Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie - a dictatorship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

akaanon2 wrote:
    Sparky-s a second year student in some unknown IT in Tipp
    Recheck your info. Your wrong, and im not a student either.
    akaanon2 wrote:
    you are but children in my eyes.
    Children eh.
    akaanon2 wrote:
    As for boards, my point is proven. I rest my case.
    Does than mean you will leave us alone now?
    akaanon2 wrote:
    I have not been allowed defend myself, except through the benifit of a proxy server.
    Oh! Has DHCP not worked for you? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

akaanon2 wrote:
    ok, now my second account has been banned. As for Cult a second year student in DCU and Sparky-s a second year student in some unknown IT in Tipp you are but children in my eyes.

Oh, these things are always rofflesome - what am I?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

what about me?

Also you do realise if you do actually keep this up it can be reported to DCU and is regarded as violation of the terms under which you are allowed use the interweb there?

Good child, now off to bed with you..... you can try some new buzz terms tomorrow...

Infact, the admins are a nice lot when you think about it.

BoardsIE0003.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 akaanon09

what about me?
    Nietzschean, you are an example of someone who is not able to deal with constructive criticism (given you are only a student in TCD, that is really not surprising), Seamus is the only mod here so far, who has replied to me in a mature and grown up manner, allowing me to respond without banning, this is what my original post was about, if any of you cared to actually read it.

Nietzschean, as for reporting me to the HEA, bring it on, please! Don't make threats you can't carry out, you might look silly.

• Advertisement

Asok loves you.

If you reckon you are so mature and grown up also, why would you ask such a question:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51056638&postcount=1

Surely only a child would ask, for child does not know much about whores.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

akaanon09 wrote:
    Nietzschean, you are an example of someone who is not able to deal with constructive criticism (given you are only a student in TCD, that is really not surprising)
    Example? And given you feel the need to somehow relate this to the university i attend really does illustrate your childishness.
    Seamus is the only mod here so far, who has replied to me in a mature and grown up manner, allowing me to respond without banning, this is what my original post was about, if any of you cared to actually read it.
    We all read it, and have seen the same post by others on several previous occasions....not like it added 'ANYTHING' new.
    Nietzschean, as for reporting me to the HEA, bring it on, please! Don't make threats you can't carry out, you might look silly.
    If you actually read MY post, you'll notice i never once indicated i'd be the one reporting you to DCU/HEA. And i never even mentiond HEA, and it would be HEAnet that you would be reported to, but that is irrelevent as you are connected from a DCU proxy so the report would goto them. And it would be the progative of an Admin to do such reporting, not myself. I meerly pointed out that your proxy isn't some sort of stupid anonymous shield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Excuse me if I appear a bit slow on the uptake, but what exactly is this thread about?, some new guy with about twenty posts complaining boards is full of call centre workers?, is you a racist?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

This is like "Groundhog Day".
    Every morning I log on and this thread is here, same whining, same irrelevent drivel, same shite basically.
    Only the poster's name changes. It's getting boring at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

FIGHT THE POWER!
    SMASH THE STATE!!

Solidarity, brother!!!

• Advertisement

Poor Asok.
    He was up all morning banning muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

amp wrote:
    Barry Scott.

Cillit bang!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Cillit bang!

Bang! and the muppet..keeps coming back for more..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sparky-s wrote:
    Infact, the admins are a nice lot when you think about it.

BoardsIE0003.gif

Damn, that's hypnotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

why does gerry look like hes wearing mascara?

oh, and yes, boards.ie is a dictatorship. and if mods want to close your crappy threads, then they can.
    becuase it becomes instantly 10 times more interesting when you post on feedback to complain about it.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

akaanon2 wrote:
    ok, now my second account has been banned. As for Cult a second year student in DCU and Sparky-s a second year student in some unknown IT in Tipp you are but children in my eyes. As for boards, my point is proven. I rest my case. I have not been allowed defend myself, except through the benifit of a proxy server.

Children eh, so, how many children did you have sex with in your twenties? Or has it just "not been the right time yet"?

People like you are more than pathetic, what a shame that you are somehow associated with my college.

Care to give me any of your personal information, or are you going to swing your saber from behind your mask of anonymity?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

koneko wrote:
    Cillit bang!

iT'S MY OLD FAVOURITE!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

amp wrote:
    iT'S MY OLD FAVOURITE!

You love that one, Barry!!
    (but not anymore as it has been found to be misleading and "oversimplified")
    clipping.gif

And besides, you're not supposed to use it on copper;
    zoomin.jpg

DAMN YOU BARRY SCOTT!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

nazism.jpg

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The repeated insults to other universities and general lack of a point except "waaaaaah" leads me to the conclusion that this is simply a troll looking for a reaction.

Asok, guns free... fire at will. :)

DeV.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote:
    Asok, guns free... fire at will. :)

DeV.

Poor Will.

will-ferrell-sized.jpg

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sico wrote:
    nazism.jpg
    SAY NO TO GAY HAIR!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i'm bored so i'm gonna feed the troll with logic.

Is this forum not a prime example of how a government can go wrong, or how a business can go out of business?

lets take your comparison of boards to a government.

Soo.

If boards was a government then the moderators would be the MPs. They represent areas of the state (After hours, film etc) and the bigger the state the more representatives (as in after hours having more mods then most other boards) They are for the most part selected by the people who frequent those boards, so they are in a sense elected. And while it has been rare, they can also be removed if the (key word) majority of that board disagree with their actions. Mods even have their own Dail with the moderator forum.

Smods and Admins are more like the beuracrats, they keep things running, they do alot of the background work and can cover for the mods. (we'll get back to this in a moment)

Now unless you want a anarchist state, every state has laws, usually set out in a constitution of sort. And look it here, we have a Charter, plus a individual charter for every board.

Now lets take the matter of you. While yes you can shake the shackles of freedom of speech as much as you want. You must remember that the law is as important as freedom of speech and that is where you went wrong. Your posts can be seen as vandalism. you snuck up to some building and did some grafitti, some cop was passing by and caught you. You get a slap on the wrists (locking the thread) soo you go to capitol and raise a protest over your mistreatment. But in the process you actually attack violently other people. (attacking someone verbally in boards, can be used as the equivelent to assault in a actual state) the police pull in and throw you in jail for assault. But you perform a jailbreak. Thy catch and feck you back into jail again. But once more you perform a jailbreak.

By now any democracy from the USA to ireland will be underlining your name as a lifer and one byond rehabilitation.

Soo back to your original point. Is boards.ie a dictatorship? No. It seems to tick of all the points of a modern state. It could be seen as a state with too much power in the bueracracy. But it is here where your entire comparison falls apart. You dont pay taxes therefore its a privately run forum which has outlasted many other forums simple because it has'nt fallen into disarrey.

If you want to prove its a dictatorship prove these six points:

defining elements were intended to be taken as a mutually supportive organic entity comprised of the following:

an elaborating guiding ideology;

a single mass party, typically led by a dictator;

a system of terror;

a monopoly of the means of communication and physical force;

and central direction and control of the economy through state planning.

mobilisation of the mass.

prove with all links to all six, and i will accept your statement that boards.ie is a dictatorship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kraftwerk.jpg
    BoardsIE0003.gif

God, Kraftwerk have gone downhill lately.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I like to think of the smod's as secret police.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

there not very secret are they?

also what kind of secret police? are we thinking east german tracksuit wearing secret police with scentjars and days of recorded phone calls?

Or are thinking gestapo with leather coats and funny accents and the word Herr in front of their names?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Asok can be Herr Epalms.

I actually wouldnt really argue with the statement that its a "dictatorship" (as emotive and trolling as it is). Theres a small group of people who decide the direction of most things and we arent elected, you can't over throw us and we can pretty much enforce our will directly or via the Mods.

Then there is the "benevolent" part of it. We've always said it was a benevolent dictatorship simply because I've seen committee and "democracies" become corrupt and stagnant and ultimately achieve nothing. We didnt want that for Boards.

However you're accusation breaks down when you consider that we cannot force you to stay here. You have a vote and you can X a box.... top right of this window. You can simply NOT come here. And so the system has a self-righting safety system. If we are BAD dictators then our "people" will leave and we'll be sitting here, I dunno... oppressing the mods or something :)

People stay here and come back here because they LIKE our style of dictatorship. They LIKE that the "muppets" get squashed and that there are strict rules and bad things happen to the "online punks". Stick around (or go try a different forum, one with a more anarchic approach) and you might find yourself agreeing with us... if not, no problem, just X your vote.

I dunno where you get off *expecting* access to Boards anyway.... this isnt a public service, this isnt a government funded, tax paid community project. Have we grown so big that we are now a fundamental "right"?? lol.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

DeVore wrote:
    I actually wouldnt really argue with the statement that its a "dictatorship" (as emotive and trolling as it is). Theres a small group of people who decide the direction of most things and we arent elected, you can't over throw us and we can pretty much enforce our will directly or via the Mods.

DeV.

The number one reason why boards isn't a dictatorship, is that partipation isn't mandatory.It is true that in a dictatorship, you live under rules and regulations you have no choice over, just like on boards, except on boards you can walk away. There are many moderators on boards I feel are Dicks and abusive of their position, therefore I don't post on their forums. If, however, there was some situation whereby boards was publically funded (ala red brick and DCU authories), I'd feel people would have certain rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

LiouVille wrote:
    There are many moderators on boards I feel are Dicks and abusive of their position, therefore I don't post on their forums.

Unless the forum is a hosted one, the moderators don't own the forum as such. Think of them more as caretakers.

Advertisement