Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie - a dictatorship

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

so what?

as for getting pissed on something over the interenet, i dont think there is another more moany whingy user on these boards as you.

as someone else pointed out, its all you ever do. please dont try and pretend youre above it becuase quite frankly, you aint.

Yes but i never get pissed off about it, from looking at the other persons post it looked like he was well pissed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Anyways you lot are the bosses...........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Anyways you lot are the bosses...........

YAVOL MEIN UNTERMENSCH!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If only...

*has extended dream sequence*

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fighting Irish, you are the reason that the rules are purposely vague and moderation left up to a moderator's free will.

If we make set rules, you will poke holes in them, and try and argue loopholes when you get banned.

If however, we make fluid and adaptable rules, then the boundaries which you so crave cannot exist. This frustrates you, because you want to rebel against the system, but the system has big rubber walls - sometimes you jump against them and you get a nice soft cushion, and sometimes they throw you backwards with ferocity, you can never predict.

Just think about this for one second - how come almost everyone else is getting along just fine? Is it that they're just not saying anything, that you're the lone voice in a sea of oppressed souls, or maybe, just maybe, is it because everyone else can work with the system? Don't bring up a list of complaint threads as your evidence of mass displeasure. Annoyed people complain, but happy people say nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

DeVore wrote:
    We have 50-100 new sign ups every day
    I don't know where bubbles finds the time tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Yes but i never get pissed off about it, from looking at the other persons post it looked like he was well pissed :D

yeah, you do.

on the other hand, i am above it all, and am therefore a better person than you.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

seamus wrote:
    Fighting Irish, you are the reason that the rules are purposely vague and moderation left up to a moderator's free will.

If we make set rules, you will poke holes in them, and try and argue loopholes when you get banned.

If however, we make fluid and adaptable rules, then the boundaries which you so crave cannot exist. This frustrates you, because you want to rebel against the system, but the system has big rubber walls - sometimes you jump against them and you get a nice soft cushion, and sometimes they throw you backwards with ferocity, you can never predict.

Just think about this for one second - how come almost everyone else is getting along just fine? Is it that they're just not saying anything, that you're the lone voice in a sea of oppressed souls, or maybe, just maybe, is it because everyone else can work with the system? Don't bring up a list of complaint threads as your evidence of mass displeasure. Annoyed people complain, but happy people say nothing.
    See, now thats why he's an SMod.... :)

WWM, FI, please take this to the Thunderdome as the original poster has been answered.

In my opinion if we had hard fast rules, we'd have ten times as many posts in here from rules lawyers who want to argue the Boards.ie Law Courts.

I much prefer when humans use their brains and commonsense or soemtimes let things slide as they see fit. We have some hard rules but other areas are left intentionally grey.

DeV.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I find it funny that anyone can claim that people on this website hate the set up but are afraid to say anything...

The internet does not have people who bite their tongues, they just don't exist. Everyone complains about the slightest of peevs online, sometimes because they're just like that generall but usually because there is no real comeback regardless of your actions on a forum; you might get banned, you might be hated by everyone but life goes on...

DeVore wrote:
    See, now thats why he's an SMod.... :)

WWM, FI, please take this to the Thunderdome as the original poster has been answered.

In my opinion if we had hard fast rules, we'd have ten times as many posts in here from rules lawyers who want to argue the Boards.ie Law Courts.

I much prefer when humans use their brains and commonsense or soemtimes let things slide as they see fit. We have some hard rules but other areas are left intentionally grey.

DeV.

im sorry tom, i thought that since this is being dragged on and on, and the question had been pointed out several times in plain old simple english, that i might take time out to start conversing down to other peoples level.

apparently there was still point to make.

i apologise for interrupting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

flogen wrote:
    The internet does not have people who bite their tongues, they just don't exist.
    I disagree with this, but I don't want to rock the boat :o

No, you're right...

*wanders off*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nullobject

dictatorship... never. take a look at this thread if you dont believe me http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054911218

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

my.php?image=orly7me.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nullobject

Asok wrote:
    my.php?image=orly7me.jpg

Thank you ASOK I now have all I need for my complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

*Yawn* Bye Bye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

nullobject wrote:
    dictatorship... never. take a look at this thread if you dont believe me http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054911218

It think it proves that boards is not a dictatorship. I started a really really dumb thread and ASOK moved in and set things right. It think that just shows how even handed boards is.

In fact I would ask ASOK to please remove the thread completely as it serves no purpose other than to remind me how stupid I can be and I already know that.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

But... boards is a dictatorship o_O

The administrators have never claimed otherwise. All they do is highlight the general benevolence of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

seamus wrote:
    It's not even a "system" really. It's a bunch of people with a cool flat saying "hey, party at our gaff", and then the party went on so long that some of the long-standing guests, that they actually knew (though many of them just because they'd been at the party for so long) to act as bouncers and deal with the twat snorting cocaine off the kitchen hob and the drunk trying to start a fight with the hawthorn tree in the front garden.
    Hagar wrote:
    It think it proves that boards is not a dictatorship.
    No, what proves that boards is a dictatorship is the dictators saying "hello, welcome to our dictatorship".

i dont care.
    i just want to make sure that everyone knows i dont care...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'd go with the Monarchy idea rather than a Dictatorship.
    A dictator doesn't give a sh1t about his people but a monarch does.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

"It's not even a "system" really. It's a bunch of people with a cool flat saying "hey, party at our gaff", and then the party went on so long that some of the long-standing guests, that they actually knew (though many of them just because they'd been at the party for so long) to act as bouncers and deal with the twat snorting cocaine off the kitchen hob and the drunk trying to start a fight with the hawthorn tree in the front garden."

Lol... no really... LOL.
    I was wrong, this thread did produce something worthwhile in the end....

DeV.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Talliesin wrote:
    It's not even a "system" really. It's a bunch of people with a cool flat saying "hey, party at our gaff", and then the party went on so long that some of the long-standing guests, that they actually knew (though many of them just because they'd been at the party for so long) to act as bouncers and deal with the twat snorting cocaine off the kitchen hob and the drunk trying to start a fight with the hawthorn tree in the front garden..

That analogy is a bit reminiscent of the one used a few months ago to describe the general direction of Boards - you know the "we're all on a bus ride, some got on later, no-one really knows where we're going etc etc"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

So not only is boards.ie old and tired, even the analogies are repetitive.... we should all just give up and go home...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

And get off the bus? No thanks missus... :p

'sides, analogies are alot like goldfish, they very often have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand*

* Copyright Ecksor 2005

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I think it's longer ago than that when I posted that, but I can't claim to have originally come up with that quote I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

parsi wrote:
    That analogy is a bit reminiscent of the one used a few months ago to describe the general direction of Boards - you know the "we're all on a bus ride, some got on later, no-one really knows where we're going etc etc"
    Actually, the party analogy was used at least 3 years ago. The bit about the cocaine and the hawthorn was mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

I love these threads.

I love you guys *sniff*.

I heart stuff at large.

^ OMG Free speeches all over the shop... I are totally bannz0redz now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Talliesin wrote:
    Actually, the party analogy was used at least 3 years ago. The bit about the cocaine and the hawthorn was mine.

Uninteresting factoid: I was the first to use the phrase Benevolent Dictatorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I was the first user on boards to combine humour with dashing good looks.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

You are my first my last my everything.

Advertisement