Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jazz Novice

• 17-03-2006 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Just got into Jazz recently. Could anyone give me names of some hot fast tempo Jazz albums/artists.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Get some mid 40's Charlie Parker or some early Dizzy Gillespie stuff.
    Most bebop records will have fast tempos on a lot of the tunes.
    Look also at Organics (Irish Organ Trio) CD (available in tower) for some quality uptempo stuff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

There's a great Dizzy Gillespie album, with Sonny Stitt and Sonny Rollins called Sonny Side Up. One of the tracks - The Eternal Triangle - is a roast! Really up-beat and flies along, and for added excitement there's an unbelievable tenor sax duel between the Sonnys, one of the best this side of Lester and Hawkins tenor duels. Very energetic and exciting music altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Buddhapadge

You should check out Joe Henderson - I bought an album of his with Wynton Marsakis for like ten quid in Tower, and it's really good, nice jazz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

John Coltrane - Giant Steps
    John Coltrane - Blue Trane
    Pat Martino - Strings
    As was said Diz and Parker are great...
    Wynton Marsalis too...

There's loads really...

You should check out Joe Henderson - I bought an album of his with Wynton Marsakis for like ten quid in Tower, and it's really good, nice jazz.
    What album is it?

Can anyone recommend a good Wynton Marsalis album?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Marsalis is class alright, he was the one to bring back acoustic jazz from the 80s lets all use wah pedals and distortion on our trumpets period!
    Id go for Black codes from the underground as my favourite, though ive only got 2! He seems to be pretty consistent though.
    He's on that ipod ad actually if anyone has seen it. Makes me hate the bloody things more though, thought i wasn't in the target market!!!

Henderson is great too.

Birth of the cool by Miles Davis is a very accesible up tempo album, kinda mixes hard bop with bebop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Oh and dont forget Freddie Hubbard!!!!
    An absolute legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Freddie Hubbard - Live at the Vangaurd
    Sonny Rollins - Tenor Madness and Saxophone Collosus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Daddio wrote:
    Yeah I'm a big fan of Marsalis. You should hear his classical recordings too, he's an amazing player in either genre (you should hear him play Flight of the Bumblebee!).

My absolute favourite Marsalis album is "Wynton Marsalis with Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers, Live at Bubba's". It's a double CD, but I got it years ago so I don't know how easy it is to find. However apparently it was re-released as two separate CD's, Volume 1 "Time Will Tell" and Volume 2 "My ideal".

Really great stuff, get your hands on it if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Buddhapadge

Daddio wrote:
    What album is it?

The album is called "Lush Life" - a collection of tunes by Billy Strayhorn. It's really good. I think Wynton is a bit conservative for my tastes though.

• Advertisement

The album is called "Lush Life" - a collection of tunes by Billy Strayhorn. It's really good. I think Wynton is a bit conservative for my tastes though.
    Conservative eh? :p
    Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try and pick em up.

Night of the Cookers with Hubbard and Morgan is brilliant, a great live album <and for BlueNote trivia: I think it was the last double album designed by Reid Miles for the label. Now that's interesting ;) >

Tenor Madness is something I've been looking for aswell. Got The Bridge and Saxophone Collussus, they're somethin else!

Advertisement