Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ADSL wireless router

• 17-03-2006 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi everyone can anyone recommend an adsl wireless router/ modem,
    I need it for games and working from home, at present I have the Netgear
    DG834G which is rubbish as it keeps droping the connection.

Thank you in advance.

ampps............

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I do not think there is anything supposed to be wrong with what you have.. I have a Dlink 604T and a Zyxel 600 series.. both perfect.. sure its not a connection prob?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ampps

ampps wrote:
    Hi everyone can anyone recommend an adsl wireless router/ modem,
    I need it for games and working from home, at present I have the Netgear
    DG834G which is rubbish as it keeps droping the connection.

Thank you in advance.

ampps............

Hi Saruman, I do not think so I haved used a friends Zyxel modem and the line did not drop.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ampps wrote:
    Hi Saruman, I do not think so I haved used a friends Zyxel modem and the line did not drop.

Did you try using the Netgear on your friends line? Have you updated the firmware?

Has it been dropping since the speed upgrades or has it always been a problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Have to go with Saruman on this, its just way to simple to blame the router first.

As dub45 says check the firmware, try the router in your friends house (just to be sure there is no local interference), do you know if anyone is using a microwave when you get dropped? Microwaves use the ISM band too.

What card are you connecting to on PC? Has it a directly connected aerial or one on a cord that you can place in a higher position and lastly how far apart are the router and PC?

Hello all I have the latest firmware, it's right beside pc and it has a connected aerial, I will try it in friends house and get back to you, thanks again................

• Advertisement

ampps wrote:
    Hello all I have the latest firmware, it's right beside pc and it has a connected aerial, I will try it in friends house and get back to you, thanks again................

Emm if it normally sits next to the computer in question then why not just use an ethernet cable, much faster for those intranet tranfers?

=================
    Ahh yes, 100th post since joining boards.ie:D

Emm if it normally sits next to the computer in question then why not just use an ethernet cable, much faster for those intranet tranfers?

=================
    Ahh yes, 100th post since joining boards.ie:D

Hi MunsterCycling, it is connected with ethernet.

ampps wrote:
    Hi MunsterCycling, it is connected with ethernet.

One Word: Linksys.

ampps wrote:
    what do you think about Us robotics or D-link, can you recommend a Linksys wireless router/modem.
    (from pm, thought it better to reply here)

Can't really give an opinion on the US Robotics or D-Link, not used any of their equipment. At the moment I have the Belkin BB WiFi Router with 4 port switch (I know I know after all my giving out about them) but after changing the laptop card to a Linksys WPC54G I have found that I have much greater range and reliability. That said I still do get dropped wireless connections but thats only because of distance from the router and the thick walls here in the house (4-5 inches solid, old 1880s building) so I can't fault the router.

Think the penny has finally dropped that this is not neccessarily a WiFi problem but more like a line sync problem. Have you been upgraded to a higher speed line in the last while and what sync speed are you getting? Maybe the Netgear can't cope???:confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

For some strange reason a lot of Netgears do not seem to be coping well with the speed upgrades:( There have been quite a few posts on boards about this.

check what your line stats are on the netgear and post them here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement