Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

abit of help with overclocking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

get this ............. http://www.freewarefiles.com/program_9_208_17619.html (btw I gave you this link before on Boards)

instal

get the latest bios for your PC

and use the Easy FLash option to FLash it simplest and safest!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

See, I havent done alot of research into 2gb memory kits, I "only" have 1 gig:rolleyes:

But as you can see with the 2gb kit the max he could get was DDR500 at 3-4-4-8

Where as with the 1 gb kit you can get more than DDR600 with these latencies......

Also the problem with buying a single 1 gb stick now is it wont operate in Dual channel, and when you go to buy a second one in a few months, DDR will be less common and it may be hard to find a matching stick:(

Anyway, try ask Wizzard or someone with lots of money about a 2gb kit of ram:D

I hear G skill and Geil make excellent 2gb kits, and Geil had a 2gb kit for sale for $145 on newegg recently:eek:

So if you have relatives in America, ask them to order from newegg from you, as i dont think GEil memory is available from Komplett/ OCuk and if it is it will cost a lot more than $145

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ok i think i might go for your Crucial Ballistix and then update when everone else is

ok i think i might go for your Crucial Ballistix and then update when everone else is

did you flash?

doing it now

take me a while because of ****y asus soft i have to get a flopy drive so i have to swap it with my old pc.so it back and foward.

• Advertisement

I never said not to get 2gb its more future proof, but not needed yet;)

My next upgrade will probably be a 2gb kit of DDR400 and opty 170:D

But not for a few months,until i see what AM2 is like, This system will last me a few years, hopefully:rolleyes:

Just be sure there will be no power cuts during the bios flash:D

P.s why didnt you download from the official ASUS site

i did the bois ?

Sorry i thought you downloaded the Bios from freewarefilees.com:o

SO are you flashed yet??

You should now have overclocking options...........

I am going to wath Lost, Siya tomorrow;)

watched lost upto ep 16 se2 good .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

B00MSTICK wrote:
    You use a memory divider if your FSB is too high to for your memory i.e if you have value ram but your processor can do 3000mhz (300*10) but your RAM can only go at 250mhz (500 DDR) then you can run your FSB at 300 and have a 5/6 Divider which makes your RAM run at 250.

Ok that doesn't really help me as the CPU Frequency is at 200Mhz, which I understand is the FSB, and I was told that the "Memclock index value (Mhz)" is the RAM divider... but its not a fraction or ratio, its set at 400Mhz.

So which is it, which value is clocking the RAM? The CPU Frequency or the Memclock index value? If it is the memclock index value, then will pushing my CPU frequency up affect my RAM?

BIOS Image of memclock index value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

If you change the FSB does the Memclock Index val change?

Here's a great overclocking guide btw http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823

That actually is a good guide. But it is mainly explaining the HTT Bus which I understand.

I actually did a bit of digging around and it turns out the memclock index value is the divider, just instead of naming it Divider and setting it as ratios they named it memclock and set it to Mhz??? Helps me out to no end as i've been hearing all this stuff about ratios for the RAM but i couldn't see any in the BIOS. So 200 (1:2) 266 (2:3) 333 (5:6) 400 (1:1) DOH!!!

Right so, down to some overclocking.

conzymaher wrote:
    Sorry i thought you downloaded the Bios from freewarefilees.com:o

SO are you flashed yet??

You should now have overclocking options...........

I am going to wath Lost, Siya tomorrow;)

Thats just a fast link to the Asus Easyflash utility!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

just wondering what everyone thinks about over-clocking a laptop?

L31mr0d wrote:
    That actually is a good guide. But it is mainly explaining the HTT Bus which I understand.

I actually did a bit of digging around and it turns out the memclock index value is the divider, just instead of naming it Divider and setting it as ratios they named it memclock and set it to Mhz??? Helps me out to no end as i've been hearing all this stuff about ratios for the RAM but i couldn't see any in the BIOS. So 200 (1:2) 266 (2:3) 333 (5:6) 400 (1:1) DOH!!!

Right so, down to some overclocking.

YAY:D

Yup, I said that earlier that the memclock indecx value is the divider.

Asus just write it as an index value instead of writing it as a ratio.

Anyway, good luck, and post some benchmarks of before and after.

Aquamark 3 has a good CPU test

@ Kamakazi, Most laptops have no overclocking features at all, and they struggle to get rid of the heat the generate as it is.

Some people do overclock laptops, but I have never, I dont even have a laptop:(

You could maybe use clockgen, and A64 tweaker if you have an AMD CPU

Ive tried to oc my Inspiron 9300 with CG to no avail. The 6800 go in it is oced a fair bit though.

Yeah you can overclock laptop GFX with the coolbits registery tweak for Nvidia cards or the ATI tool for ATI cards.

I saw a thread somewhere, where a guy improved the HSF on a 6800ultra go.

Oh and

40-50 degrees is the max safe overclocked full load temperature of a 90nm A64, You can run them at up to 65 degree but i wouldnt. and i wouldnt go above 1.55 vcore if you wanted to be safe ;)

ok it looks like this program wont let me flash because they are 2 diffrent boises(hint hint asus updater).so i so hard to do it in the bios with a floppy..

should i try a dos flash.

should i try a dos flash.

if you know what your doing yes, but not advised !

• Advertisement

It should work!

I just flashed a ASUS A8N-E bios 10 minutes ago with the ASUS update utility (nice program by the way)

It just wipes the eeprom, and writes the new one, it shouldnt be affected by the old one.

You have to have the 6.65 version of the chipset drivers installed to flash to the latest bios. That could be the problem.

Unless Siemans used a smaller Eeprom and the new bios will not fit on it???

hmm i think i will wait until they can send me a chip.i was talking to them to today seem like nice people.

conzymaher wrote:
    YAY:D

Yup, I said that earlier that the memclock indecx value is the divider.

Yeah sorry, I got that, I just didn't understand how to use it and what it refered to. The frequency representation was throwing me, I needed to see it set out as ratios. BTW, does a ratio of 1:2 with a FSB of 250Mhz, mean the RAM will be running at 125MHz, doubled to 250Mhz?

Also about the BIOS, whats the big deal with just flashing the eeprom? The ASUS utility is excellent, a hell of a lot easier then going through DOS (damn floppys :mad: ) But if you can't get the ASUS utility running, just get a copy of the updated BIOS (or a cracked one, usually has more facilities unlocked for overclocking) put it on a boot disk, boot into dos and load it. On bootdisk.com they have a CD image of DOS, which you can use specifically for flashing so you don't even need a floppy drive.

IMHO, its a lot more dangerous to your system swapping out a BIOS chip then simply flashing it to the latest BIOS version. Its a bit difficult to follow this thread but have you actually flashed your BIOS yet? Why are you getting a new chip?

L31mr0d wrote:
    Yeah sorry, I got that, I just didn't understand how to use it and what it refered to. The frequency representation was throwing me, I needed to see it set out as ratios. BTW, does a ratio of 1:2 with a FSB of 250Mhz, mean the RAM will be running at 125MHz, doubled to 250Mhz?

Also about the BIOS, whats the big deal with just flashing the eeprom? The ASUS utility is excellent, a hell of a lot easier then going through DOS (damn floppys :mad: ) But if you can't get the ASUS utility running, just get a copy of the updated BIOS (or a cracked one, usually has more facilities unlocked for overclocking) put it on a boot disk, boot into dos and load it. On bootdisk.com they have a CD image of DOS, which you can use specifically for flashing so you don't even need a floppy drive.

IMHO, its a lot more dangerous to your system swapping out a BIOS chip then simply flashing it to the latest BIOS version. Its a bit difficult to follow this thread but have you actually flashed your BIOS yet? Why are you getting a new chip?

You can render your board useless if your not confident in what your doin............

[QUOTE=L31mr0d
    ]BTW, does a ratio of 1:2 with a FSB of 250Mhz, mean the RAM will be running at 125MHz, doubled to 250Mhz?[/QUOTE]

Yes, although that seems like a low speed if its DDR400 RAM you should be able to go 5:6 or at least 2:3. Or you could just be using this as an example and in that case your right.

Its unlikely, but if the power fails while flashing, the board is useless until you can get it flashed with the correct bios, also if you flash the wrong bios to the board you could bork it.

You see ASUS quote the memclock index value as DDR (double data rate), so half all of the numbers for working out your ratios........

If the Memclock index value is DDR400mhz (200mhz)
    And your FSB is 250mhz, well then your memory runs at DDR500 (250mhz)

If the Memclock index value is DDR333mhz (166mhz)
    And your FSB is 250mhz, well then your memory runs at DDR415 (207.5mhz)

If the Memclock index value is DDR266mhz (133mhz)
    And your FSB is 250mhz, well then your memory runs at DDR333mhz (166mhz)

And so on.............

So lets aim for 2.4ghz for now, so 2400mhz / 11 = 220mhz

So we need a 220mhz fsb, If you ram can do this speed DDR440mhz then leave the memclock index value at 400mhz, if not drop it down to 333mhz.

so your ram now runs at 182mhz (DDR 365) you are losing performance here :(

Basically you want to keep your memory as close as possible to stock, while overclocking the CPU

Drapper wrote:
    You can render your board useless if your not confident in what your doin............

Where you refering to flashing the BIOS or overclocking your system. I've flashed and reflashed every BIOS i've ever had, there is only going to be problems if you're a m00k who doesn't backup the old BIOS, or pulls out the plug because it stalls for a second. Its all there in the Readme with the flash utility anyway.

Thanks for the help with the ratios guys, I should be getting my PSU tomorrow. Is there much point running any overclocking or benchmarking before getting my 6800U? I mean it is PCI-E, so even if I get a stable OC'd system with my present 4MB PCI card, the 6800 added to the system might completely throw off my OC'ing, as it draws a lot of power and also clocking the FSB supposedly affects the PCI-E bus aswell. I think its a flaw with the ASUS A8N-SLI which was rectified with the DLX.

L31mr0d wrote:
    Where you refering to flashing the BIOS or overclocking your system.

Thats what I was getting at! could render the Board useless.........

Once you set the PCI clock syncronisation to 33.33mhz
    And set the PCI-express bus to 100mhz, it will be perfect.

The 6800ultra draws alot of power but the enermax liberty is more than able for it, It could probably run to in SLI;)

Overclock away once you get the enermax liberty, there is no need to wait for the PCI-Express graphics card.

• Advertisement

conzymaher wrote:
    Once you set the PCI clock syncronisation to 33.33mhz
    And set the PCI-express bus to 100mhz, it will be perfect.

good tip! works perfect, got this from DFI site but its important to know

Advertisement