Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Cup Draw

• 17-03-2006 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Quarter finals:
    Sevilla v Zenit St Petersburg
    Basle v MIDDLESBROUGH
    Rapid Bucharest v Steaua Bucharest
    Levski Sofia v Schalke

Semis:
    Sofia/Shalke v Sevilla/Zenit St Petersburg
    Rapid Bucharest/Steaua Bucharest v Basle/MIDDLESBROUGH

Not a bad draw for Middlesbrough - home for the second leg in the quaters and the semis if they make it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sevilla v Zenit St Petersburg
    Basle v MIDDLESBROUGH
    Levski Sofia v Schalke

Jesus Pats could take half of them, thats a shocking draw. Hardly cream of european football in there.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

i'd agree with that, would have thought there'd be alot more quality teams left. i can see a 'boro schalke final tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Boro or Seville should win it but Zenit St Petersburg caused a major shock by knocking otu Marseille. I know nothing about them but they must be useful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Devious wrote:

Hmmm, dont know how intense the rivalry is, but this should make for a couple of interesting matches.
    From reading up about it before we played Steaua last year, and talking to Romanians, pretty damn intense rivalry there! :)

Incidentally, I'd expect Steaua to overcome 'Boro.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Hmmm, dont know how intense the rivalry is, but this should make for a couple of interesting matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

KdjaC wrote:
    Jesus Pats could take half of them

Rofl! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

KdjaC wrote:
    Jesus Pats could take half of them, thats a shocking draw. Hardly cream of european football in there.

kdjac

Still wouldnt take dundalk ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

and dundalk COULDN'T take Rovers

And Rovers couldn't take Shels... ;)

A thread about the UEFA Cup 1/4 final, mentioning Shels, Rovers, Pats and Dundalk, keep dreamin lads!

MrJoeSoap wrote:

A thread about the UEFA Cup 1/4 final, mentioning Shels, Rovers, Pats and Dundalk, keep dreamin lads!

Bemoaning the lack of quality more so than wishing, look at 5th and 6th in all leagues now, you expect some sort of quality in the UEFA cup.

kdjac

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:

then again rovers and shels have yet to play a competitave match this season, mores the pity.

funny as it sounds mentioning EL teams but i wonder if they could do the business against some of those micky mouse outfits

blu_sonic wrote:
    then again rovers and shels have yet to play a competitave match this season, mores the pity.

Yeah the friendly certainly wasn't competitive, and we only had nine men! Zing! :D

what can you say the phrase dirty shels jumps to mind, but i guess im dirty minded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac

Thats what happens when you allow 4 teams from your league to qualify for the champions league.
    All the quality teams are already in the champions league

Thats what happens when you allow 4 teams from your league to qualify for the champions league.
    All the quality teams are already in the champions league

And even worse when they get knocked out they get a free go in the Uefa cup.

Oddly none of the CL freebies are left in it.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Pfft, Sligo Rovers could take on all of your teams. :p Fifth in the Premier after one match, not a bad start.

Boro really could go all the way now, but the same could be said for any of the last eight. Sevilla have had a decent season but they need to win by at least two goals if they want to survive in Saint Petersburg. The fact that the Russian League has just started might cause Zenit's downfall. We're getting to the sharp end of the competition now.

Basle seem to have the measure of their competition in the Swiss League, even if they're only leading by 7 points right now (reduced to 4 if FC Zurich win). They should be able to concentrate on their match against Boro, and they should not be taken lightly. Boro have the advantage of the second leg at home. A good first leg result will set them up very nicely for their home leg. Boro can win this tournament but the trip to Bucharest could scupper their plans. It's not an easy city to play in, no matter whether you're playing Rapid or Steaua.

I'm really looking forward to the Bucharest derby. Rapid are sixth place in the Romanian league, six points behind second placed Steaua. They last played in October, that match ended in a 0-0 draw. I fancy Shalke to beat Levski Sofia. All I know about Sofia is that they're second in the Bulgarian League.

Advertisement