Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downgraded! Yay!

• 16-03-2006 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Well I never thought I'd be celebrating a speed reduction on my ADSL, but after connection/synch loss woes dating back to the line upgrades, I was on the verge of reinstalling my v92 modem and/or jumping from a tall building.

BT finally managed to put my line back to 2mb/256kb after 3 weeks (they promised me it would be 48 hrs :rolleyes: ), and my line has gone from dropping every 5 minutes to being rock solid (so far).
    My SNR during the trouble were fluctuating from 8-1db and it seemed like I was being booted at peak usage times (6-10pm).
    SNR is now at a steady 10db. Speedtest came back that I'm getting 1.7mbps...during the 3mb period I was synching at 2.4mbps, so not that much of a loss really.

I'm expecting a monumental battle with the BT billing dept to have the correct charge applied...probably have that cleared up by July sometime :D
    Anyone else had to get downgraded?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I'm having the same prob. Started to happen when the 512 -> 2mb came in. Even worse now that I'm on 3mb. Where you charged the €30 downgrade fee? I really want to go back to 2mb, and if I'm still not happy move down to the 1mb option, but I don't agree with paying the fee to downgrade as I didn't ask to be upgraded in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

dont really understand ,why did youse wanna downgrade?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dont really understand ,why did youse wanna downgrade?

...because his line was incapable of supporting higher speeds so it had sync problems, the higher the line speed the less it can cope with high line noise...the further from the exchange & quality of copper the higher the noise can be.

So in short if a line is disconnecting at 2MB (provided its not a physical connections problem in the end users house), odds are downgrading it to 1MB will allow the line to operate correctly as high noise levels is a common cause for disconnect problems...once the obvious has been ruled out! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'm having the same prob. Started to happen when the 512 -> 2mb came in. Even worse now that I'm on 3mb. Where you charged the €30 downgrade fee? I really want to go back to 2mb, and if I'm still not happy move down to the 1mb option, but I don't agree with paying the fee to downgrade as I didn't ask to be upgraded in the first place.

Oh I better not have f*cking been since it's their damn fault my perfect service turned into crap. If I was they can sing for it and I'll move to smart or something. I had 3 synch losses overnight but it's probably down to this usb modem as well (waiting to get my router back from RMA).
    Another thing about the charge is no-one in TS mentioned it and it was they who suggested downgrading as a solution...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

How do you check your line SNR? I only have my linksys modem/router, and I have not seen anything to show me a SNR.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sparky-s wrote:
    How do you check your line SNR? I only have my linksys modem/router, and I have not seen anything to show me a SNR.

What linksys model do you have? If it is the wag54g click on the status tab and then click on dsl and it will show you your stats.

Some information here:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Yeah, its a wag54g.

Downstream Rate: 3072 Kbps
    Upstream Rate: 384 Kbps
    Encapsulation: RFC 2516 PPPoE
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Multiplexing: LLC

Where do I find the snr?

Advertisement