Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real Republican????

Options
  • 17-03-2006 4:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

Can someone tell me what that means? Ive been seeing it around in a few sigs along with the tri-colour but I dont know what Im supposed to take from it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Can someone tell me what that means? Ive been seeing it around in a few sigs along with the tri-colour but I dont know what Im supposed to take from it.

Afaik it is a republican (someone who wants a united island of Ireland under a republic) that rejects the autority of the IRA and other republican terrorist groups and that of Sinn Fein, since they don't represent the people of Ireland.

The "real" bit comes from the non-representation part. The logic says you can't call yourself a republican if you don't listen to what the people of Ireland actually want, and the people of Ireland don't want violence and terrorism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

heres another one, can anyone remember a time when IRA/SF/Republicans dominated St Patricks day (in Irelnad) if ever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Wicknight, I would have thought that it would be more to do with being a Republican and supporting the RIRA and so on, but not supporting Sinn Féin or the Provos cos they've decommissioned. A more 'extreme' Republican, I guess.

I haven't seen it in any sigs though, so maybe I'm way off...!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I call myself a real republican for a number of reasons;
    1) I support the Irish Republic and believe in the ideals it was created under. SFIRA and other extremist groups do not recognise the legitimacy of the Republic of Ireland at all, nor do they recognise the Gardai, Oglaigh na hEireann, The President, The Oireachtas, etc. etc.

2) I reject violence in the name of Republicanism and state that it is unprepresentative of the real Republican state and people... people who carry out violence don't do it as Republicans in the real sense of the word.

as for an UI, I support the ideal of a United Ireland as set out in our constitution but I realise that it will and should only come about with the support of the vast majority of people in the 6 counties and if that never happens I will be able to accept it as there is no other way.

Basically, I want to see the word Republican and the image of the tricolour taken back from SFIRA. I believe that as a result of years of violence many people, in Ireland and the UK believe that being a Republican means being a supporter of SFIRA, when it does not.
    I'm sure some people with it in their sigs have slightly different feelings to the situation than me, but I feel that that's the general idea behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

flogen wrote:
    I call myself a real republican for a number of reasons;
    1) I support the Irish Republic and believe in the ideals it was created under. SFIRA and other extremist groups do not recognise the legitimacy of the Republic of Ireland at all, nor do they recognise the Gardai, Oglaigh na hEireann, The President, The Oireachtas, etc. etc.

really? so Sinn Fein didn't split into seperate groups in 1986, with one (Provisional SinnFein) recognising the legitamacy of The Dail and as a result, the Irish Republic?

• Advertisement

really? so Sinn Fein didn't split into seperate groups in 1986, with one (Provisional SinnFein) recognising the legitamacy of The Dail and as a result, the Irish Republic?

No, Sinn Fein split in 1986 over the issue of taking seats in the Dail, they also take seats won from NI in Westminister, but they don't recognise British rule on the island or Ireland... there's a big difference between recognising the legitimacy of something and co-operating with it, at least as far as Sinn Fein go... they only recognise some faux 32 county republic which they've made themselves represenatives of, hence the reason why their army, the IRA, refer to themselves as the real Oglaigh na hEireann...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

While I agree with every single word you have said it would be churlish not to admit that the IRA called themselves Oglaigh na hEireann long before our current army came into being.

Hagar wrote:
    While I agree with every single word you have said it would be churlish not to admit that the IRA called themselves Oglaigh na hEireann long before our current army came into being.

Well, yes, a group refered to in history as the IRA did indeed refer to themselves as that, but it's not the same one that Gerry and Co. support, no IMO anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Hagar wrote:

I thought the IRA who referred to themselves as Oglaigh na hEireann originally, became the Irish Free State army, and so the national army took the name Oglaigh na hEireann because their origins were in the (pro-treaty) IRA.

Every IRA in the history of Ireland refers to itself as Oglaigh na hEireann, so does the Irish State Army of the Irish Republic (and yes, they did come from pro-treaty armed forces).
    The names Provisional, Continuity, Official, Original, Old and Real are all used to make it easier for the by stander to distinguish between the different parts, and is also a way of not confusing them with the army of the state. Oglaigh means servants or servicemen or something... and each group calling itself Oglaigh na hEireann claims to be a direct descendant of the original IRA/oglaigh na hEireann... it's very messy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Oglaigh na hEireann = Volunteers of Ireland

Oglaigh na hEireann = Volunteers of Ireland

Thank you; my Irish is appauling as you can see !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

flogen wrote:
    No, Sinn Fein split in 1986 over the issue of taking seats in the Dail, they also take seats won from NI in Westminister, but they don't recognise British rule on the island or Ireland... there's a big difference between recognising the legitimacy of something and co-operating with it, at least as far as Sinn Fein go... they only recognise some faux 32 county republic which they've made themselves represenatives of, hence the reason why their army, the IRA, refer to themselves as the real Oglaigh na hEireann...

i would have thought that on co-operating with the Dail/Stormont, they would have technically recognised the legitimacy of the states. having said that though, SF are masters of wording things to suit themselves.

i would have thought that on co-operating with the Dail/Stormont, they would have technically recognised the legitimacy of the states. having said that though, SF are masters of wording things to suit themselves.

Well that's just it; they don't recognise British rule on the island but they're happy to stand in British elections, for seats in England, take the money for it etc. etc.

but that's another matter...

Advertisement