Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasers - Cheapskates!

• 17-03-2006 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone see the Irish Times story today? Under the new penny-pinching regime at Man Utd many Old Trafford employees and fringe/reserve players
    are being asked to pay for thier own tickets for the League Cup final!

Click the attachment.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

That is shocking, how can they justify giving that many tickets to sponsors etc and not to someone who has actually helped put them there??? I know sponsors help pay for the running of the club but come on, thats insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Thats a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Not that shocking, every company in the US is the same, they will pay for nothing for the employees but for customer they get all the perks, have worked for numerous American companies and they would do the exact same.

This is just another attempt by the anti Glazer group to stir the poo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

i think its hilarious tbh exactly wat i'd expect of the glaziers with the financial situation they're in but in fairness it shows no respect to the players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Exactly its USA business culture which means the club will end up like some franchise to be moved to London when they realise thats where most supporters are (or Tokyo!).

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

i think its hilarious tbh exactly wat i'd expect of the glaziers with the financial situation they're in but in fairness it shows no respect to the players

Well it just mentions fridge players, this could be anyone. How many players would Utd have on there books at the moment at all levels? the press will always make it seem worse. It could be that anyone playing outside the First team squad and reserver team 1 had to buy there tickets which would be ok in my eyes. Don't Utd have 2-3 reserve team squads? they are in 2 reserve leagues. So if everyone on the playing staff gets a tickets that would be a few hundred tickets which would work out alot. This prob happened the same before the Glaziers but only reported now because the press know it will cause trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Well it mentions Richie Jones, who played in three of the earlier rounds and is still supposed to have been forced to pay...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Sounds shocking, but tbh, I really don't care if the cleaning lady had to pay for her own ticket or not. Now, I think she should get one, but it won't bother me if she doesn't. Does it really matter to someone in Dublin if a fringe player in Manchester has to fork out £60 for a ticket to a game?

In contrast, Shelbourne are paying to bring a coach of Linfields Junior Supporters Club (i.e: the kids fan club) to the game in Dublin on Monday, complete with free tickets. It's a funny ol' world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Richie Jones not getting a ticket is shocking, but I saw this when it came out.
    Initally I was quite annoyed, thought it was pretty harsh.
    Then it worked out that if they do this, just purely in tickets and whathave, they would make on average an extra 200000 grand a year.
    Then after that, the benefit to sponsors would be unknown, but considering United are about to sign a record 15 million a year deal for shirt sponsors, I can't fault his methods.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

U S A, U S A!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

emm well if you are being paid 100,000 pounds a week +, why the hell should you also be given free tickets. I agree with this completely.

There was a program on recently about what players will do after football - and Ferdinand revealed that his car is cleaned during training by the club and if he has a problem with anything, i think the example was something wrong in his house, he would ring the club and they would sort it. They are treated very well, they get sponsorship left, right and centre and they are paid huge money; now while i think fairplay to them they are doing a decent job (except for rio the most overated cb in the prem ;) ) - they can afford a couple of tickets each week.

and finally it was hardly their tickets as they were playing so most likely their families!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Call_me_al wrote:
    emm well if you are being paid 100,000 pounds a week +, why the hell should you also be given free tickets. I agree with this completely.

There was a program on recently about what players will do after football - and Ferdinand revealed that his car is cleaned during training by the club and if he has a problem with anything, i think the example was something wrong in his house, he would ring the club and they would sort it. They are treated very well, they get sponsorship left, right and centre and they are paid huge money; now while i think fairplay to them they are doing a decent job (except for rio the most overated cb in the prem ;) ) - they can afford a couple of tickets each week.

and finally it was hardly their tickets as they were playing so most likely their families!!

Did you even read the OP?

Since when are reserve/youth players on 100,000 grand a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Even if we agreed all concerned could actually stump up 70 quid for a ticket that not the point. Its the fact that the Glazer policy consideres employees to be in two camps - the worthy and the 'dismissable' that points the way to Utds future woes. A football club like any other close knit body relies on an 'esprit de corps' to be effective. If an "Us and Them" mentality takes hold it wont be long before worms start turning.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

PHB wrote:
    Then it worked out that if they do this, just purely in tickets and whathave, they would make on average an extra 200000 grand a year.

200,000 grand = 200 million. You really think Man Utd would make 200 million extra per year if they made fringe-players pay for their own tickets? :p

Advertisement