Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does home network transfers affect download/upload usage ??

• 17-03-2006 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Can't find a concrete solution anywhere but......
    I've got bt broadband and a wireless router, I have 2 PC's connected to the router and i setup a home to transfer files between both PC's, now I'm wondering if my download/upload limit for the month will be affected by transferring files between my PC's ???

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

guesswho wrote:
    Can't find a concrete solution anywhere but......
    I've got bt broadband and a wireless router, I have 2 PC's connected to the router and i setup a home to transfer files between both PC's, now I'm wondering if my download/upload limit for the month will be affected by transferring files between my PC's ???

Thanks in advance
    No it won't be affected. Download/Upload usage is only based on what you upload/download from the internet and not between PCs. That's why if you disconnect your modem/router from the phone line, your network still works as they are separate from the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 guesswho

OK cool, thanks for clearing that up, I just wanted to be sure before I started transferring large amounts of data, you know how precious bandwidth is when you only have 10gb a month !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

guesswho wrote:
    OK cool, thanks for clearing that up, I just wanted to be sure before I started transferring large amounts of data, you know how precious bandwidth is when you only have 10gb a month !!

I was going to make a smart comment....but I now realise your question had genuine concern.

10GB a month between your router and the internet.....internal network is uncapped:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

In fact skype drops down to 8m round trip between LAN PCs, suggesting that it goes Peer to Peer as soon as it finds the connection, so video skype on the LAN should not be a problem as long as your only firewall is the router. Disable internal XP or other Firewalls on the PCs or many otherwise peer apllications that would only use LAN BW, will bounce ALL the traffic via Internet servers.

If your Broadband connection has a NAT router/firewall then the internal Firewall SW on a PC serves no usefull purpose.

Typically all adsl have firewall, but cable TV and wireless basic "modem" boxes with one USB or / ethernet port don't.

If you have Wireless / Cable and one PC, then use the XP firewall.

If you have wireless / cable with more than one PC make sure you have a router/NAT/Firewall box (about 130 Euro) and not just a hub/switch, then turn off PC insternal firewall.

Advertisement