Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Orchestra: A bit crap isnt it

Options
  • 16-03-2006 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭

Just played this for the first time, its so slow. Im not going to be rushing back to this game, what a waste of 30 quid. Anybody else had a go of it yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

haven't got it. i thought it looked like DoD, but with tanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Yep, I've played it a little bit. I think it's quite good but will retain my verdict for now because I haven't gotten to grips with the maps and controls yet.
    I think the problem a lot of people will have with it(including you) is that it's a war simulation and not a fast game like DoD Source. For the moment tho, I do still prefer DoD Source over Red Orchestra but I love the vehicles and size of the maps RO offers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'll be waiting for a demo before i give 'em any money for this.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah I was put off at first by the slowness of the game like movement and reload times...some clunky animations too. But then it dawned on this is a much more realistic games. Realistic fire fights are generated at range where cover actually is a life saver. No unrealistic strafing out from cover, fire/kill, back behind cover. They throw in a small amount of gun sway and that makes shooting more difficult. Brothers in Arms I feel went overboard with this feature but this game got it just right. Alot of RO games are nearly rifle only affairs. So flanking and gernade use are important. Leaning is an important feature. Excellent explosive effects, smoke and sound. Occasional very bloody corpses.

One or two small grips , is the jump is abit naff barely get you over even small walls. On occasions when you do hand to hand fighting range the fights are abit stupid looking. Tanks look good in general but I find tank barrels passing through the tanks own chasis also abit stupid looking.

Overall after overcoming my first rather negative thoughts it really is starting to grow on me. I would actually like to see this game with the source engine but it would cut down map size so I will forgive. The old Unreal 2 Engine albiet modified still looks reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I reckon this game is still too expensive. Will deffo wait for a demo of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

yea, I played the UT mod when people were talking about it as the best Mod ever..

I really thought that was not a good game at all, I dont think slow and realistic equals a fun game...

I wont be buying this, esp. after seeing the video they released a few weeks ago and how slow and 'clunky' that was..

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I think its slow pace and realism is a rather unquie selling point for this game. I think the designers should be praised for creating a game thats different to 99% of the fps out already. We have had fast paced unrealistic games up the yin yan for the last donkey years (not thats a bad thing). But this seems to me like a breath of fresh air.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I think it is excellent tbh.
    Ive played RO since very first beta over 2 years ago.
    This version is outstanding.
    Dont think of it as COD or DOD,if you do you will not give the game the time it deserves to learn what a great game it is.
    Its not for everyone however.

Advertisement