiders one) that i think it would be ok for the gov to wipe the slate clean at a cost of 40k to each of the EL/EL1 teams, and get in writing that they must keep their houses in order with the penalty of being wrapped up as a club if they fail to keep the books balanced, but maybe Ollie should worry about Shels then worry about taking badly veiled swipes at other clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Advertisement