Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slightly embassassing situation

• 16-03-2006 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This is a really stupid question, I know, but I'd appreciate some advice on it. I had a demonstrator for one of my biology labs recently that was really good looking. We chatted away in the two labs I had him for and got on really well. The second time, he mentioned something I'd said two weeks previously, so I figured I must have stuck in his mind someway or other.

A few days later, I found him on Facebook (it's like Bebo, but just for universities. I don't think it's reached Ireland yet though- I'm in the UK) and mentioned it to a friend of mine. She recommended that I "poke" him via Facebook. It just comes up as on the poked's homepage as "you have been poked by
    " and just lets them know that you've seen their page, without going as far as adding them as a friend. My friend promised me that it would be either "queried or returned" and can be great fun. So I decided that I'd nothing to lose and went for it. That was last week, and today I got a message querying it, as promised. Unfortunately, the message said "hey, you poked me? But I'm not sure exactly who you are??". MAJOR embarrassment on my part!

So now my question is: How do I respond? Do I ignore it and pretend it didn't happen? Do I write back and say "oops wrong person" or something, or do I just risk my dignity (again) and point out who I am? Or another option completely?

Btw, he's not my demonstrator any more, so there's no need to point out that a relationship would be frowned upon. He has nothing to do with my degree now. Oh, and he's only a few years older than me, so age isn't an issue.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The second time, he mentioned something I'd said two weeks previously, so I figured I must have stuck in his mind someway or other.
    +1 for you. He recognises you as a human being.
    Unfortunately, the message said "hey, you poked me? But I'm not sure exactly who you are??". MAJOR embarrassment on my part!
    Maybe he just can't match the human being he met two weeks ago with the tiny 32 pixel photo?

Maybe its not him. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Just reply asking him if he's a lecturer in wherever.

If he is, just say it's a small world, or some other chitchat... See how he replies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

He could just be trying to make sure you are who he thinks you are before he says anything else.
    Or trying to seem cool & aloof or something.

My current bf did the same-ish thing via text when we 1st met.
    He said he just wanted to be sure the text was from me & didn't want to assume.

Best of luck!

Edit: Ps. Just tell him the truth, that he was your demonstrator in a lab & you recognised him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

How is it embarrassing that he doesn't recognise who you are? Do you like the guy? Go for it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yes, there is no real reason to be embarrassed. You should go for it, you have nothing to lose. It's not as if you will meet him again if he is not interested in you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement