Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid question but....

• 17-03-2006 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

You know the way that swans stay with their partners for lives. Well, if their partner dies, are they aware of this and will they seek a new partner?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

nollaig wrote:
    You know the way that swans stay with their partners for lives. Well, if their partner dies, are they aware of this and will they seek a new partner?

Why do you think it's a stupid question? I think it's quite a good question.

(Sorry, I don't know the answer!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Why do you think it's a stupid question? I think it's quite a good question.

(Sorry, I don't know the answer!)

I guess its becuase I dont know much about birds and wildlife(although Id love to learn more and am trying:D ) and this forum is prob. used by very intelligent and smart brid watchers!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

nollaig wrote:
    I guess its becuase I dont know much about birds and wildlife(although Id love to learn more and am trying:D ) and this forum is prob. used by very intelligent and smart brid watchers!!!

Sorry, you're stuck with this dumb birdwatcher!! :) Swans are generally monogamous, (some cobs will stray though!!) On the death of a partner/mate some will and some will not pair up again. It's just like us peoples...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Sorry, you're stuck with this dumb birdwatcher!! Swans are generally monogamous, (some cobs will stray though!!) On the death of a partner/mate some will and some will not pair up again. It's just like us peoples...

Thanks, I've always wondered about that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

We've three types of swan in Ireland. Bewick and Whooper fly in for the winter and are not so common, the Mute is the one that was introduced (I think) and now breeds here.

I suspect they do re-pair after a mate dies, but if you want the definitive answer why not shoot an email to mooney goes wild on one? Richard Collins is a resident expert on the programme and his speciality is Swans in Ireland. In fact he has personally studied (and ringed) most of the Mute swans around Dublin for years so could probably tell you exactly if/which swans paired up with which after different Mates died!

• Advertisement
Advertisement