Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork is the dirtiest city in Ireland

Options
  • 16-03-2006 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

I have lived here for 16 years & I think that Cork people though are lovely people & fun, they lack any love or care for their city.
    Walking in the streets you can't help noticing people throwing their rubbish on the pavement when just a meter away is a rubbish bin.
    I have travelled in 5 continents. And used public transports. The dirties has to be CIE buses in Cork. I don't blame the company for the situation. It's the public that treat the buses like pig sties & expect it to be cleaned.
    In Spain, Italy & Greece for example, the buses are exemplary. So why is bad here? Is is a reflection of the state of houses?

Comments

wasper wrote:
    I have travelled in 5 continents. And used public transports. The dirties has to be CIE buses in Cork. I don't blame the company for the situation. It's the public that treat the buses like pig sties & expect it to be cleaned.

New York?

Cork is like a surgical theatre compared to New York. As for the subway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

I think that anyone who is from Cork should be proud of their city. It is by far the nicest city in the country and is a fantastic place to go for a day.
    Cork county has also got some of the nicest scenery in the country.
    It is generally a nice place to be.
    And this is coming from a tipperary man,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I'm a blow in myself and I am stunned at the attitude and lack of respect for the beautiful environment down here. Loads of people I know seem to think its ok to litter and dump illegally as long as you don't get caught . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭TiwstaSista

I think that anyone who is from Cork should be proud of their city. It is by far the nicest city in the country and is a fantastic place to go for a day.
    Cork county has also got some of the nicest scenery in the country.
    It is generally a nice place to be.
    And this is coming from a tipperary man,
    Except Galway, you mean. Perfectly understandable, probably a typo...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

ditto. Used to be so dirty you'd need to close your eyes in a gust of wind cos dust would be guaranteed to go into your eyes.

Places like France have great cleaning programmes for cleaning the streets, starting at 5 in the morning.

I can say for sure that Barcelona's streets were far filthier than Cork - the place stank.

It's all about attitude to dropping litter - I never do and I don't smoke leaving cigarette butts everywhere.

Also the hefty litter fines that exist don't seem to be implemented much, so people have no fear of getting caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

I have to agree with Wasper. From Cork myself, i can walk from home to town and not pass a single bin. Full black bags dumped behind the wall of a public park. Town is even worse. Theres a bin within eyeshot which ever way you look on the bigger streets (try it, you might be surprised) and still people will drop rubbish, even while standing next to the bin. Praise for the poor buggers in the corporation that are in town at 7am cleaning the place up so it can look clean even for a few hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 EssBee

Poor my ass, those guys are raking it in. I always thought cork was clean enough. You should come down to tralee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭tallaghtdave

ive never been to cork ive always wanted to go.
    they seem great craic ,any of the lads ive met from there.
    all towns and citys have good and bit i think this is knit picking .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Hakumei Naru

Cork is not the dirtiest town in Ireland...but it most certainly isn't the cleanest. The dirtiest town in Ireland has to be Cobh.

Oh, in the summer it puts on it's happy face for the tourists but in any other time of the year the streets are littered with dog crap everywhere. I swear to god, either that town has so many stealthy dogs that I never see or there are a few dogs with serious digestion issues. I lived in Cobh for over a year altogether so I've seen it in all seasons. Don't get me wrong, Cobh is a lovely port town but the damn footpaths are a disgrace.

Cork has improved alot over the years, especially in 2004 when they were preparing in a rush of utter panic and disorganisation for it being the capital of culture in 2005. The city centre is so much better than the miserable bumpy maze of traffic it used to be. We have plenty of bins in the city centre but we could do with alot more in streets like Barrack Street. Most of the town is relatively clean....with the exception of the old Cineplex. There is a huge barrier there at the road (digging something, I dunno) which makes it pretty dark at night...which of course inevitably exposes it to drunken idiots who will take a wizz in any dark corner they can find. The smell there is putrid to say the least.

But overall, Cork is a pretty good town. Needs some improvements, but hey, which town doesn't?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 EssBee

You're the dirtiest town in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Damage

I think the city of cork in some places is clean but in others is just a joke,the lee is pretty filthy,but it seems to be on the up in general as the streets are being revamped, i dont think patrick street now is as dirty as it used to be as when people are on it they dont want to litter because its better now.Not everyone though:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

new reports just out state that cork is not the dirtiest town/city in Ireland...

apparently "Dumpland" and its surrounding towns are.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

wasper wrote:
    I have lived here for 16 years & I think that Cork people though are lovely people & fun, they lack any love or care for their city.
    Walking in the streets you can't help noticing people throwing their rubbish on the pavement when just a meter away is a rubbish bin.
    In Spain, Italy & Greece for example, the buses are exemplary. So why is bad here? Is is a reflection of the state of houses?
    I may add Canada. Vancouver was a clean place. The country side & there is plenty country side, was clean. People didn't dump their rubbish on the side.
    I really enjoyed it there.
    Back to Cork, the rubbish on the side of the road is getting worse. I travel to work to Middleton & sometimes use the old road & it's just too upsetting to see rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

The city is in the process of spending dozens of millions of € on granite footpaths, and as fast as they are being installed they are being destroyed by junk food stains - fats and oils from take away junk foods, leaking badly designed street bins, chewing gum and spilt containers of cola and other beverages.

The city centre is a particularly appalling visit for the weekend tourist with rubbish from the previous night blowing all over the place.

Surely it is time to outsource street cleaning and washing activities on a tender basis so that they are properly cleaned seven days a week, in front of burger joints as well as everywhere else? In Oliver Plunket Street, and connecting side streets to Patrick St and well as other heavily trafficked areas (Emmet Place) where expensive new surfaces are neglected.

Street furniture vandalism, accidental damage and road repair reinstatement is also very much neglected. Traffic lights falling over in Patrick St. Incorrect use of road traffic signage abounds + missing no entry signs on one-way streets. The bottom of Shandon St / North Mall remains like a lunar landscape following road works which took place several years ago. Temporary traffic lights remain in place two years after the event.

On a bus from Cork airport, there was rubbish everywhere and the upholstery was cut in several places with knives. A wonderfully accurate snapshot to give people as they arrive in the city!

There is no excuse for this.

probe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Cork has to be the best designed and most visually charming town or city I've ever been in.

If you think Cork is bad, try moving to Limerick. Ick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mercenary1

Cork is not the dirtiest town in Ireland...but it most certainly isn't the cleanest. The dirtiest town in Ireland has to be Cobh.

Oh, in the summer it puts on it's happy face for the tourists but in any other time of the year the streets are littered with dog crap everywhere. I swear to god, either that town has so many stealthy dogs that I never see or there are a few dogs with serious digestion issues. I lived in Cobh for over a year altogether so I've seen it in all seasons. Don't get me wrong, Cobh is a lovely port town but the damn footpaths are a disgrace.

LOL im from Cobh, to be honest dude - its not that bad - ive seen alot worse. The only thing I would say is that there is chewingum everywhere.. Other than that its just fine

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

probe wrote:
    The city is in the process of spending dozens of millions of € on granite footpaths, and as fast as they are being installed they are being destroyed by junk food stains - fats and oils from take away junk foods, leaking badly designed street bins, chewing gum and spilt containers of cola and other beverages.

The city centre is a particularly appalling visit for the weekend tourist with rubbish from the previous night blowing all over the place.

Surely it is time to outsource street cleaning and washing activities on a tender basis so that they are properly cleaned seven days a week, in front of burger joints as well as everywhere else? In Oliver Plunket Street, and connecting side streets to Patrick St and well as other heavily trafficked areas (Emmet Place) where expensive new surfaces are neglected.

Street furniture vandalism, accidental damage and road repair reinstatement is also very much neglected. Traffic lights falling over in Patrick St. Incorrect use of road traffic signage abounds + missing no entry signs on one-way streets. The bottom of Shandon St / North Mall remains like a lunar landscape following road works which took place several years ago. Temporary traffic lights remain in place two years after the event.

On a bus from Cork airport, there was rubbish everywhere and the upholstery was cut in several places with knives. A wonderfully accurate snapshot to give people as they arrive in the city!

There is no excuse for this.

probe

touche

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Rozie wrote:
    Cork has to be the best designed and most visually charming town or city I've ever been in.

If you think Cork is bad, try moving to Limerick. Ick.
    funny you say that seeing as how limerick is the 2nd cleanest city in the republic (think galway is 1st)

Limerick's buses are clean to bad theres such a lack of them :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement