Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Falling Man

• 17-03-2006 7:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else see this on Channel 4 last night?

What an upsetting documentary. I don't mean upsetting as in crap. (sorry! finding it hard to put into words how I feel following the programme) It really made you think about what you would have done in that situation. Would you have jumped or would you have waited for the inevitable?

It's amazing how a photograph can move you to react in different ways. I don't think the press expected the reaction they got to that picture of that poor soul jumping to his death on that terrible day (The Jumping Man).

Was anybody else moved by the programme?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

Thought it was very interesting programme,I knew about people jumping from the tower but had forgotten it really until the programme shown lastnight.

I think the women who they thought her brother was the falling man said *He put his faith in god when he jumped* or something like that.I suppose all the jumpers thought that they might be saved in someway if they jumped.

I dont know,cant really imagine what would go through your head if in that situation.

But some who were on the phones to loved ones and texting knew that it was the end and faced it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

In that kind of situation, I'll be honest: I'd probably think irrationally, and venture that maybe an updraft could catch me or something mad like that and, thus, jumping would represent hope - whereas a fire being x amount of feet away from me would represent certain death.

That'd be my take on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

Yea, I found it difficult to watch and had to change channels a few time throughout. (choice between that and the boy with the amazing brain on discovery)
    I have been enjoying c4's docu series of late, last week it was the road to quantanamo which was.. interesting. They both started out innocently enough and slowly thickenthe plot on about half way through. Next week is has docu about the decaying state of Russia. (I think)

Falling man made me uncomfortable, shed a tear or two and I felt feel angry in some parts. There was a sense of post traumatic stress disorder about it and it was hard not to get too involved in those emotions.

[edit: waves at the spell czeckers]

Advertisement