Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone line in a new apt - is this possible?

Options
  • 17-03-2006 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am moving into a new apt and rang Smart about getting their phone & broadband package, my appartment is wired with a phone line but there is a white cap over where the phone line connection is. So Smart told me that I should be able to get an electician to put the normal connection part on and then they will be able to connect me, rather than getting Eircom involved and paying €130 I think.
    Anyone got any ideas if this will work? I would rather pay an electrician for the job and get connected to Smart quicker than going around the Eircom route and them releasing the line to Smart, which takes time.

Mods - if you think that this should be in Broadband forum, can you move it, but I think that it is more of a DIY query.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I have never heard of this sort of thing. Can you post a picture of the socket?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

There is nothing to stop you from getting a sparks to put a socket on the wall but it will still have to be switched on at the exchange and you will have to pay eircom to do that anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭robo

So the best option then would be to go through Eircom then and then change to Smart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Do some reading online - ask a bunch of questions here (there's some very well informed folk on boards.ie). You could easily wire a socket yourself. All the bits you need are available in places like Maplins - faceplate etc. All you need is a faceplate with 1 or 2 sockets. From there you only need to know where to connect the wires on the line coming in to the back of the socket.

If you're prepared to spend €100 on getting Eircon to send out someone to do this... I'll do it for €99 :D

If you can replace an electrical plug then you can wire a phone socket.

Well if someone would like to come around and price the job for me, they are more than welcome. But I would like someone who knows what they are talking about and are pretty sure what they are doing.

I did google this but I am not 100% sure what kind of line etc. and I was shown a load of American sites. I do know how to wire a plug but I would be a bit dubious about connecting a phone line.
    The main reason that I would like this done without going through Eircom is to get it done quickly. Cos if I go through Eircom, that can take a few weeks for a technician and then another few weeks to change to Smart!

But thanks for your feedback guys and the reason I posted here for suggestions is cos I know how knowledgeable you guys are ;)

• Advertisement

Cormic wrote:
    I have never heard of this sort of thing. Can you post a picture of the socket?

Sorry when I say cap, I mean a blank faceplate with no socket to plug in the phone jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

These people can help you better.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Victor wrote:

Thanks Victor, I have posted there now with a link to this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

hi.i'm a sparkie myself .the white cover is most likely where eircom will fit their 'ntu' or the main eircom socket so i think you need to get them out.they'll take off the cover and replace it ,a sparkie can't do this

davelerave wrote:
    hi.i'm a sparkie myself .the white cover is most likely where eircom will fit their 'ntu' or the main eircom socket so i think you need to get them out.they'll take off the cover and replace it ,a sparkie can't do this
    Thanks for that Sparkie. Smart told me that an electrician should be able to do that!!! I think that I will call Eircom in to do the job.

• Advertisement

normally eircom connect the main socket and a sparkie can add on points,this is the way they're done down the country anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Doesn't the phone lin in an apartment usually consist of a Cat 5 that runs from one outlet in an apartment down to a main panel some where in the building?

you could be right about that .in a large apartment block i'd imagine eircom's jurisidiction ends at the basement where each apartment's line is connected .
    so the sparkie may be able to fit the first point in the apartment.for houses
    and small apartment blocks eircom maintain the line as far as the main point inside the house which they fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Few pic of the terminal block

your eircom ntu(the main phone socket) is actually fitted ,is your line on.you need the line activated then you connect the two wires for the additional points to L1 and L2 on the eircom box and replace the cover

Advertisement