Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Hand Gun

Options
  • 17-03-2006 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

So if i can convince the super that i have a good reason to own a hand gun in a paticular caliber & i have enough land to shoot on, then not a bother, right so who and where would i buy it from, i've never seen any advertised here, and every dealer i've spoke to abroad gives the usual reply of "Dont do exports", any body out there bought or know of any one who's bought a hand gun in Ireland (Legally, dont wanna be blamed for even more bad press being dumped on honest shooters). any web address's or phone numbers appretiated, looking for Glock 22 .40SW or HK USP .40SW
    also anybody heard of a proposed ban on Wildfowling this coming season as a contingency for H5N1, a local ghillie gave me the nod on a rumor he's been hearing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

What would you intend on shooting with a hand gun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

So if i can convince the super that i have a good reason to own a hand gun in a paticular caliber & i have enough land to shoot on, then not a bother,
    It doesn't matter if you own all the land in Ireland (although, if you DID, you could make up your own laws and all this would be moo*), currently the only acceptable reason for licencing a handgun is for the purpose of target shooting. Pegging bullets at tin cans down the field does not count as target shooting.
    Proof of membership of a club with a handgun range appears to be a basic requirement at the moment, before we get into all the other stuff an applicant must conform with (lack of criminal record, secure storage, etc).

*moo- Ref. Joey out of Friends: "It's like a cow's opinion, it doesn't matter"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 KerryShooter

i want to get into Handgun target shooting not plinking, the land is too practice on, not sure if the clubs around here are into handguns, tis mainly game with shotguns, i've held 2 shotgun licences for the past 6 yrs for game, so already have cabinet etc, never joined the local club as i have access to a hell of alot of land for shooting, so for a hand gun licence i need to get involved with a sporting pistol club, any main web site??

fermoy too far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Or you could take up practical pistol.There are a few members of the Irish practical shooting assoc on the board here.If you are a deer hunter another "good reason" is ,but ASFIK never been tried here is humane dispatch of wounded/injured deer.
    As for the clubs thing,well there isnt a huge amount of pistol clubs or set ups here in Ireland due to the forced 35 year sleep.So there must be a hell of a lot of members per club or a few folks have them and are not gunclub members.BTW if you are in Kerry,what about the Kerry rifle&pistol club? Think
    Jim Halpin in Listowel is involved in it.

• Advertisement

yeah practical pistol is the way i want to go, mates of mine in the UK used to do practical rifle & practical shotgun, i'm in South Kerry but i could give Jim a call,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

It all depends on your local Superintendent, he signs the firearms license for your pistol. Go to your local firearms officer in your local Garda station and see what happens, then work from there. No point in having hopes and then the Super is anti-pistol.

Yeah i think i'll be best to pop down and have a chat with him, but at least i'm aware of the fact that there are shooters out there that do legally & lawfully own handguns,

yeah practical pistol is the way i want to go, mates of mine in the UK used to do practical rifle & practical shotgun, i'm in South Kerry but i could give Jim a call,

Landers in Tralee might be closer then?

Is Tim involved with Practical Pistol?? i know he's into the rifles himself & i bought one of my shotguns from him..

• Advertisement

No,i mentioned them as being able to direct you to the kerry rifle team/club.:D

cool i'll give him a bell, think i'll pop down to the station first and have a chat with the sarge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

where is the fermoy gunclub and dont say cork anyone any info on it

Not sure about the Fermoy one but Kerry gun club is in Castleisland, not sure if it has Handgun shooting but supposed to be set up very well for Rifle & Clay pigeon. i was gonna phone them today to ask about handguns but got busy at work, i'll try tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Or you can visit here

http://www.fermoyrifleclub.com

and get the low down on us and what we're about.

Shar.

Advertisement