Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Band!

Options
  • 17-03-2006 7:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi All
    Trying to gain a consensus on how best to layer additional tracks over a live solo performance (Leaving the debate on the Idea itself aside*) . How do you feel is best to have , programmed beat , some guitar lead and maybe synth support a live acoustic guitar and vocal . I want to figure out a way of doin it cheap as in ear wireless headphones etc are out of budget.

*Also does anyone feel that doing this is akin to the one man wedding/40th party band . Does one feel it can be done in a way that genuinely enhances the live performance without looking tacky, apparently David Kitt used alot of programmed beats and effects when playing live on his own.

Appreciate all opinions
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Briony Noh

This is what I do with old, old tapes: Using Cubase, set the MIDI tempo to the pre-record tempo using the Mastertrack option. Once done, which in itself can take a few hours, layer (synth) drum track alongside the live WAV (Audio) track. From there on it's just a matter of playing along to get what you want.

If it's live drums you're after, just lay a click track for the drummer to follow and let him (you?) play along live.

Really, there's no great mystery to the whole thing. If anyone knows of a speedier first step, though, I'd love to hear it.

Now, it's possible I may have misunderstood the entire question. Is it layering pre-records along side a live performance, as in playing live to a backing track? Otherwise, where is the need for "in ear wireless headphones etc". If this is the case, then surely you just turn up the fold-back. Am I wrong? If that's what you're talking about, then you're on your own. You need to trade off what you can/want to play live and what you need to add to fill in the gaps. Personally, I'd probably stick with drum/bass, possibly with a synth pad or something, and play the rest live, particularly since a pre-recorded lead makes you look stupid while you're waiting for your cue to start singing again and the audience is sitting there wondering where you lifted the guitar solo from. Just be certain you have your bar count down to the millisecond or you could find yourself finishing the song after the rest of the band has packed up their power chords and gone home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭jessop1

you should check out ableton live software www.ableton.com

probably the best, most flexible and easy to use live performance software ther is at the moment. greast for studio production too.

Advertisement