Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online backup

Options
  • 17-03-2006 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

i've to checkout the possibility of our company (wont name here) using online backup. We have about three gigs of vital data incrementing by about 100mb per week.
    Who should I use? What questions should I ask?
    I was considering using ibank.com (foreign) or backupanytime.com (local)

any info appreciated

RJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

buy a dvd burner/Tape backup and have a upper management staff member take it home / sent it to a storage company each week?

but if you must backup online what is your companies upload speed like? as uploading 3Gb is a lot of data to upload each week or are you saying you only need to backup 100Mb a week?

I suggest each week you make 2 backups of the data, one is kept in the office in order to restore data when/if needed and one is shipped offsite to wherever staff home/storage company in case of fire in the office etc. That way you have 2 copies that are very unlikly to be destroyed together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rexjones

We allready do our own onsite backups to tape but what you read about tape these days aint good. Anyway, the I.T. bod who takes the data home wants an automated off site system in addition to our current system so I'm realy looking for someone who has online backup experience. The first backup would be bg and likely run over a weekend but the dails / nightly increment should take no more than an hour. Anyone here using online backup?

RJ

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I'm using it alot and I'm very happy with it.

You could look at something like http://centraldatabank.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cano

I know this might be a bit of a late reply, but outsourcing your company data to a server in the U.S could put your data at risk. Not to mention much longer restore times.

I do know of a few companies in Ireland doing online backup systems.
    My company uses is keepITsafe based in Naas, Kildare. They provide a fully monitored backup solution with support and will also conduct a full restore provided you pay for this option. 5GB backup will cost you around €30 a month with free installation. www.keepitsafe.ie

I got a quote from Central Data Bank it was phone numbers compared to keepITsafe.

Saves me changing those old tapes. I dont trust them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

There's also xDrive - www.xdrive.com and Mozy - www.mozy.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Cano: if advertising is what you're after, you need to pay for it here just like anywhere else. I'll leave the first post of yours above, but your other posts have been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cano

WHAT?? i work for the a contracting company called ICAF at the moment. supose i'm advertising them now too?

Sorry for giving out advice Moriarty. how are you possibly ment to have a conversation without mentioning websites or companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's a thread dragged up from a year ago. If I was mod, I'd lock it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

me too.......

Oh Wait.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement