Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Digital Video Broadcast Handheld (DVB-H) Question

• 17-03-2006 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Looking at getting the upcoming Nokia N92 which has direct live tv broadcasting such as BBC World plus all the free to airs .

Does any one know how DVB-H works, does it require an enabled network ( if so any idea if vodafone cover it ie.. you can get Sky TV through 3g etc) or does it run directly from the phone without the need for an enable network.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭N90user

I doubt it the N92 will be out in Ireland for a while as Vodafone havnt even released mobile tv on their 3G phones yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

DVB-H does not run over or even 'with' 3G , it is a separate parallel technology that esentiallly broadcasts a micro digital TV picture in spectrum around that used by Analogue and Digital TV , say 500-700Mhz . While it will be broadcast it will be heavily encapsulated in a DRM layer as well.

The handset will need a different radio to a normal mobile 2g or 3g

It will rely on the 2g or 3g capability in the set for return channel data for channel selection and crypto/DRM

It will be here this year , I suspect 3 asked Comreg for a quick consultation which finished last month and that the licences will be awarded by the summer .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭N90user

Thanks for that S-B.

Anyone know the price of the N92? I reckon €900-€1100 sim freee when it first scomes out because if the N90 was €700ish when it came and this is a much better phone, I think 3G stores would actually sell it for this price. Then there are people who would actually spend that amount of money on it :rolleyes: *cought* Tom Cruise *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭themessiah

Cheers for the reply

As per what nokia have now told me it wont have any network subsidies and will be 650-700 euro sim free in europe and asia.

Yeah you need to have a broadcasting aerial installed somewhere in dublin to pick up the tv .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No, the aerial that picks up the TV is INSIDE the N92.

The Broadcasting will be done from some (not all) Mobile masts . It carries further than normal mobile signals and requires fewer masts for 100% coverage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement